Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chronic noisy breathing with no other symptoms?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by bluallen, Dec 3, 2019.

1. bluallen

bluallen PetForums Newbie

Hi, we have a 2 year old cat (short haired and dark gray/blue, maybe Russian blue mix?) who we found as a stray at 4-6 months who has always been a noisy breather. Seems to be when she breathes in. It's a sort of just airy, rarely snorty sound that's similar to a cat snoring. Never once seen any nasal discharge or any other signs of infection. It's not constant, and seems to happen based on her position and emotional state. Sometimes she'll be sitting breathing perfectly quietly, I'll pet her, and it'll start. Sometimes she's fast asleep snoring in a snorty way pretty loudly, I'll scratch her chin or something and she'll move her head, then quiet.

We've taken her to the vet for this several times and they always say heart and lungs sound fine, breathing rate is normal. We had her sedated and given a thorough nose/throat exam at the local animal hospital and they said everything looked normal except a bit of inflammation in the back of her throat. They did a test for infection and didn't find anything, but said it could be a latent/chronic calicivirus sort of thing from when she was a kitten. Gave us antibiotics that we mostly failed at getting her to take - refused to eat her food when we mixed it in, then aspirated it when we tried squirting it in her mouth and gave us a terrible scare that we don't want to repeat.

Anyway...it seems relatively stable and unchanged over the years. Sometimes seems more noticeable, sometimes barely there. But I still worry there's something we haven't looked into. Is there anything else we can do? Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @bluallen and welcome :)

If she has never completed a full course of antibiotics it might be worth trying again.

I definitely would not squirt a liquid antibiotic in her mouth - far too much risk of her aspirating the stuff into her lungs and it causing pneumonia. Or it choking her.

One of my cats (a rescued stray) used to be frequently wheezy, gulp a lot, and have upper respiratory infections several times a year. The vet felt it may possibly due to infection with the Feline Herpesvirus as a kitten (i.e. before I got him).

The URI infections, the wheezing and the gulping ended about a year ago when the vet first prescribed liquid Doxycycline for him (instead of the usual broad spectrum antibiotic e.g. Synulox) .

Doxycycline is specifically effective at treating upper respiratory infections. It also comes as a tablet (Ronaxan), which can be crushed and added to food. But I preferred to have the drug as a veterinary liquid suspension (Doxycycline). To me the Doxycycline had no smell or taste when I tried a tiny drop, and when I added a dose to his food he chomped down his meal as usual, no problems. Being a liquid it was easy to disguise in his food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice