Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

choosing to spay

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Justlittlejess, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Justlittlejess

Justlittlejess PetForums Newbie

so here is a bit of a long story but ill try and split it down. I acquired my staffy x from my ex boyfriend who sadly commited suicide last October.
    he was always against spaying her and eventually wanted to breed her, even against my advice.
    however now I'm her full owner I feel totally mixed about it. part of me thinks I want to protect his thoughts of this and not get her done (will not be breeding from her at all)
    but the other half of me thinks he gave up his chance to have a say in her life and just to go with what I believe in and get her spayed. Shes almost 5 now and I honestly don't think she will take well to being done as shes had so much going on in her life and shes just started to settle down into our new home with my new partner.
    totally mixed about it all, I know the health benefits and everything of getting her done but I also know there are risks with it. unsure what to do :(

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Im so sorry to hear about your ex boyfriend. If this were me I would have her spayed. Perhaps you could discuss it with your vet.

Sarah H, lullabydream, margy and 2 others like this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with the above.
    I had my rescue dog spayed at 14 yrs old, after a couple of days we were having to try and keep her quiet and resting ! Most dogs are very resilient and bounce back with no problems.
    Very sad about your late boyfriend, I'm so sorry.

4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Im sorry you have been left with this dilemma following a tragic circumstance. I think the key thing to do is to read as much as you can about pros and cons, talk to your vet and make the decision when your mind is clear. Then you can be sure it is right for both your dog and also you.

I have hummed and hawed for ages about it but have finally booked my bitch in for keyhole spaying in October this year.

Here are a couple of articles i found useful and easy to understand
    https://www.thelabradorsite.com/should-you-spay-your-dog-a-look-at-pros-and-cons/

https://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-health-pyometra-how-to-make-sure-your-dog-is-safe/

margy and Justlittlejess like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very sad to hear about your boyfriend but your dog’s health must now be the priority, so having her spayed will be best for her.

lullabydream likes this.
  6. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

I'd get her spayed - there is the option of a keyhole spay, if there is a vet nearby that are able to perform that surgery. It is more expensive but tiny incisions, quicker recovery time. Even the standard spay - most dogs recover quite quickly from it, often it's more difficult to stop them bouncing around afterwards.

Pyometra is a life threatening risk - it is more common in older females. Pyometra would typically require an emergency spay, the incision tends to be larger and the recovery more difficult - not to mention, it's much more expensive and risky.

I'm glad you won't be breeding her - as a Staffie mix owner myself, the rescues are full with unwanted Bull breeds. She would also be too old to have her first litter - there would be more risk of complications.

Torin., Sarah H, margy and 2 others like this.
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

The fear of pyo is so real with bitches that I think why spaying is essential when not breeding.

Brother in law has had two dogs develop pyo one older senior dog, one adopted young bitch. So I think it was her second or third season.

Then it's not just pyo.. Phantom pregnancies are not without complications either as my friends have found out with their new arrival. 9 month old bitch first season, developed mastitis and boy did she become poorly even with medication.

I am sure your boyfriend would want his dog to be happy healthy. Which I am sure she will be just the same dog after spaying as she was before.

Torin. and Sarah H like this.
  8. Justlittlejess

I totally agree, I would never breed her as I couldn't guarantee her pups homes for lives and wouldn't want to add to the growing demand of dogs and animals (especially staffy/bull kinds) looking for homes. I would never allow breeding her.

Torin., Sarah H and lullabydream like this.
  9. Justlittlejess

she has had fake pregnancies before, I think my head is saying spay her because I know its the right thing to do but I'm so stressed about it :(

Torin. likes this.
  10. Justlittlejess

I agree. thank you

11. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear about your Boyfriend.

I agree with the above, life will be much better for her if you have her sprayed and at her age she'll be over the operation a few days.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

I had a rescue ( private rescue, long story) develop pyo soon after I got her, and I would never ever risk going through that again, I was lucky and she survived and recovered from spaying pretty quickly, but it was all so unnecessary. She is completely your dog now, so you make all decisions on her behalf from now on, it is sad that her original owner committed suicide but to my mind that action negated all decisions he had made previously,

13. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

That is a very objective way of thinking, but i can totally relate to how OP feels. Many people do want to respect the wishes of someone they cared about that has passed on. I dont think it can be as black and white as this, even for me. And i am a very black and white thinker!

I know if i were in the same circs, the decision would need to feel right in my heart first. I wouldnt rush into it until i felt it was right, until it sat right with me. OP's feelings are, in my mind, just as important to take into consideration.

Torin. likes this.
  14. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Your late boyfriend wanted to breed from her and you’ve already taken the decision not to (against his wishes if you want to be pedantic) so there’s no reason not to have her spayed.

At 5 years old it’s no big deal, it’s a totally routine operation and she’ll be in and out of the Vets in a very short time.

She’s your dog now and you’re responsible for her welfare.

15. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

She's now past the age of safe breeding so spaying will keep her safe from accidental pregnancies that could damage her health.
    That seems justifiable to me.

lullabydream and Torin. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice