Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

CKD diet

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kforrester87, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Kforrester87

Kforrester87 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

One of my cats was diagnosed with CKD a little over a year ago. He was only 3 at the time (he’s just turned 5 now). He spent some time on a drip and with a renal only diet he improved for about 6 months but slowly went off the various varieties of food until about a month ago when his health seemed to take a nose dive and he didn’t eat much at all for a few days, lost a lot of weight quickly and generally looked like he was on his last legs.

I thought it best to just get some good in him so gave him Whiskers which he absolutely lapped up for a few days. Within a week we got him back on a renal food (Purina Pro Plan renal mousse) mixed with Feringa Lamb and Ipakitine. We add water to it and he seems to drink a lot a day out of a few glasses and fountain we leave around, I’d say at least 250ml before the moisture in his food. He seems to be doing really well, he’s put on weight, he’s more active and just a lot happier

He had some blood tests at the end of last year and they were acceptable given his condition.

I am wondering if I should take him for some blood tests now he’s taking a diet which isn’t strictly “renal”. And also, I believe the Feringa is a good option (0.15% phosphorous), especially with the ipakitine, but am I walking into trouble feeding him this? Would anyone recommend an alternative/safer “real” food that can be added to his renal to keep him interested?

2. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

Have you searched the old threads? The topic has been discussed many times with good advice. .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice