Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Christmas

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tinaK, Nov 28, 2012.

1. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

I am spending the day it's self on my own, but I'm actually OK with it :)

I spend most days of the year alone, so why should this be any different? It's society that says you shouldn't be alone at Christmas. Most people spent the day going to relatives when they would rather be at home.

My friends down South are going to do an online shop for me with some nice food in it, cos I can't afford it. So I will walk the girls in the morning, then settle down, watch TV and eat nice food and drink :D

2. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

You go girl!!!! :thumbup:

I used to love spending Christmas Day on my own. It was so chilled and relaxing - totally unlike the high pressure, argument filled atmosphere I grew up in as a kid.

Even now, the OH and I spend it just by ourselves. We could be involved in a 'big deal' if we wanted to, we just don't want to. :lol:

I hope you and your girls have a really lovely day and that you enjoy the 'peace' of it all. :)

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

But you will not be alone if you have your dogs with you, will you? You are quite right that christmas means having to see relatives we have managed to avoid all year. My brother has already invited himself and his greedy bunch. And I have to see other relatives I would rather not bother with for the sake of the kids.

You will be the lucky one, so enjoy it.

Do you not have any family at all? Tell me to mind my own business if you like, but I have often wondered.

4. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

In many ways that can be envied...:)....
    I dread Christmas... at times....very tiring ...wish it was more of religious celebration...less of feeding relatives....in cramped conditions of my tiny flat...:eek:

5. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Thanks :) I'm a little nervous how I will find it on the actual day. Last year I went to my friends down South, and the 2 before that I was ill in hospital.

6. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

I have a sister up North, but the relationship is quite strained, besides she is going on a cruise for Xmas

7. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

you can be in a crowd and lonely...

8. 5headh

5headh PetForums VIP

Sounds perfect!!

A few years ago (I was about 16?) my parents and older sister went to Spain for Christmas and left me home alone...
    I had a friend come and stay for the days in run up to Christmas, my parents went at 1am on the 22nd, I woke up at 5am (as was at work for 7) woke my friend up singing Christmas songs, opened my presents that morning with him, went into work, at which point my manager sent me home because it was my 'Christmas day'!
    And just chilled with my mate playing guitar hero all day/night.

When it came to the actual Christmas Day I didn't celebrate it at all, my friends had all gone to they're families.

Best Christmas of my life!!

No parents being stressed out, no arguing, no awkward 'family time' with family you never actually see. And no god damn turkey :prrr:

9. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Exactly - I've felt that quite often.

10. 5headh

5headh PetForums VIP

Exactly! 'family time' is just another excuse for my family to nit pick at everything and anything about me... And they try to make me 'dress up' so I dont let them down in front of the rest of the family.

11. gem88

gem88 PetForums VIP

i think christmas should be spent the way YOU want it not how people think it should be spent :)

this year its just the 7 of us, me, hubby, C, FIL and the dogs. the bunnies will have their presents in the morning, hubby, FIL and C will be booted out the house after C has opened his presents from Father Christmas, to go on a dog walk so i can peacefully get dinner ready, then we'll all meet up the pub with the mince pies I will be supplying :lol:
    rest of the day will be spent eating, drinking, presents and films :D

12. Colliebarmy

heyhey! just like me

Sister looks down on me

Brother wont give me his address

2 daughters im not good enough for/not enough money to hand out

13. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Well, out of four brothers the only one I was really close to died in 2000. The youngest only phones when he wants to book a free meal and I never hear from the other two. I have my son, who is always with me, and my eldest daughter and her grown up kids, so I do ok.

But family is not all it's cracked up to be.

I remember one year a couple of weeks before my birthday, my youngest daughter had moved back in because she had rented her house out, then her sister had a row with her boyfriend and arrived with her two kids, dog and cat. I did have room for them all but I like my peace and quiet.

When it came to my birthday, one of the girls said did I want to go out for my birthday. I said no, but it would be really great if everyone else went out!

So that's what they did and I had the evening alone with the Great Escape!

14. gem88

gem88 PetForums VIP

don't talk to me about turkeys! last year i threw hot fat on my foot as i took the turkey out the oven (plus it was only just defrosted in time coz i'd got to 10pm when i suddenly remembered i hadnt taken it from the bloody freezer)
    the year before my tray went missing so we had to improvise with taking the turkey out every half hour to drain the fat and the year before between me and SIL trying to turn it over i nearly dropped the soddin thing :lol:

this year its being picked up christmas eve, going straight in the roasting tray, in the oven in the morning and will bloody stay there till its cooked :lol:

15. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

I've got a few good friends in real life, and I've got my friends on PF, so I'm OK :) and of course I've got my beautiful girls :)

16. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

Me and hubby will spend the majority of the day alone, but will spend some time with his parents (they only live around the corner).

My sister and nephew will be with her husbands family that live away.

One of the best Christmas days we had was a long haul flight to America!! Airport was empty, and everyone was in a good mood! Also had a 32hr Christmas day as we were flying to Vegas which are 8 hours behind :p

17. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Make it a day of TOTAL self-indulgence. Do you like nice, big bubble baths? Have one but drink a glass of wine when in it.

Get the tv books and work out what you want to watch and mark it all off.

Or line up a selection of your fave movies, a selection of your fave choccies and enjoy both at the same time.

Cook your fave dinner - doesn't need to be a roast turkey. If corned beef hash is your thing then have that.

Make it a day totally for YOU and no-one else!!!

After all, how often do you get THAT opportunity eh???? :D

#17 MoggyBaby, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  18. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

i don't have a bath.. but am going to Metaldogs at some point over Xmas, so have said I'll have one there.

TV is always good at Xmas, if you like the soaps ;) I can phone some friends, and of course come on here :)

19. Colliebarmy

I can trump ya

When I was homeless with a 4 year old daughter my mum turned me away even though she had a spare double bed, for no good reason.

When I got divorced I got custody of both daughters cos ex-wifey didnt turn up at court, but she HAD booked every solicitor in town and accused me of assault and I got arrested, with no solicitor...

Ex-wifey took eldest daughter for "access" one day, she went to the council to apply for a house (unknown to me) saying daughter lived with her, then brought daughter back to me!

20. 5headh

5headh PetForums VIP

Im not a family person, but oddly I adopt other friends as family lol.

I am an 'aunty' to my friends baby, i have numerous 'adopted' mums... lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice