Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chunky Monkey

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by debbie29, Apr 15, 2011.

1. debbie29

debbie29 PetForums Junior

Hello! Me again with more questions!

At what point do kittens start bulking up into their adult bodies?!

Reg is about 8 1/2 months old and eats like a horse and was 3kg when he had his last check at the vets a couple of months ago. Previously he was quite long and lean. All of a sudden within the past week he seems to have really bulked up! He doesnt look fat as such, just chunkier. I can still feel his ribs and bones when he is laying down. He is eating a little less if anything and we play like mad things with Da Bird and laser pen so he is getting regular exercise. We only treat him occasionally when we are rewarding him for doing something good and only the Thrive dehydrated chicken or fish treats.

We havent got any scales at home that will register his weight properly so I ended up weighing myself then picking him up and weighing both of us and that came out 3.5kg difference. He does feel a lot heavier! Do vets charge you just to weigh your cat?

So after all of my rambling my basic query is, is he around the age where he is really going to start becoming more adult physically? What other changes can I expect?

In case it is helpful he was neutered at around 5 months.

Have attached a piccie of my little boy for you with his fave toy!

Thanks in advance
    x

Attached Files:

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

What a handsome chap!
    I think most vets will weigh a pet for free, normally the nurses do so no need to trouble the vet. I would say that pattern of weight gain/shape change sounds about right, he does look like he is going to be quite a big chap though! More to cuddle.:p

3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

wow he does look like he is going to be a big boy, how gorgeous is he.:)

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Oh what a gorgeous babe!!! It must be a joy cuddling into that wonderful fluffy bundle.

Boy cats, on average, finish developing / growing around 3 years old. Girlies, as a rule, at 2 years. So your chap has a bit to go yet. Both of my boys are exactly 6kg - Merson is muscle & Oscar is just fat!!! :D

5. debbie29

debbie29 PetForums Junior

He is a lovely big fluffball!! Although I'm not loving all the fur in clumps all over my carpet at the moment where he is losing his undercoat!! haha

I'm so excited to see what he develops into!! He does seem quite a big boy and he def feels it when he is standing on my chest in the night asking for a cuddle :D

It's such a shame none of my visitors ever get to see him, he is so confident with us and not skittish at all but as soon as that doorbell rings he is off up under the bed and won't come out til they go! So no-one gets to appreciate his handsome-ness unless it is in a picture! haha unsociable little devil

I'm honestly shocked that he has got another 2 years potential growth in him! And wow Moggybaby, your boys sound huuuuge!! I am hoping he will run some of his chubbyness off for muscle when we start letting him go out for some supervised garden playtime! haha. Although I don't mind if he is a chubber, no discrimination from me, as paddypaws said, more to cuddle!! :lol:

6. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Oh my gosh, really?! I thought Loki had stopped growing at 10 months, he weighs 4.7kg! But his head still seems sort of small (not abnormally so, just not chunky like a big tom!) so I don't think he'll be huge.

7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

It seems to be an issue where the actual answer is quite vague. I have a zillion cats books at home (don't we all!!) and it was from those that I gleaned this info somewhere along the line. But, having just done a Google, the answers vary from 1yr to 4yrs... :eek:

When Merson was a kitten, my friend kept saying that he would be a big cat because he had big paws! :eek:hmy:

I have tried to attach a pic of him when he was about 6 - 7 mths to let you see these 'paws' but it just won't play I'm afraid.... :(

So, if your boy has got big paws, you know what to expect.... :D :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice