Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cholangitis - liver issues

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by luckyme, Nov 14, 2020.

1. luckyme

luckyme PetForums Junior

So I posted a few days ago my NFC boy is currently in the vets undergoing tests as he’s had severe diaoreah and lost weight.

most of the results are now back and they have found that he is anaemia & low red blood cell count together with inflamed liver.
    Vet now suspects Cholangitis but needs to do imaging to actually ‘diagnose’ it.

Does anyone have any experience of a cat with this condition and if so can you advise on the best type of diet?

Am also wondering if it could simply be IBD...?!

2. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

3. luckyme

luckyme PetForums Junior

Thank you for the info :)

4. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Hi @luckyme our boy was diagnosed just over a year ago with Lymphocytic Cholangitis - is it this that your Vet is thinking? It was diagnosed after a scan and some biopsies of his liver and spleen. If it is this, I am more than happy to share our experience. Hope that you can get to the bottom of what is going on.

TriTri likes this.
  5. luckyme

luckyme PetForums Junior

Hi @Mrs Funkin thank you so much for the reply!

So the vet has run various tests, blood samples, poo samples etc and the bloods revealed an issue with the liver along with low RBC count and anemia - my cat was also a little yellow and so whilst they’ve not ‘officially’ diagnosed they suspect based on tests and observations that it is Cholangitis.

we have our boy home after 3 days at the vets on fluids and he’s now on antibiotics and steroids, the vets have suggested re-testing blood in a month to check the liver enzymes to see how he has responded to treatment.

they did not recommend a biopsy of the liver abs said that as he is responding well to treatment there was no need (unless I specifically wanted to have a firm diagnosis) to do a biopsy, unless of course things change and he stops responding to treatment. Although they are pretty side given the signs that it is what they suspect.

I did ask them if I should be feeding a specific diet but the vet said no need.

I would really love to hear about your experience and if you are feeding you boy a specific diet? Has it affected his quality of life at all? The vet said that our boy may be fine for a long time but could relapse.

woukd be great to hear from you as struggling to get much out of the vet to be honest!

6. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Hi there, sorry for the delay, not had chance to sit and properly think about a response until now.

There are AFAIK different kinds of cholangitis, acute and chronic. I suspect from what you've written that your boy has acute cholangitis, which is different than the kind Oscar has (which is chronic). Oscar had a long journey to diagnosis, starting with them thinking it was his teeth, becoming anorexic, losing 680g of weight in 16 days, then them suspecting CKD, eventual diagnosis of LC after scan and biopsies. A few weeks later he was additionally diagnosed with focal HCM (heart condition) but that's another story. Luckily our brilliant vet worked with us and didn't mind when I kept pushing and pushing when I was convinced there was something still that we had missed. He was additionally diagnosed with raised BP too.

As for the LC, well, there's not much that can be done besides keeping him as well as he can be. There's a medication called ursodial which he started on which generally would be given for 2-3 months, alongside Prednisolone (steroid) both of which are thought to reduce the liver inflammation. He had it for five months, then stopped for a couple, but we re-started it again as he was becoming anorexic again. We also wanted to reduce his steroids to once a day but despite a couple of attempts we just can't. It's thought that the feel sick with the inflammation of the liver, he does show that sometimes. We've had a couple of bouts of gastritis too, which isn't much fun to deal with.

Each morning we give Oscar five tablets (steroid, Urso for his liver, heart medication, anti-clotting medication and anti-hypertensive), we have to pill him as he won't eat anything with anything in it, so we can't ever put medications in his food. He also has a s second steroid later in the day. He doesn't have special food, no. He has whatever he will eat - which currently is the cheapest Felix. That will change soon enough, though. He won't eat good quality food (I must have tried him on over 30 kinds since we adopted him) and half the time he won't even eat the junk food, which is why now I just am happy he eats - the only dry he has are his anti-hairball treats, which he loves. He occasionally has a cat stick and he has three freeze dried treats in bed each night.

I know that at some point he will probably succumb to either his heart or his liver issue. In the meantime, he lives the best life we can give him (expect having to have his medication!). As for affecting his quality of life, well, he's definitely slower but 1) he's heading towards 14 now and 2) it's not just the liver diagnosis we are dealing with - but honestly I think he's happy. He goes outside in the garden, he goes anywhere he wants to, does whatever he wants (except go out at night). He did have a terrible reaction to a flea spot on treatment a few weeks ago, so I now have the added complication of trying to figure out what to give him instead of that. The drug interactions worry me.

So we just toddle along. I think he won't be able to come off the liver medication - and to be honest, what's another tablet when he already would he having four anyway?

I hope your boy is doing well and the treatment is working for him.

#6 Mrs Funkin, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  7. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

@Mrs Funkin i wouldn’t worry about finding a flea remedy for him. I haven’t treated our garden cats except Skye due to her allergy to ticks and we haven’t had fleas. The babies who are now 18 months haven’t ever been treated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice