Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Citizen Advice Bureau

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Jun 28, 2009.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I'm in major need of advice, RBS are wanting to take me to court as I never paid an overdraft off, I can pay when my student loan comes through in Sept. What can a CAB do for me? Can I reason with a bank and say I'll pay it then?

2. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I would definately write to the bank and explain but also the CAB would probably give you a template letter explaining your financial situation which you then need to send to the bank, I did that as they took more notice of a letter from them. However I would try the bank first as you intend to pay it off.

3. CharleyRogan

I'm going tomorrow. Tomorrow is my last day before they take me to court but I hadn't read any letters off them because I have been away for 3 weeks. Hopefully they will accpet I'll pay it in 8 weeks. If they take me to court will I ge a CCJ? I'm only 19 and I don't want all sorts of judgements against me because I realise now I was stupid for taking the thing out in the first place

4. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

It's only my view but I would think they would be pleased that you are offering to pay it off at all and 8 weeks is not a really long time! Especially in this day & age not many people are in the position to pay off a debt (me being one of them!) and Im not black listed etc ....

Hope it goes well for you, I dont think it would come to a CCJ though.

5. CharleyRogan

Its the whole of my student loan for these 3 months at £1500 back to them in 8 weeks, but I'm hoping they will be happy with it. I'm searching for a job now, and mollyismyworld, is writng cover letters for me, which I can't thank her enough for! I just can't wait to be back on my feet. I have been stupid by having random urges to go to Primark then come out £50 down and stupid stuff like that!

6. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Ohhh I get it now, when I was a student I was in the same situation and I told my bank the situation and they were happy to accept it once I told them I would pay off in full in a few months time.

CharleyRogan likes this.
  7. CharleyRogan

thats promising :D I am scared to open letters cos i know it will just be the bank winging at me. You have me feel much better bout the situation :D

8. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

aw I'm glad, I hope it goes OK for you today :)

9. Oblada

Oblada Guest

The CAB can help you negotiate with your creditors, by phone or letters, they can either negotiate on your behalf or give you advice and support for you to negotiate on your own, depending on the situation. You can draft with an adviser a financial statement showing what repayments you can afford.
    If you are taken to Court a CCJ (County Court Judgment) is not out of the question obviously...
    Hopefully you should be able to negotiate something with the bank so that they do not go ahead with the court procedure!
    Most creditors will only threaten court action as it is quite an expensive business and often not worth the trouble at the end of the day...
    Contact your local CAB asap and explain the situation - the last correspondence received and what exactly it states on it !

Good luck!

xx

10. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

ah splurges to primark etc! i know how this feels! hopefully they will understand and let you pay it off when your loan comes through - or possibly in instalments? I dont know? I think as soon as they have something in place to show that you are making the effort to clear it - they should be ok?! hope you get it all sorted though xx

11. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

sorry if you are still a student why are they asking you to pay your overdraft? Is it something written into your account that you are only allowed to use it for a certain amount of time or something? I am back into my 'student' overdraft right now and i haven't been a student for 5 years.

they can't take you to court already as far as i know as you haven't had the time to respond to their letters, i would go into your local branch and speak to them directly tell them you've been away for 3 weeks and have only now been able to read their letters, tell them that your loan will be in in 8 weeks and that, as they know, you don't have a large income and can't pay them before that. YOu have rights too, they can't make you pay this back to your detriment. I would look at their contract leaflet for your overdraft as i've never heard of anyone being made to pay their overdraft back while still a student, or even afterwards.. generally once your aren't a student your account is made into a normal account and your overdraft stays as it is (as agreed when you tell them you are no longer a student) and you gradually come out of the red when you have a proper job, you shouldn't be expected to be out of it immediate and forever the minute you aren't a student and certainly not while you are.

if they do this again, i'd seriously think about moving banks! is it barclays by any chance?

12. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

The best place I have found for advice on this type of th8ing is moneysavingexpert.com

They have template letters and the right things to quote in letters to banks.

Thanks to their help I have managed to get Lloyds TSB off my back concerning a loan. They got their knickers in a twist because DH was made redundant so we can only afford to pay them £10 whilst on Job Seekers until DH finds other employment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice