Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chronic vomiting in long haired cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Casmith21, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Casmith21

Casmith21 PetForums Newbie

Looking for some advice please if that's ok.

We have an 8 year old long haired half siamese half balinese cat. About 2 years ago he was vomiting on a daily basis, with a mix of hairball and biley puke. The vet prescribed him laxopaste and after taking that for a few weeks the vomiting went right down. Kitty started to not like taking it so we reduced it over time and then stopped. We also started him on hypoallergenic biscuits and meat (he prefers biscuits but has some meat each day). After that the vomiting was pretty steady at maybe 2 to 3 times a month with some months where he didn't vomit at all.

Now for the last couple of months the vomiting has gone right up again to pretty much daily. We bought more laxopaste which does seem to have reduced it but it's still pretty frequent. There are no other symptoms that we've noticed - coat is shiny, skin ok, appetite is fine, weight much the same, poop seems normal.

The only change we can think of recently is that our one year old has probably gotten quite stressful from a feline perspective but not sure if that would be related. I'm wondering if he could have a food allergy with just vomiting as a symptom? Any other ideas for things i could try before going to the vet? (Hoping to try home management at least until after the lockdown)

2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Sorry to hear this, but my guess would be food intolerances. Or, do you brush him daily? With his winter coat moulting, keep brushing him daily, so he doesn’t get fur balls. Too many biscuits will make a cat vomit too. There are other fur ball pastes your could try, so he make like one of them.

chillminx likes this.
  3. Casmith21

Casmith21 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Since he's balinese/ Siamese his fur isn't any thicker than a short-hair cat - just longer. But we do brush him regularly to try to reduce hair balls. There only seems to be fur in his vomit about half the time - the rest of the time it's just like bile/ digested food

He might not like the paste but we're putting it on his nose to make sure he takes it until we work out if it's helping him.

TriTri likes this.
  4. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

One of my cats was treated for fur-balls for months until a different vet found it to be a thyroid problem. Your cat at 6 yrs, now 8 is probably a bit young to have a thyroid problem. My black cat Max sicked up fur when he became intolerant to chicken and also white fish. Chicken is in most cat foods, even when they say they are beef or fish etc, you need to read all the packaging, and then keep a food diary. Sometimes cats vomit first thing in the morning, if they haven’t eaten for several hours e.g over 5 hours. Just things to bare in mind. I hope you or your vet get to the bottom of it, sooner rather than later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice