Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Clark's been to the vets

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Psygon, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Clark was sick sometime this morning, which is pretty unusual for him. And unfortunately, he threw up two parts of two different toys...

We found one-half of one of the toys he'd eaten, but couldn't find the half of the other toy.. so it was straight on the phone to the vets and then an appointment for the vet to check him out.

He seems OK, and the vet couldn't feel anything from an examination and has advised that we spend the next 48 hours carefully watching to make sure there isn't an obstruction. She did give him an injection (ranitidine) to settle any acid in his stomach (she said he has an inflamed bowel).

Worried and hoping that he'll be OK and that he's thrown up what he ate :(

Normally really careful with toys we leave lying around, but this time it seems he got to toys he really shouldn't have :(

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Oh dear, what a worry :( Gracie is awful with knitted toys and I have to keep them away from her.
    Hope Clarke is okay and there's nothing left inside xx

Psygon likes this.
  3. LJACOP

LJACOP PetForums Junior

Really hope your little one is ok
    Sending lots of good vibes
    Sounds like you caught it early which is great x

Psygon likes this.
  4. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

Poor Clark. What sort of toys had he eaten? Hope he's loads better and that all "parts" have been accounted for.

Psygon likes this.
  5. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Poor Clark I hope all toys are out and his tummy settles soon x

Psygon likes this.
  6. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

Aw :( hope he is ok

Tali ate several feathers off a toy a month or so ago,I was very worried about this but she never seemed bothered by it. Hopefully it all passed out the other end with no problems but I never saw any further sign of those feathers

Psygon and Gwen9244 like this.
  7. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Fingers crossed it comes out if it has been eaten. When LH ate the frenzy the vet gave us some colitis food to help move everything along just in case. 24 hours later and it came out!!

Psygon likes this.
  8. Franlow

Franlow Guest

All I can say is, they do - hopefully outgrow it. Lithium has has 4 ops to remove obstructions, last 2 were crocs ( shoes) & sheepskin from my uggs! I am trying to remember the last time, it was - about 7-8 years ago, she is now 10. It can be nigh on impossible to stop a cat from doing it. She did eat the furry fabric from a cat dangle toy - that was fluorescent green & went straight through - luckily, she tended to eat random stuff that you wouldn't think a cat would eat. She is still a mare for the rubbery plastic sheet packaging wrap, which I have to hide if I receive it in a parcel & use immediately to get rid, she will even climb under boxes to get that stuff & she also still has a penchant for those blue thin spongy washing up things. My Sis used to use them. I can say from experience, it is a lot cheaper to have an obstruction removed in Devon than London! She still chews cardboard, but, the wee bit she eats - if any gets digested.
    I hope Clark sees the error of his ways & will keep my fingers crossed for you. He isn't Burmese by any chance is he?

Psygon likes this.
  9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hope all is well with Clark and that any bits (if there are any inside) pass through his system without any trouble.

Psygon likes this.
  10. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Hope everything has settled or passed. Blue ate a bent cotton bud. I had no idea until it came out. They are now locked away and bins are very firmly closed x

Psygon likes this.
  11. Psygon

He's still fine, and nothing else has come out so far. One of the toys was one of those magic worm style thing. Not sure what the other is - have spent the afternoon checking all the toys to see if i can find one that has a part missing. No luck so far!

lymorelynn, moggie14 and buffie like this.
  12. Psygon

He is tonkinese - so yes, half burmese. He is pretty much a dustbin and eats anything he finds. As well as chewing fabric and fabric toys.

Vet asked me today if he was stressed, but he totally isn't - he's done this ever since we've known him (8 weeks old at the breeders house). Also i am aware this is a bit of a siamese/burmese trait so hopefully he will grow out of it. He's 21 months old now.

lymorelynn, moggie14 and Franlow like this.
  13. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Sam is now 5 and will still eat weird things given half a chance! I think it's a Tonk trait, I can't see him growing out of it now! :rolleyes:

14. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Yep, Argentium has done that a couple of times, little beggar will go down the bin for them as well! luckily, they seem to go straight through & as they use my toilet, I get to see everything :)

bluecordelia likes this.
  15. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

@Franlow Blue also loves licking cellophane so flower wrapping and shirt packets are straight out to the big bin.

16. Psygon

Ed and Darcy have never eaten amything weird/odd - i think they are more well behaved than their unruly nephew tho! :D

Gwen9244 and moggie14 like this.
  17. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

I hope he produces it for you soon, postive that he seems well in himself. I used to have a cat that would try to eat sellotape, elastic bands & photos!

moggie14 likes this.
  18. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

There is hope. Both my 'eaters' have had toys recently, including knitted ones without consuming them. However you may have quite a wait. Blah is nearly 5 and Bess is 7. Unfortunately Blah has recently eaten a chunk out of a cotton rug instead.

moggie14 likes this.
  19. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

How worrying! I hope that Clark "produces" something soon :p or that he had not actually eaten the other half!

20. Psygon

Well, 72 hours later and nothing appeared... we've been (mostly) watching him like a hawk.

I say mostly as him and Ed just caught their first ever bird. Still a bit unsure as to how they managed it, as birds don't tend to come into the cat enclosure. But I wasn't watching them so not sure what happened and how they got it.

Still, it sort of proves that Clark is feeling OK as he was able to charge up and down to catch the bird...

They seem impressed with themselves - us not so much!

Gwen9244, LJACOP and huckybuck like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice