Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Choosing food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by AkiraMalamute, May 30, 2017.

1. AkiraMalamute

AkiraMalamute PetForums Junior

I have Koda on Gelert country choice and I want to move him off this food because he just keeps getting an upset tummy.
    I have just been on tails to see what personal food they could offer and this is what came up:

upload_2017-5-30_16-47-35.png

Is this any good? I have also been looking at Arden Grange large breed puppy for him. Any suggestions or does the tails food look okay?

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

What do you want from a food?

Firstly I like to be able to understand the ingredients...although I have educated myself now to read most labels.

What suits my dogs might not suit your dog. We are all different.

The best rule of thumb is a good food is what suits your budget, lifestyle and most importantly your dog.

The main cause of loose stools in dogs is overfeeding. Feeding guides on the whole are generous, however there are always exceptions that need more than recommended.

If loose stools continue in young dogs especially often it's worth having stool samples checking by vets, as sometimes there can be bacteria/ protozoa problems causing problems that can be easily treated with long courses of antibiotics or a certain protocol of a specific wormer...different protocol than normal worming.

AkiraMalamute and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. AkiraMalamute

I'm not particularly sure what I want in a food something good quality and possibly grain free.
    Money isn't a massive option though my cap is around £40 for a bag.

Country Kibble and Arden Grange are at the top of my list so far I like the look of the Country Kibble more though so I might order a small bag and test him on it.
    I have asked the vets about his loose stools and he said it didn't sound particularly bad because he eats and drinks fine and is still extremely playful but if it carries on then next time we go which is next Tuesday I shall pick have to pick up a supplement for him.

I used the allaboutdogfood instant review generator for the tails food and apparently wheat feed is not that suitable for dogs so I am going to stay away from tails.
    Maybe I am overfeeding him because the food he is on now is just puppy and not specified for large breed puppies but I might just move him onto adult food.

I might just order a few random sample bags of food and see which one he likes the best and is doing well on (and which one is best for my purse) ;)

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I feed wheat free and there are a number to choose from.

Don't swap his food around as that will likely cause tummy troubles.

If you like the look of Country Kibble, the ingredients and price suit, and you can replenish without drama maybe gradually change him onto that over a week or two and see how he goes?

Be aware of overfeeding (which can produce sloppy poos too) - use the quantities on the pack as a guide - every dog is different.

Take note of his weight/covering at the changeover for a rough idea of body condition and any changes, for an idea.

5. lullabydream

Personally I would feed puppy food as the calcium phosphorus ratio is specific for puppies, or an all lifestages food.

Overfeeding should not matter whether the food is for puppy or for large breed puppy. As the feeding guides should suit both your breed.

If you are feeding a complete food there should be no reason for feeding a supplement.

Feeding samples are usually not a good indication of whether a food suits, really a food should be trialled for about 6 weeks unless there is an immediate problem.

When did you discuss food with your vet, as your dog is still a puppy if it was early on I can see why a vet can say I wouldn't worry about food. As so much can unsettle a puppy with the upheaval of leaving their old life can cause upset of stools, and if a vet rushed in with tests etc for every puppy I could see why people could be freely call them people who just purely want to make money. If your dog is still not right though, I would first lower the amount you feed, and probably cut out all treats. They can be a major overfeeding problem. Use kibble...you really need high value treats for teenage times. See how you go, then go from there and explain to your vet. Many dogs are actually ok with 'loose poos' even with problems. That's until the problem escalates.

AkiraMalamute and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. AkiraMalamute

Okay well thank you both for the advice I still have about half a bag of the Gelert country choice puppy food so I am going to pick up some large breed puppy food from either Country Kibble or Arden Grange then gradually swap it out. I will also cut out his treats and just use his normal food for treats.
    I feed him about 325g of his puppy food because he is 8-10kg and I split that over the course of 3 meals each day. (morning, afternoon, evening)
    We took him to the vet to get his second vaccination 2 weeks after we got him so that could be the reason for the upset tummy.
    Could I possibly used plain boiled chicken as a high value treat that won't upset his stomach? (obviously in very small amounts)

7. lullabydream

Chicken may upset tums...it depends on the dog.
    At the age of your puppy there should be no reason for high value treats, you are a god like creature to them...although I know at times it feels you are not. However things like biting is just them saying I really want to play with you...using high value treats now will loose any impact when dogs hit teenage years and become more independent and all training goes out the window. Especially with an independent breed such as a malamute, there is a reason why so many end up in rescue when they reach adolescent because all your tools have been used in puppy training being one.

Cut the food down, and use part of the food for training sessions. A hungry dog is more likely to be motivated to work for you.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. AkiraMalamute

Okay thank you for your advice

9. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Just going to point out a couple of things.

First is the ingredients list. I do find it interesting that you have wheat and wheat feed as two separate items. Same goes for maize, maize gluton and maze gluton feed. Makes me wonder if wheat would be above chicken if combined. Could well not be the case but I'm cynical.

The other thing to point out is that is not simply about budgeting for a price per bag. You may find one food which is more expensive works out cheaper as you actually need to feed less. You should work out a rough price per day using the estimated daily recommended amount on the bag for comparison purposes.

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I wouldn't be feeding anything with wheat, wheat feed or maize in the first place. They are common causes of digestive issues.

Lurcherlad and AkiraMalamute like this.
  11. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole because there's too much wheat, maize and rice for my liking.

AkiraMalamute likes this.
  12. AkiraMalamute

Yes I've been looking at the dog food index on here so i'm going to reconsider the food I decide on choosing and i'm going to get a grain free food. I have also been on allaboutdogfood and looking at the food reviews etc. I've been looking up dog food and common digestive problem causing ingredients the past few days.
    I'm a little tight on money this month so that's why I mentioned my rough price limit. Which is around £40 but that's only a rough guide for myself so I can budget out for the month.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

I agree with @Goblin about budgeting. I moved my dog onto Skinner's Duck & Rice/Salmon and Rice a couple of years ago when her old food no longer suited her. I was expecting to have to pay more, but ended up paying less overall, as even though the price per kilo of the Skinner's was higher, she needed to eat less of it to stay in good condition, so I actually ended up saving money!

14. AkiraMalamute

Thanks for replying.
    The dog food index has been incredibly helpful on here with pricing per kilo. My pup isn't 25kg (yet lol) so I've been roughly estimating how much it would cost to feed his portions per day with some different dry food brands.

CuddleMonster likes this.
  15. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

Yes, I love the dog food index! When I was looking at changing her food before, I did a search on the allaboutdogfood site to narrow my choices down to about 6 and then read the index reviews of those six to make my choice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice