Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Clay Hall Farm, Diss, Norfolk

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by littlealex, Aug 29, 2020.

1. littlealex

littlealex PetForums Newbie

Hi, does anyone have any experience of this breeder who has been going for 12 years apparently. Any concerns at all or do you recommend?

Their site is easy to find via google, not sure i can post it here!

Thanks in advance!

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Glorified puppy farm.

StormyThai, LinznMilly and Magyarmum like this.
  3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Same here!

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

5. littlealex

Well a Jackapoo appeals because I think from what I've read and that it will fit our family, two kids, 7 & 11. Is this really a puppy farm? Even with the license and the local authority stuff they have etc...?

Thanks for replying by the way!

6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

A licence simply means they breed so many litters per year, unfortunately. It doesn't mean they're ethical or even reputable breeders.

What attracts you to a jackapoo over either a Jack Russel or poodle?

Walk away. In fact, don't walk - run!

O2.0, Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  7. littlealex

They broke one of the rules I have been following for choosing a breeder I can trust. They said that I couldn't see where the dogs live and couldn't look around that area as they have had issues with burglaries in the area. I think maybe this is a reason in itself to walk...?

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

What do you like about a jackapoo. Is there a pure breed that would tick your boxes so you know what you are getting. I have seen jackapoos in all shapes and sizes and more importantly all sorts of coats from short haired to shaggy.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. littlealex

@LinznMilly

Good question: What attracts you to a jackapoo over either a Jack Russel or poodle?

I like what I read about them being good with kids, family pets, how long they live, their general temperament and how lively they are. I also on a superficial level like the size, shapes, colours etc.

Do you think I'm wrong looking at a hybrid. We have a few friends who have fantastic cockapoos for example...

10. littlealex

I live in North Herts so would love some recommendations on breeders to contact. I've tried looking at rescue dogs but seem to only find that all the dogs aren't suitable for families with kids - maybe I'm looking in the wrong place...

11. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yes.
    Look at their advertised litters, their past litters and start adding up how many bitches they have breeding how often. They have multiple litters on the ground all the time. The only way to produce that many litters is to keep the dogs in puppy farm conditions.
    They currently have five litters. You can't possibly give proper care to the dams, puppies, proper socialization to that many litters in one home.

Note all the pictures are of puppies being held, no photos of puppies playing, on the ground with littermates or dam, showing the conditions they live in.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

LittleMow and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

He is indeed a puppy farmer,there are many cross breeds including a 'Norfolk Mountain Dog .' ( think about it ! )
    I agree with @Blitz, you are much better to look at a pedigree or rescue puppy.
    Great that you picked up on the being unable to see the dogs' environment, a major red flag.

13. littlealex

@02.0 thanks for the advice. What a shame, I'm certain I'm not the first, but what the hell. If what you're saying is true (and I've no reason to doubt it) I'm appalled this can happen and that places like this can exist. Is it possible they don't realise what they are doing isn't right. Why isn't this something that the authorities or RSPCA can stop somehow? Or is it that this isnt illegal as such but is still damaging and wrong? I know I sound like a total novice on this but then I am really as I've only just started in the last few months to look. I could do with some pointers as to who to trust as this seems like a labyrinth to me just now!

14. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Good ethical breeders do tests on their breeding dogs (proper tests, not just checks to say the dog is capable of siring/carrying a litter) to breed out inheritable conditions so that's always a good place to start. Puppy farmers probably wouldn't bother, due to the cost - they are only interested in profit.

Because good breeders are more concerned with the welfare of the breed than with profit though, it more likely thety are breeding pedigree dogs rather than crosses.

It used to be believed that crossbreeds had the best of both breeds and health problems were 'bred out' but in fact you could well get a puppy who has inherited health defects from both parents, and these could cause long term pain and distress to the dog and cause the owner to incur on going expensive vet bills. Marilyn Munro allegedly once suggested to Albert Einstein that if they had babies they would be amazing with her beauty and his brains. Einstein allegedly replied how awful it would be if it were the other way round. You get the picture!

There are some responsible breeders of crossbreeds and that is a good thing. But they are very few and you may have to search extensively to find one.

Have you considered a poodle? They can be sourced with far less risk. If it is the look of the traditional poodle that puts you off, they can be left in a shaggy clip that has the look of the popular crossbreeds.

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and O2.0 like this.
  15. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Isn't this the establishment of our resident puppy farmer?

StormyThai, O2.0 and SusieRainbow like this.
  16. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

No longer resident.

17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

The poodle crosses (or any other cross) are not hybrids, that is a misnomer. They are crossbreeds or often so many breeds mixed in that they are mongrels. A hybrid is a cross between two species. A jack russel crossed with a poodle can actually look like anything between a small terrier, a larger terrier, a shaggy dog, a curly dog and can have any sort of temperament. Yes, there are some lovely ones the same as there are lots of lovely crossbreeds and mongrels with all sorts of breeds in them. Jack Russels are lovely sporty dogs that vary a great deal in size and temperament and shed like mad but if you like terriers you can probably find something that suits you. Poodles are also lovely sporty dogs who come in fairly set sizes and temperaments and coats that do not shed and make fantastic family pets. Sadly the lockdown has rocketed puppy prices up but I notice that well bred litters from health tested parents are much more reasonably priced than the carelessly bred, non health tested and often mismarked or totally wrong coloured litters.

This is one of my poodles, she is a fantastic dog, full of life and energy and loves everyone.

2019 toffee and eilidh.jpg 2015 (6).jpg 2016 (8).jpg

LinznMilly, MilleD, LittleMow and 7 others like this.
  18. Comeback.

Comeback. PetForums Newbie

Sorry that you have problems with Clay Hall, but just for your information......
    We do not take people into our puppy housing for the simple reason that we don't want any disease brought in We have had experience of this in the past, where people have been out puppy shopping, and came here after visiting somewhere else, and left behind some sort of bug. That was a sad little time, and we don't want any sort of repeat of it.
    This is limitation, of course, as you have to see the pup itself, but we do what we can.
    The new twist to this is that we did actually have police advice, following a spate of break-ins at kennels, to limit what people actuall saw when they visit. I think it is called casing the joint.
    You did see both parents, and the pup itself, and I don't think that you can say that there was anything amiss with any of them.
    You can set your own "rules", of course, but they are just that, and we have our own here.
    I guess that you won't be calling back about the pup, which is a shame, but please refrain from comments like the above. Defamation is something we take seriously.

Edited to remove identfying references.

#18 Comeback., Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2020
  19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

So how many litters do you have on the ground now?
    There was nothing defamatory in the post you quoted, and threatening members is not nice ;)

ETA: Nor is doxing, just noticed that.

Edited to remove identifying reference .

#19 O2.0, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  20. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

They're baaaaack!

Honestly no shame some people

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice