Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chronic diarrhoea, need help

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by gabscap, Oct 17, 2018.

1. gabscap

gabscap PetForums Newbie

Hiya,

We adopted our older cat (now 15) Lily about a year and a half ago.

Towards the end of June this year (2018) her poo became runny not just runny but liquid, no solid poo at all. We took her to the vet, she felt her stomach and said it felt soft ie no solid stools, she then ran stool samples, blood tests and scanned her stomach. Her kidney's are fine, no cancer, no leukaemia, no tumours, a couple of common dormant viruses from before we had her but not active so not the cause; the only thing she could see was some slight inflammation of her intestine but no reason for it. So she gave us steroids, prednicare 5mg tabs to giver her once a day for 10 days, she pooed a little less but no more solid, so she put her on them for another month but twice a day. We are now 2 tablets left and she is still as runny as ever, and i don't know what to do, but have really lost faith in my vet and am considering changing.

We have never changed her food since getting her. She has has a thyroid removed before we got her and the shelter said it shouldn't present as a problem again but if it does there is medication she can go on. I have raised this with my vet but she doesn't believe it is the thyroid and said it wouldn't cause such chronic diarrhoea (does anyone know if this is correct?)

I should mention that Lily is happy as ever, no sign of being unwell except the obvious. She is bright, happy to meow at us for food and spends as much time as she can sat on us or the windowsill, she does not present as a poorly cat but obviously something is wrong, and I am concerned of the impact chronic diarrhoea will have on her long term.

Really any help/ advice welcome. Thankfully we have pet insurance as this has cost £1,000 so far and getting frustrated and concerned we are no closer to resolving this. Lily is our first cat so little experience to draw on.
    Thanks in advance. Gabs

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Hi and welcome to PF
    Have you considered that her problem might be due to a food intolerance? There are several threads on the subject if you do a search.
    What is she eating at the moment? If she has dry food it could be an intolerance to wheat or grain - also present in a lot of big brand wet foods like Whiska's and Felix too

Calvine likes this.
  3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@gabscap: Agree with this (certainly it was the case with one of mine). Unfortunately, with most vets, food intolerance is the very last thing they seem to think of - with mine, it was a friend who suggested it, after several (costly) vet visits.

4. gabscap

gabscap PetForums Newbie

Thanks both for replies, she is eating felix senior wet food and purina 1 senior dry food, she is a grazer so we just leave it out for her. Put fresh wet out twice a day. The vet actually suggested intolerance but wanted to try steroids first, our main problem was that if these don't work she recommended a food way out of our price range, hills z(something) as next step. We obviously want her to be well but we are limited by affordability, we have thought about making her food ourselves but things i read said that is risky as unlikely to contain vitamins and minerals they need? Will also have a search of threads @lymorelynn, thank you. What food did you switch to @Calvine ?

lymorelynn likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @gabscap, if you want to make her own food you can buy "completer" supplements to add which will have all the vitamins and minerals your cat needs. Zooplus sells one called 'Felini Complete' (though not all cats like the taste of it in their food).

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/vitamins/155860

if it is food intolerance then it is likely to be an intolerance to one of the meat proteins or to grains. It is easy to cut out grains by removing all dry food from her diet and giving her wet food that is grain free. If it was me this is where I would start.

Grains are not a natural part of a cat's diet. In cats who have a sensitive digestion (or those who develop sensitive digestion as they get older) grains can be an irritant to the bowel, moving food through too quickly before there's time for the correct amount of moisture to be absorbed through the bowel wall.

All the Felix foods including the Senior recipes contain a high percentage of vegetable protein (e.g. soya or pea protein) which cats can't digest as they lack the necessary enzyme. This increases the bulk of 'waste' material passing through the gut and makes the bowel more active. More active can mean loose stools.

If you need to leave food out for her during the day or overnight, wet food can be left in an autofeeder, timed to open 5 hours apart. This is the autofeeder I have used for my cats for many years and it's still going strong: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Mate-C...-3&keywords=cat+mate+c20+automatic+pet+feeder

If a grain-free wet food diet doesn't resolve the diarrhoea, then you'd need to put your cat on a structured elimination diet to identify which foods she is intolerant of. Doing it on an ad hoc basis is not reliable. Stage One would be feeding her a novel protein for 8 to 10 weeks. (novel proteins are those meats she has never eaten before e.g. kangaroo, reindeer, goat, horse - wet foods are available from certain online pet stores).

Stage Two would be reintroducing the usual meat proteins one by one, at the rate of one a month, as challenges to her immune system. This method is very successful at identifying food intolerances. I'm happy to advise if you decide to go this route.

#5 chillminx, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    lymorelynn likes this.
  6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@gabscap: One of mine just suddenly got the worst diarrhoea you ever saw, totally ghastly. I had adopted him from someone who was moving and couldn't take him; when I got him he was fine and I was told which food he had which suited him (apparently) until one day the problem just started, totally out of the blue. Absolutely every type of cat food, wet, dry, you name it. Also non-cat food, boiled chicken, fish etc . . .. everything went straight thro' him. Vet had no idea what the cause was (even suggested he might be allergic to another cat in the house [no kidding!]) and it just happened that I was feeding a Ragdoll for a friend whose cat was being fed raw. She explained that the reason for the raw feeding was that she had tried everything possible and he had diarrhoea. Raw was the only thing that didn't. She gave me a pack of raw minced turkey to try and he was normal within a couple of days. The only diarrhoea he has had since starting the raw five/six years ago was when he had Metacam after dental procedure. I stick to turkey as they like it and I have one who gets spots if I feed chicken.
    So that's what we did - I thought it was worth a try and it worked for him, such a relief. It might not be for everybody and some cats don't take to raw. And some vets are quite dismissive of the idea of feeding raw (especially the ones who sell dry). But in Teddy's case, anything which had been cooked was a big no. Hope you sort this out, it's always a worry. But teddy was like your girl, seemed fit and happy and healthy, looked great, just the diarrhoea (so bad when he used the tray it sounded like a tap was turned on!!:eek:).
    Also, just to add, this just started from nowhere - I always thought allergies were something that you were more or less born with, but this just started from one day to the next; certainly when I got him there was no sign of any problem at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice