UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Citronella & Cats?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  chillminx 
#1 ·
After reading the article below I'm worried - Is citronella not nice for cats either?? I use a home made mosquito repellent of Citronella and Almond Oil as the bugs LOVE me and the DEET stuff makes me choke. I walk Mooch at 5.00 am and around 6.30- 8.00 pm and the mosquitos are out in force at that time. My flat at the moment has a permanent scent of Citronella especially my bedroom but Mooch does not avoid going in there. How would I be able to tell if it's making her upset? Could she be desensitised to it by now as I've been using it for ages.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...per-spray-collar-stop-barking-Claridge-s.html

#2 ·
You are right, cats do hate the smell of citrus. It is used in pet deterrent sprays you can buy to keep cats off the garden etc.

My OH used an insect repellent made of citronella last summer and the cats all avoided him like the plague - as did I, because the stuff smelled so nasty! He would come in from the garden and have a shower every evening to get rid of the citronella smell, because otherwise I refused to sit in the same room with him. ;)

This year for some reason we haven't had the large number of biting insects we had last year, so he hasn't been using repellent. Yesterday we both sat out in the garden until 8.30 pm, and it was very pleasant. Couldn't have done that in comfort last summer.

The worst thing for Mooch would be if you got any of the stuff on her fur, which I am sure you are very careful not to do. Other than that I imagine she is probably used to the smell of it in your flat by now, though it would be nice if there could be one room she could go to that doesn't smell of it I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.