Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Claw Clippers?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Angela_, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good pair of claw clippers please?

Mine have had their day. We usually take Thomas to the vets every 4-5 weeks for his claws clipped, but because of his health issues he has been every week or so, and has become vicious with our vet. I don’t want him to have to be sedated just to have his claws clipped. Thank you!

Soozi likes this.
  2. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

I use these, they're really good because they have a guide on so you can't take too much off the nails.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rosewood...5mEdHPh983JmmfxT&_trksid=p2489528.m4335.l8656

You should get Thomas used to have his toes and feet played with. Start by stroking his foot while his sleepy, if he falls asleep on you then that's ideal! Then move on to his toes and pushing his claws out gently. It'll take time but it'll make cutting his claws a lot easier. Having treats around will be a good distraction for him too and help him to associate the clippers with something positive.

Angela_ likes this.
  3. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

I agree with @lea247 about taking it slowly, try to make sure you just touch Thomas' toes every now and again, then gently hold his foot and then let it go BEFORE he tries to pull it away.

Also when you do clip, just do a couple at a time rather than trying to do them all, never turn it into a struggle. Also don't try to do them after he's been playing, people think this is a good time as they may be worn out, but they are actually quite hyper and can react badly, the best time is to gently clip one or two when they are dozing.

The one's @lea247 uses look good, I use these, they are great, nice and light and nice and sharp so they definitely cut the claw rather than squashing it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nail-Clipp...d=1543072798&sr=8-3&keywords=cat+claw+clipper

Angela_ and LeArthur like this.
  4. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

I play a stupid game with Loki, I catch hold of his foot and say " toe toes" then give the foot a little shake, he then withdraws that foot and plonks another one in my hand and we do the toe toe ritual all over again. He will come and present a foot when he wants to play. It makes doing anything with his feet easy, although the vet thought I was mad when I started yelling toe toes before she clipped Loki's claws. As cats go he is a bit of a nutter which could explain this game, he also loves having his tummy and armpits rubbed!

Angela_ and LeArthur like this.
  5. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

We bought a set for £2 from the vet (im sure pets at home have them as well) just generic no brand clippers and they are fine

Angela_ likes this.
  6. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

Thank you for the great advice! These clippers are like the ones I have now, although mine are terribly worn out. I am so out of practice with clipping his claws as it always seemed easier to just let the vet do it.

I will definitely keep your advice in mind :)

LeArthur likes this.
  7. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

I looked at these ones earlier today, do you think they will work well on thick claws (Thomas is now 18 and his claws are much thicker than they used to be).

Thanks for the great advice! :)

8. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

I think they'd be fine

9. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I use the ones featured in the link above! My vet uses the same type too. I think that human clippers can shatter the claw so never used them.

Angela_ likes this.
  10. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

Thank you, yes these look the same as my vet uses too. I will be brave and give them a go!

Soozi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice