Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Chronic Otitis??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Hollie Hollie, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Hollie Hollie

Hollie Hollie PetForums Newbie

Not sure if anyone's dog has suffered the above but im convinced my poor lady is and im at a wits end as what to do next. She has tried everything, injections, steroids, ear drops but a week after the meds have stopped - the infection returns. Not sure if the vet is fobbing me off or if im being impatient.
    I bought her as a rescue from RSPCA and they gave me no information about this so its being going on since about 2 months after I brought her home. She is a staffy cross - I dont think her breed is susceptable to chronic ear infections.
    I have always had her on hypoallergenic food, I dont use perfumed cleaners, she gets walked every day and she appears happy (very spoilt).
    I am in need of a long term solution if anyone knows any??
    I am happy for her to be on ear drops forever however not sure if thats good for her health?
    I have thought about a TECA but I really dont want her to lose her hearing (unless thats the only option)
    I cant stand to see her in pain and after a rough start I just want her to be happy.
    ANY advise is welcome and thank you very much for reading/replying. x

2. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Chronic ear infections are very common in Shar-Pei because of their narrow ear canals and tiny ears which are "clamped" close to their heads. Fortunately my own Pei girl although she occasionally gets ear infections from time time so far they've never been serious. I use a product called Epi-Otic made by Vibrac, which is fine for routine cleaning, but not for clearing up an infection

https://us.virbac.com/home/our-prod...-selector/epi-otic-advanced-ear-cleanser.html

A product I would use for a chronic infection and one which is recommended by many Pei owners is Zymox Otic which is made in the US and not readily available in the UK. You can however buy it through the Zymotic UK website on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/ONLINEMEGASTOREUK/

And here's a short video about all the different Zymox products and what to use them for

Another thing. You say she's fed a hypoallergenic food - does it contain grain, potatoes or a high percentage of peas which all tend to feed yeast infections which is what an ear infection normally is? The same applies to treats.

Hopes that helps.

3. Angrybird

Angrybird PetForums Newbie

Those drops in the video appear to contain hydrocortisone, and aren't approved by the VMD, likely being sold illegally.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Has she had the ears cleaned out under anesthetic? If the ears are blocked with gunk then drops etc can’t get through.

5. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Please do not post incorrect and misleading information without the proof to substantiate your claim!

To the best of my knowledge (and I stand to be corrected) the ban on hydrocortisone applies to animals being reared for human consumption, but not for domestic pets i.e dogs and cats etc. I believe it is also banned world wide under the anti doping rules in sport.

Logic tells me that if it were banned then the NHS, UK doctors and vets would not recommend creams and drops containing hydrocortisone if it was illegal. And you wouldn't be able to buy such products at outlets such as Asda, Tesco and Boots!

http://www.derbyhospitals.nhs.uk/primary/pharmacy/formulary/12-ent/121-drugs-acting-on-the-ear/

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicin...isone-hc-ear-drops-hydrocortisone-gentamicin/

https://beta.nhs.uk/medicines/hydrocortisone-skin-cream/

As for Zymox it's a well known brand manufactured in the US but not available in theUK

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zymox-ear-solution

Presumably because of the amount of shipping and customs documentation needed to get the product into the UK, the manufacturers may have decided it's just not worth the trouble. It's not unusual if that happens for an individual or a small group of people on FB to undertake to do all the paperwork and import the goods for resale on FB..

We have a similar situation in the Shar-Pei group I belong to on FB. There's a product which has been developed and is available in the US especially for Pei but is not exported to the UK. One owner has undertaken to order it from the States 3 or 4 times a year, do all the necessary paperwork and sell it to interested Pei owners. This has been happening for several years to my knowledge and there's nothing remotely illegal about it.

https://www.facebook.com/HyVitality...rs-in-canada-great-britian-r/440549919322325/

6. Hollie Hollie

Hollie Hollie PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone for your replies!

McKenzie - No she hasnt had her ears cleaned under GA, my vet has never offered this. I have an appointment tomorrow so I will be asking if this is a possibility. My dogs ears clear up with steroids however when she off them, they close straight back up again so like you said, the drops cannot get through (however I dont want her on steroids all of her life) Thank you very much for the advice.

Magyarmum - Thanks for this. She is on a completley hypoallergenic diet including treats. I have however tried mixing her food in with full fat plain yogurt as I read somewhere this type of dairy was good for their immune system? I usually bulk her food (and my other dog) with extra veggies - including peas! No more! Thanks for that as I did not know that peas could possibly be adding to her infection. The dry food she is on is a salmon and sweet potato as the vet said that sweet potatoes and other soya products will help however it aint helped so far so I have the intention of switching her to raw now.

Thanks again guys. x

7. Angrybird

I don’t mean to be rude but your knowledge seems a little limited.

The product is being advertised for the treatment of an animal disease and contains hydrocortisone, a medicine, as an active ingredient. Zymox is not approved in the UK. Hydrocortisone itself is in other products but not Zymox.

This lack of VMD approval would likely make the sale of it illegal.

VMD approval is important for a range of reasons but I would be reluctant to use an unapproved product owing to the lack of post-approval surveillance ie reporting and monitoring of adverse reactions, batch problems etc.

The VMD website has information along with a list of approved products, four contain HC, among which Zymox does NOT appear.

8. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

OK! Then perhaps you can explain to me why I can't find the following products all of which appear to be sold "illegally" by Viovet UK?

Epi-Otic ear cleaner,- manufactured by Virbac

Cystopro Bladder support supplement - manufactured by Protexin

Betadine Dry Powder Spray - manufactured by Betadine

Clorexyderm spot gel - manufactured by Vetruus

Admittedly I could have been looking under the wrong heading but having said that I looked up around 8 products in total of which I only found 4 on the alphabetical list!

Strange

9. Angrybird

The answer here is down to the active ingredient. Those products you’ve named are not considered to be veterinary medicines.

A product with HC, a glucocorticoid however, for use in animals is, and is therefore required to be VMD approved.

If you’d like to search the VMD for hydrocortisone as an ingredient I’m sure you’ll find some approved and licensed products there.

I’m glad you’ve gone to Viovet though, as far as I’m aware there are only about 40 only pharmacies legally allowed to sell veterinary medicines, of which Viovet is one.

10. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Sorry no advise, I just hope they can sort her out soon, it's such a worry when they are ill.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice