Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

CKD - phosphorus binders and low phosphorus shop foods

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Madmog, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Madmog

Madmog PetForums Newbie

My lad has recently been diagnosed with early stage CKD. He's been on Royal Canin renal pouches from the vet for a week or so. Just done a large online order as cheaper and the little monster is sticking his nose up at it. I'm going to look into other renal food, but can anyone give me any advice about phosphorus binders which I can buy online - I read some cats don't like them? Also, are there any lower phosphorus foods I can buy from the supermarket instead, ideally wet but am willing to give him dry to tempt him?

He loves cooked chicken and milk, but I suspect they're high in phosphorus - has anyone got any comments please?

He used to weigh 6.75kg, he's now 4.25kg (and a big boned lad) so I really need to keep him eating. Initially when he lost weight we just thought it's old age and will do him good, but it's taken a while to get the result of CKD as it didn't show up on the first two blood tests we had done last year.

I know it won't be possible to answer all my questions, but any help would be appreciated.

2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

My vet says cats who have about two thirds renal diet plus one third 'ordinary' food have been shown to do better than those who eat renal food exclusively, so could you mix it with his favourite food? A friend is feeding her old cat some renal food at the moment and she has found that the RC is the most palatable. She refused to touch the one recommended on Tanya's website so that was a waste of money.

My two cats who have had CKD have never had high phosphorus levels. One did have half the dose of Ipakitine (I get it from Viovet but most online pharmacies probably have it,) as a precaution and always ate the food without noticing any difference. I have just started giving my current CKD cat a tiny amount of Ipakitine because she is having more manufactured food and I think many of those foods are higher in phosphorus particularly if they have a lot of offal. (My cats eat home cooked meat and a little fish with a vitamin and mineral supplement with hardly any shop stuff.)

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

There is much debate about the efficacy or advisibility of the renal diets and I must admit that none of my elderly cats who had mild ckd ever ate any of the prescription foods. I stuck to the theory that the quality of the protein is of key importance, limiting offal as QOTN suggests but otherwise sticking with high protein wet and raw foods. Check out zooplus or happy Kitty Company for superior quality canned foods
    I did read recently that at least some of the supposed benefit of the vet diets comes form the fact that they are fortified with B vitamin, potassium etc.
    US sites often suggest adding a proportion of cooked egg white or even full fat cottage cheese to the diet as these offer good quality, low phos protein.

4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Ipakitine seems to be quite palatable...I know there is one that they find awful. l think it was Mucogel, and one beginning with R...? I tried all the kidney pouches and he hated the lot. I used to chop up some cooked chicken, put it in a plastic bag, chuck in some Ipakitine and shake it so it was coated in the powder. I couldn't bear to see him not eating.

5. Madmog

Madmog PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your replies (so far). This is all new to me so anything I can glean is appreciated.

The vet initially told me to try and get him on renal food. If not, go down the route of a good quality cat food and give her a call. I'm half guessing, but I'd think phosphorus binders are cheaper online than the one the vet will prescribe.

QOTN - that's interesting that it maybe it doesn't all have to be a renal diet. I've just bought some Felix AGAIL senior which I appreciate aren't the best, but both cats are scoffing like there's no tomorrow. My lad (who has the problem) has been off his usual two brands, so it's good to see him eating and it would be great if he put on weight but I know this probably still contains a lot of phosphorus - I think that's why I'm half wondering about phosphorus binders, as well as him having a little chicken and less milk (he would lap up a saucerful if I let him).

Calvine, thanks for the idea re: chicken. I know he loves chicken as a treat and he could have more if we could counteract phosphorus levels.

Paddypaws, I know of Zooplus and am checking out Happy Kitty Company - this is all new to me so need to work out what's high quality and right for him.

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

7. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

My Jaffa had CKD and he would eat Ipakitine in his food without any problem. Definitely cheaper online and as it's a food supplement you don't need a prescription.

Zooplus are very good at listing nutritional composition in foods so you can see which ones are lower in phosphorous.

I feed raw (not to CKD kitties) by adding Felini complete from zooplus. The reason I mention that is because they do a renal version which is, I think, lower in phosphorous. It can be added to raw or cooked meat to make a complete food.

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Madmog: meant to add, also: my vet did say that if Gatsby refused to eat the renal diet (which he did), then to give him senior pouches with the Ipakitine (even tho' he was only six) as they were lower in phosphates. Ask your vet what he/she thinks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice