Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Choosing a dog or breed: "branding" & its effects, politics, etc.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by leashedForLife, Sep 6, 2013.

1. leashedForLife

We all know that there are breed-specific behaviors - herding dogs will chase, hounds will bark or bay,
    GSDs will alert us to every whisper after dark by nuisance-barking, former-fighting breeds can be dog-aggro,
    etc; we can use these to our advantage: choose a breed or type for the job we want to fill, avoid a breed or type
    that would be problematic for our situation.

But how does breed politics - including salesmanship - affect our choices?

Breed branding | The Retriever, Dog, & Wildlife Blog

#1 leashedForLife, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  2. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I really enjoyed that article thank you for posting.

I did't think branding effected me too much in the only time I actually chose a puppy of pedigree breeding, I selected for the traits I wanted in my specific dog at the time easily trained, good with other animals so low instinct to chase, good with children, needed grooming because I enjoyed it long haired because I'm allergic to some short haired dogs.

However as I list those require traits I have to ask myself how much of those traits advertised in my chosen breed were down to branding? Certainly easily trained, good with children and low chase could be just branded abilities. Although they proved to be true for my collie. I do know I got very annoyed when people suggested I had chosen him because of Lassie rather than because I did the long research into breeds that I did.

Was the dog I ended up with true to those abilities because the breed given branding long ago then bred to meet those branding criteria? Food for thought

3. leashedForLife

yes, it is.

Lassie I - the original male - was a doggone good actor, not "just a dog".
    He did spur an incredible surge of popularity for the breed, just as the many movies have damned
    specific breeds since: '101 Dalmatians', 'Beethoven' I, II, & III, 'Because of Winn-Dixie', etc.

Was the 1950s Lassie I a lucky draw, or a quintessential model of the breed - typical, but even-better than average?
    Certainly his successors were not the actor that he was, tho they were beautifully trained dogs.

4. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Thanks for the afternoon read! We've had so many people come up to us with our puppy saying how much they love huskys after seeing snow buddies / eight below or snow dogs.

While the they are beautiful dogs there is no denying it , those films show only their good sides, how well trained they can

Sooo every one rushed out and got one, and then realised they dig, they need hours of exercise, mental stimulation ,can't be trusted at home alone and take hours and hours of training to behave themselves, can tear your house to shreds after about 30 minutes alone.

That is why everyone who asks me about them after spinning me the snow buddies or eight below story I tell them how much work actually goes into owning one. Not just around the dog but the fur, oh god the fur it's everywhere! I've never gone through so many hoover bags in my life! :eek:

5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Fortunately most of todays children have never heard of Lassie as other dog stereotypes have taken over. I chose the breed because it met my desired trait requirements. Once you have owned a Rough your realise the breed traits have just been cleverly trained and enhanced to look good on TV, I would say the original dog Pal was exceptional but many of the behaviours are representative of the breed. If you weren't actually wanting A DOG rather than a mythical invention you would soon find those behaviours very annoying.

The Timmy down the well bark isn't as appealing to many people when its a bark to tell you that my dinner bowl is empty, its walk time and numerous other times. The whine to communicate is frequent and conversational if you were thinking the dog kept it for important moments you would be disappointed. The pretty coat means lots of hair and grooming but also you needing to take care in warm weathers. The brains the breed is famed for can happily be used against you. My favourite was when my boy wanted attention and I was ignoring him he then went up to the TV unit and started pulling out cables, I can imagine those who chose a TV star rather than a dog would be very annoyed.

I too am saddened by the increase in huskies and Malamutes in rescue due to their new TV and film desirability. Wouldn't it be wonderful if these films that focus on a dog breed added a small 5 minute feature on the reality of such a breed rather than the myth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice