Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Clean house

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by Jonsaint, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Jonsaint

Jonsaint PetForums Newbie

Hi all. I'm new to keeping chickens and despite lots online, I can't get a proper answer. My question is can you use normal disinfectant to clean inside the hen house? In a spray bottle and then left to dry on its own or shall I use the stuff they sell on the chicken websites?
    Any advice would be grateful.
    Thanks.

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Hi, I use Poultry Shield. You can buy a big container of the concentrated stuff and then dilute it in spray bottles, which works out cheaper. I wouldn't use normal household disinfectant as it's not animal safe.

Personally I pick up droppings every day and then only do a full cleanout with Poultry Shield once a month. I also rinse out water containers with Poultry Shield weekly (though the actual water gets changed daily).

3. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

Hi, I‘ve been buying the Virkon tablets. You dissolve 1 tablet in 500ml of water. After reading about poultry shield, I think I’m going to get that instead, as it kills Red Mites! Sounds brilliant stuff! I too, like Naiomi, poo pick each morning, and top up bedding as needed, I love Aubiose as it absorbs, then do a full clean out once a month. X

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice