Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

claw clipping

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Sophiebee, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Sophiebee

Sophiebee PetForums VIP

Im getting the evil eye atm for subjecting loki to a claw trim. He has one whenever his claws start to feel like needles being poked in my legs (usually about every 2-3weeks.) We have done them since we first got him so hes used to it and rather good about it in that he will sit and let you do them (i usually stroke him and hold if needed and OH clips.) However the noises he makes when having them done!! The only thing i can compare it to is a person swearing quite profusely under their breath (sort of a mrrrroww rrreeeowww rrrrrrroww to anyone who speaks cat :D) Hes a vocal boy at the best of times so takes great pleasure in letting us know he is displeased with the situation, and how DARE we treat him like this...and oh are they dreamies, all is forgiven :rolleyes: :D

How do everyone elses cats react to having their claws done (either at home or groomers?)

2. Harveybash

Harveybash PetForums VIP

I haven't done the girls yet (but I need to really, as Tilly is giving me needles :laugh:)

But I used to do Harvey about once a month, and he hated every second of it! I tried so many different tips, hints, tricks ... but every time he would scream the place down .. I mean that awful yell they do when they are fighting with other cats !! :eek:
    Then he'd run outside and sulk after lol

I knew exactly what I was doing though and never hurt him .. he was just a drama queen :rolleyes:

3. Sophiebee

Sophiebee PetForums VIP

I think they make a big noise so us slaves will feel realllly sorry for them and give out extra treats! :D Double the trouble (and clipping!) for you now! Lol.

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Mine are all fine, they're very used to be handled in every which way so claws are no issue. It takes less than a minute to do all 4 paws, then it's tummy rubs and on to the next cat, they almost form a line when I'm doing it :)

5. munchkinpie

munchkinpie PetForums VIP

Mine are forever gettin theirs clipped, I've done it since I got them. I also got them used to having their moths checked and general manhandling. They don't make any noises unless moose is tiered he can be a total grump! Even then it's just maow!!

6. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Tia and Millie and Apache lie on their backs throughout, with Millie purring and making air biscuits so much that she's difficult to clip!

Gabby's a total nightmare, but didn't have the claws clipped by her breeder when she was a kitten. She'll now lie still, but swears and wriggles. Mind you, her claws are tiny and grow very close, so I suspect it's a bit uncomfy for her, even though I try my hardest to make it pleasant.

Tango? Sits on my lap and puts his paw in my hand while he carries on purring and dribbling. Never a peep out of that lad.

7. Sophiebee

Sophiebee PetForums VIP

Wow you guys have some well behaved kitties!! Loki will sit and let you do it, but its more of a 'if i really have to' type thing- hence the grumbles!! :rolleyes:

8. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I haven't done Cookie's although they never seem to get needle sharp. April however has claws like the sharpest of needles and I managed to get them done a few weeks ago, we were sat outside and I got to do them one at a time with quite a lot of dreamies :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice