Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Choosing your rescue dog :)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mese, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

This is for those of you who belong to a rescue dog :)

What made you say , he/she is the one for me the first time you saw the dog ... was it the way they looked or the way they acted , maybe they gave you a 'look' that grabbed your heart ?

2. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

We went to Wood Green, saw Ty and just knew he was 'the one' we had decided on a Staff but still went with an open mind. As soon as we saw him it was love :001_wub:
    He was recovering from an op to his hip which had been broken and he was wearing a little knitted jumper to keep him warm and he looked so sorry for himself and down on his luck for being there :( I have never filled a form in so quick. As it was nearly closing time we couldnt walk him so had to go back the next morning- I was sooo worried someone else would get there first I hardly slept and got up at 5 even though they dont open til 10.30!!!!

#2 Ty-bo, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  3. rona

rona Guest

When I went to see Alfie, he was in his previous owners home, he looked sad and bored, I thought he was ill until we tried to play with him, then he came to life. I didn't want a dog I wanted a bitch but I couldn't leave him there with his dead eyes :(

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Went to the rescue and Silas was there he was only 6 months old and such a pretty dog we had no choice we were in love right away. Sophie I'd wanted a goldendoodle for a while but I didn't want to buy one and they're not in rescues very often so when she came up in the rescue and had the right temperment etc we took her.

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I took on my first two because they needed a home together and I wanted two. My third dog came from a private rescue. I didn't even see him, but took him anyway, which I am glad I did. I have lots of comments that he looks like a pit bull, so I doubt if he would have got a home.

For me, I don't care what the dog looks like, I would take on anything. I would take the ugliest, worst behaved and one that had been there the longest. Makes no odds to me x

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

View attachment Zig at waldridge Fell 509.bmp I chose mine because I had been looking for months and Ziggy was the first one I found that was the right age, size, sex and with an easy temperament for a first time dog owner. I didn't like the look of her much at first as I was ideally looking for something with a fairly thick coat, and in brown. I was worried she would be cold as she is very short coated (I was right about that). Now of course I see she is the epitomy of canine beauty. She was a virtually perfect house dog from day one, intelligent, compliant and easy to train.

7. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

My first Deerhound Herne was a badly abused pound rescue. He was old, he was sick and I had no idea how he would react to four Pugs and 6 cats at home. But we made eye contact. Some how we both knew we belonged together. I went all warm inside and he gave me a feeble tail wag. That was it. Instant bonding. Herne was one of the best dogs who has ever owned me.

8. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I found Abby on a couple of forums I am/was a member of, I wasn't really looking for a second dog but I said how lovely she looked but as she was not spayed and I had an entire boy my chances of getting her were nil. I was asked a few questions, was home checked and a few days later before I knew it we were on our way to Wales to pick her up :eek:. As soon as I saw her come out of the rescues car I fell in love with her, she is a smashing wee soul and I can't ever imagine her not being here.

Terri

9. stellasmama

stellasmama PetForums Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fell in love with Stella online. Browsed thru the photos of Petfinder.com for weeks....looked at hundreds of dogs....and as soon as I saw these photos of her I had to have her. Something about her eyes....her serious little face.

My husband thought I was nuts. She came to us from Louisiana so we basically adopted her based on a photo. That made him very nervous.

We've only had her for a month and 1/2 and she is nothing short of FABULOUS! So sweet...so smart....and so affectionate. We had to put down our beautiful black lab of 13 years back in April and it broke our hearts.

Stella seems so happy to be with us....and we're so happy to be with her. We rescued her and she rescued us right back.

We love our little rescue dog!!!!!!!!!!

10. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Isn't she gorgeous!!!! I can see why you were smitten with her!

11. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

3 of mine choose me! Cromwell was cruelty case and needed fostering while the prosocution was on going. I took him as a foster and ended up keeping him, his look was totally irrelevant it was him I fell in love with.

Tiz was a behavioural case I took on from a rescue I was working with, the plan was to try and rehabiliate her..but as Cromwell decided she was the one dog he didn't want to kill and actually quiet liked so she stayed!!

Cooper was a foster that I just couldn't let go, he was offical foster number 25 so I guess letting 24 go to new homes was pretty good going!!

Now Sidney was on Dog Pages as a puppy as the moment I saw the picture I wanted him! He was discribed as a miniture poodle x JRT. When I went to see him it was obvious he wasn't either of those things!! He's a standard poodle x bedlington we think but is the most amazingly wonderful dog I've ever met. He's my soul dog and I relish every minute with him.

And Sumo was a bit of a replacement dog!! My ancient cat died and I was distraught and missing her, I took Sumo as a foster from our rescue because he was a puppy farm ex-stud and he needed to be house trained and get used to living in a home. He arrived 2 days after Cosmic died and he became her replacement!! My other cat wouldn't allow another cat in the house but he instantly loved Sumo and behaved with him like he did with Cosmic so I decided as he was only a tiny JRT he could stay too!!

And so far that's it!! I've been looking at adopting another and have decided I'm having a scruffy lurcher next...I'm in no rush and I'm sure he'll find me when he's ready. :D

12. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

Rescued bichons and re homed all except for the 3 I have now Scooby had been hit around the face and head by a man so was terrified of men so I had to keep him until we sorted that and then we could not let him go
    Beths owner had a stroke and her husband gave up both of her dogs and even her cat as he hated animals She has ongoing health problems so we kept her too and last but not least is Lucy.
    When she came you could see her backbone and ribs she was so thin, she had a tummy bug which gave her the runs had never been brushed from the day she was born and full of knots and matts and on top of all that poor thing was in season too and just 1 year old
    So we got all that sorted and she fitted in so well we kept her too

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I didnt have a choice. I hadnt even seen Oscar when i agreed to take him.

He was going to be PTS if no home could be found. I was only supposed to have him 3 days, ive had him over 10 years now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice