Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

CKCS help

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by NatsCharlie, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:48 PM.

1. NatsCharlie

NatsCharlie PetForums Newbie

Hi all, im new to this forum but been having health problems with my gorgeous king charles spaniel for over 12 months now. He is 7yrs 7mths. Unfortunately charlie has a heart murmer, which has been resulting in him coughing.

He is currently on vetmedin 3x a day, cardalis once a day and furosemide 2x a day. His cough had got better for a spell but it had been coming back gradually. Originally charlies murmer was grade 2/3 but the last time i took him it was graded at 5 :(

Im just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this at all as Charlie is my first dog and im not sure what to expect.

Thank you in advance :)

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I'm sorry for for you and your little dog.
    Unfortunately I'm no help as the only murmour my dogs have had were either fleeting puppy murmours or old age wear and tear

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Sadly, heart murmurs have been a real problem in Cavaliers for years.

Your dog is on a lot of medication and the fact that his condition has worsened despite that is certainly not good.

I would have a conversation with your Vet as to what the prognosis is for him, but I feel you should be guarded.

rona likes this.
  4. NatsCharlie

Thank you for your replies.

Yes i have read cavaliers are prone for heart problems :(

Its so sad as generally he is ok in himself. Hes never been a very playful, active dog but he still enjoys his walks :)

I will be seeing the vet again soon, we have only recently upped his vetmedin to see if that helps with his murmer so fingers crossed.

5. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch PetForums VIP

Hi

Couldn’t read and run. We lost our CKCS, Barney to mitral valve disease in 2015. He was on vetmedin which prolonged his life but when we lost him he was only 8. I am happy to talk about things if you want to know all the details or are wondering what to expect going forward. Hugs

B9C58659-D10B-481B-879D-4770A12C4884.jpeg

6. NatsCharlie

Oh hes gorgeous, so sorry for your loss. I would really appreicate some more advice on what to expect but only if you dont mind. Im worrying daily as i just dont know what to expect or whats going to happen :( xx

The Wild Bunch likes this.
  7. The Wild Bunch

Barney was on meds from being 18 months old. He ended up on water tablets as well as he had a lot of fluid in his gut from his heart so peed a lot! He would get tired more quickly and didn’t tolerate the heat as well as he had done. We were careful with his walks, not taking him too far and making sure he had plenty of water as he drank tons. We kept his coat short so that he didn’t get too warm and watched his diet as extra chub puts additional strain on the heart. When it was quiet, we could hear the whooshing in his chest which was his leaky valve. It had got to the stage where he was really noisy which the whooshes and we were at the vets a lot. On a Friday teatime, I got home from work and he was laid on the kitchen floor struggling to breathe. We rushed him up to the vets where they examined him. He was still eating, still wanted to go on his walks and still constantly wagged his tail, his heart just didn’t want to work. We had the option of taking him home and giving him drugs via injection four times a day or letting him go. As we both worked, there was no real way that we were going to be able to inject him four times a day and he had a look on his face of “I’ve had enough” you just know. We agonised for over an hour before we decided to let him go. Our vets were fantastic and gave us loads of time with him. When it came to him going, it was very quick. His heart stopped before they had given him a third of the dose and I cuddled him the entire time and told him how much I loved him. The breed is overrun with MVD now sadly and it is rare to find a dog that is heart clear. I think breeders are trying to use older dogs in their breeding programmes as a dog over four with a clear heart score is a good sign.
    it’s a cliché to say, but you will know when it’s time. We were told if we could get him to Christmas 2015 we would have done really well. We got him to September. Build a good relationship with your vet if you haven’t already and ask them to be honest with you. Some vets tell you what you want to hear. Mine has always worked in partnership with me and my animals and I trust him implicitly

magpi and rona like this.
  8. NatsCharlie

Ah that's so sad :( its heartbreaking isnt it. Charlie is on a water tablet called frusomide. I havent really heard Charlies heart but his heartbeat feels irregular.
    i have built quite a good relationship with my vet as we have been a lot over the last 12-24 months. i will be due to go back again soon so i will speak in depth to him again. Charlie has had a heart scan and an xray but you forget what they say at the time dont you. He does cough occasionally, mainly when resting or in a morning. did Barney cough too?

The Wild Bunch likes this.
  9. The Wild Bunch

He did cough and he used to gag and was sick. They put him on an antacid tablet to ease the sickness. They said the sickness was caused by feeling like he needed to clear his chest and not being able to :( Barney started with a murmur when he was 18 months old and then his valve failed completely when he was about 5 so the whooshing we could hear was the blood going the wrong way into the chamber of his heart. Fingers crossed your lad isn’t at that stage yet. It is an overwhelming time as it is hard to digest all the information thrown at you. I took my mum to vet appointments with me as she’s more practical whereas I just sob! She still comes to the vets with me now with my other dogs

10. magpi

magpi PetForums Member

I,ve just seen your post and wanted to say how sorry I am that your going through this. Cavaliers are the sweetest natured little dogs and it,s awful how they all seem to suffer in some degree with MVD. Among a whole host of other ailments. You need a stout heart and deep pockets to own one. Saying that we,ve been very honoured to have had our little Suzie in our lives for 11 years. We got her when she was 3 and she had a heart murmur then but didn,t start on vetmedin and furosimide until she was 12.She is on 1 vetmedin and half a furosemide daily. At her recent vet app for something unrelated the vet said her murmer was a 6. She doesn,t cough but you can feel her heart thundering away when you touch her side. We keep her comfortable and hope she makes her 15th birthday in sept.Enjoy every day you have with your little dog x

SusieRainbow and The Wild Bunch like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice