Claw clipping help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by FloozieLoozie, Apr 14, 2018.

1. FloozieLoozie

FloozieLoozie PetForums Newbie

Hello, I've been researching about clipping kittens claws and how best to do it. So far were managing to hold paws but only front ones as he does not like his back pass touching at any time. I've managed to clip a couple of his front claws just taking to tips off but his back ones are just a no go at the moment.
    A video I watched has a cat getting rolled up like a sausage roll and getting paws out one at a time. Is this maybe the best way forward? I dont want to scare him completely and turn it into a traumatic experience for us both. We did try last time we popped in vets but she only managed his front ones and said she didn't want to push it too much with his back ones as he was getting angry. He's not venturing outside much at minute as he's only little and has 4 scratch posts but seems to favour my sofa!!!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@FloozieLoozie
    I tend to clip nails when my cat is dozing. I only usually do one or two at a time. I don’t want him held down and possibly come to dislike the procedure.
    Of course if your cat lets you hold him while clipping, that would be fine but my guy would not.
    I also try to handle his paws from time time when I am not clipping them to get him used to it.
    I never trimmed the back nails but so far it has not been a problem, I didn’t even think to do it.

Try different type scratch posts such as upright vs flat and different materials. Make sure they are in prime locations. For me the living room and bedroom are where I have them.
    I put toys on top which makes a game with the tall scratch post, as he likes to knock them off.

Whompingwillow and FloozieLoozie like this.
  3. lea247

lea247 PetForums Senior

I clip Arthur's when he's sleepy as well, also have a few Dreamies on standby!

Whompingwillow and FloozieLoozie like this.
  4. FloozieLoozie

I've tried when he's sleepy but it just wakes him up and he stalks off in a huff! I do try holding his paws when were just sat to get him used to it so maybe just more of that for now.
    We've managed a few on the front so will see if back ones need doing ever (fingers and toes they don't then)

5. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums Senior

I get the vets to do it - but I would like to brave doing Saffi’s myself as she likes me playing with her paws. I watched a video recently of a vet wrapping a cat up in a bag to clip it’s claws - I thought it was a crawl and a lot of effort. My vet just goes for it, and gets it over and done fast
    Well done for managing to do it a few times.

6. lea247

lea247 PetForums Senior

Play with his toes while he's sleeping, leave the clippers well away. I've noticed Arthur's back claws don't grow anywhere near as much as his front so you might be alright!

chillminx and buffie like this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Meeko is a stroppy b*gger for most things but claw clipping is easy.
    I have done it since he was a baby.
    Get your boy used to having his paws touched especially pressing the toes to expose the claw then eventually progress to clipping the tip off the claws.
    If you are worried about doing it ask a vet nurse at your practice to show you how to do it.

FloozieLoozie and chillminx like this.
  8. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Phoebe is 5.5 yo.
    I did it since she was a baby.
    She never got used to it.
    It's a fight every single time and ends with me getting scratched and bitten then shouting then crying as I feel guilty for shouting :(
    She goes to the vets once a year for a check up, her claws need doing once a month ...
    Also not possible when sleeping as she just storms off :rolleyes:
    I hope you get better results with your kitten!

#8 Joy84, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    FloozieLoozie and Whompingwillow like this.
  9. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

I clip Bronns claws.

I play with his feet almost daily, so he used to me touching them. He does sometimes protest at a claw clip, in which case I stop straight away.

Think baby steps.

FloozieLoozie likes this.
  10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Back claws shouldn’t need doing.
    I just about manage to do Wiggins by placing enough Cosma/thrive treats in front of his nose to occupy him while I sort front claws.

11. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

We do all 3 of ours every couple of weeks. We got a standard set of pet nailclippers from the vet for about £2.

I hold them still and my OH does the clipping. Usually only takes a couple of mins per cat. We had never done it before and it seemed very scary first time we tried, but it really isnt too bad.

Though to be fair I have 3 very docile Persians who will let you do pretty much anything with very little complaint

12. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Christmas presents

Is your cat going to go out?
    If he does and can climb then he probably will not need it in the future however I echo desensitisation of feet. Some cats s hate their feet especially pads being touch. Extend and retract those tiny claws withlots of fuss and head rubs. Nip only the tips as there is a vein in the claw and nerve in the quick.

Do it when relaxed and it becomes second nature. One of mine never needs a clip. The other has wicked claws which I only nip the front ones on occasion . Both go out and have tree access. Remember an outside cat needs sharp claws to jump and climb especially if needed to get away from danger.

Also have some scratching pads/ flat and poles

13. FloozieLoozie

Thanks all for the tips. I've been playing with his feet holding them and pushing his paws when were sat but he still isn't keen in the actual clipping. Will just keep on trying to get him used to having then held for now
    Interesting some of you don't need to do backs hopefully that's the case with us as don't think we ever could without ending up injured!! We have around 6 scratch posts around the house different styles etc so will just have to May be think about repositioning them to where he likes them.

bluecordelia and Joy84 like this.
  14. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I'm a wimp when it comes to clipping so tend to get the vets to do it whenever they go (I sometimes take an extra one in at the same time as another's vaccinations etc just for this). If I haven't got a vets appointment then I ask one of the nurses if they will do it. They very rarely need the back doing - just as they get a bit older and usually only about every 6 months but the front do need clipping every 2-3 months.

15. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

I have never clipped my cats claws. I've just looked and they seem fine - is this unusual?
    They have freedom to roam and only come indoors to eat during the day although they spend the evenings being played with, nursed and to sleep. I can only assume they wear their nails down naturally by scratching trees and climbing over rocks. I will ask the vet about them at our next visit but they look quite normal to me.

bluecordelia likes this.
  16. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Christmas presents

@ExD no is should be fine
    Mine both go out and only one needs a bit of a clip

17. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Not while they're young. But as they become oldies, you might have to so get into the habit of regularly checking their claws now