Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chronic Renal Failure diets

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by missye87, Apr 11, 2011.

1. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Hi all,

Sooty was diagnosed with chronic renal insufficiency a few months ago. He has switched to the hills prescription k/d completely and loving it (funnily enough!).
    The main issue with kidney supporting diets is that they are low in protein and thus not as palatable for the kitties compared to, say, a nice juicy bit of chicken.
    He is really happy with his dry food, which I was lucky with, but he does love his wet food. Now I'm wondering if anybody has had experience of the following brand's wet food for kidney disease?

- Specific Vet kidney support
    - Hill Prescription k/d
    - Integra protect renal
    - Kattovit urinary
    - Beaphar kidney diet

In terms of dry diets, has anybody heard of;
    - Trovet feline renal
    - Happy cat kidney diet

I'm not all too familiar with the levels of protein and phosphorus they should have for a CRF diet, but I believe when I compared the two dry foods, james wellbeloved had 29% protein and the hills prescription k/d had 27%.

Any advice?

Many thanks,

Ems x

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hiya, I presume you know Tanya's CRF site and are a member of the yahoo support group? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Renal Failure If not, I strongly suggest you browse that site, sign up to that group and ask them questions about CRF there - what they don't know about kidney disease isn't worth knowing.

In terms of your dry food comparison - looking at just protein is too one-dimensional. JWB and Hills k/d dry food are vastly different.

Take protein, phosphorus and magnesium as examples. And to compare foods with other foods you need to look at the dry matter analysis - i.e. at the values once the moisture has been taken out of the equation. DMA is also an elementary thing to learn even when you don't compare foods but want to find out about the true content of say phosphorus in a food.

Hills K/D

Protein DMA: 28.5%
    Phosphorus DMA: 0.47%
    Magnesium DMA0.05%
    Sodium DMA 0.3%

JWB Turkey with white rice

Protein DMA : 33.5%
    Phosphorus DMA: 1.19%
    Magnesium DMA: 0.1%
    Sodium DMA: 0.43%

So the JWB contains more than twice as much phosphorus than the Hills K/D for example.

Just something to keep in mind. But re the wet food choice, you are more likely to find the info you are after on Tanya's site. And don't forget, you can also get phosphorus binders in case the renal wet food is a no-no. Ask your vet and Tanya's group for more info.

Hope that helps!

3. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Presume Sooty is early stage in view of his good appetite?!

Sorry not used any of the diet you mention but agree a wet one would be a better alternative though of course, a dry renal is better than a normal wet one unless you add phosphorous binders.

The protein level ( good quality of course) isn't half as important as the phosphorous levels of the food as this does accelerate the condition so it's very important to limit it and this is where renal diets come into their own!

I would certainly choose one of the wet ones-preferably grainless! Of course Sooty in the end will be the one who makes the decision!

4. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Yes Tanya's website was actually the first one I found when he was diagnosed and it has been endlessly helpful in understanding how he is feeling and what is going on with him. I haven't seen the group though, so will definitely get in contact with them!

They caught it very early, as he had suddenly started having excessive hunger and he was hurling every hour or so, for three hours. I took him to the animal hospital to make sure, and they checked him out but couldn't find anything physically wrong apart form a heart murmur. Turned out he had just eaten something that hadn't agreed with him, and they later diagnosed CRF from blood and urine tests taken at the time, and they were only ever so slightly above the normal range, and still was last week, meaning the diet and tablets are working thus far in slowing the progression. It was lucky we caught it so early!
    He has a huge appetite, which is good, even though he has suffered from some muscle wastage in his hind legs, he is still agile enough to attempt climbing a wire fence in the garden (had to take him down before he escaped!).
    Wasn't aware of phosphorus binders, he loves his Whiskas oh so meaty and would gladly eat more than a pouch a day.

Thanks for the tips :)

5. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Oh and on another note, does raw chicken etc contain phosphorus?

Ems

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

7. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Thank you so much :) there is so much info to trawl through about crf. The best bit about her website for me so far is explaining the stages and what will eventually happen, but also the symptoms and what they may mean. It helps me understand how he is feeling when he displays some symptoms. The development I've managed to "diagnose" using her website is excessive stomach acid, which the vet confirmed and helped me with. My vet has been fab through this, he has given me as much info as possible during the vet visits and explained that it is a terminal illness, but gave me neither too much hope or too little. He just explained what I should expect, and that he hopes that as we caught it so early I might get a few more years with, however there is no guarantee.
    I hate thinking of my baby in those terms but it's reality and however difficult it is my worst fear is him suffering.

8. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

How old is Sooty?

Catching CRF in the early stages coupled with additions like diet can make a great deal of difference in terms of longevity! It is a progressive disease but it it's the rate of progression that's important. So doesn't mean you won't have him for many years to come! If you've only had one blood test then and the levels are only just out of range then it's possible in some cases to have them within range the next time!

I take it both creatinine and urea were tested? I ask because someone once told me her cat was diagnosed with CRF with an elevated urea levels only. Turned out of course this was wrong and the cat had hyperthyroidism!

9. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Creatinine and urea levels were only just outside of the boundary, we have had two sets of blood tests so far, one mid-Jan and one end of March and the levels hadn't budged. Hadn't got better butno worse either! :)
    He is 15, but a sprightly chap with a huge personality and an appetite to match ;)

10. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Good! Shows you're managing it well. Must post a photo!

11. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Got some pics of him under my albums, he is a big but loveable moggy :) He is the only cat I know that lets a 1-yo pull it's ears, whiskers and tail and not even trying to escape!

12. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

He gets his tablets daily with a squirt of milk so make it a bit more enjoyable for him. That coupled with his diet is really doing the trick!

13. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

He's really lovely and looks sooo good for his age! Is he on Fortekor?

14. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Thank you! He is very proud of himself and takes very good care of himself. He gets a bit of extra grooming from time to time but most of the time this isn't necessary. He is a big bruiser, weighs in at about 4.5 kg's, it's been fluctuating due to the CRF. He used to be about 5, and wasn't overweight according to the vet. He is slightly skinnier now though :(

Yes, Fortekor is the one. He has been one them for about three months now and he is a good boy at taking them. He gets a treat straight after so that might be the main reason for that though ;)

#14 missye87, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  15. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

i had a 19 year old cat with renal failure and she wouldnt eat dry or the k/d wet, so the vet prescribed a powder which i put on her normal food, it was called ipacatine. had never heard of it before but she enjoyed it. she lived for 18 months with the renal problems.

16. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ipakitine is a phosphate binder and a good alternative when cats don't eat the special renal food. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice