Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Chocolate.....

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by vanessaw200, Aug 30, 2013.


  1. vanessaw200

    vanessaw200 PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2013
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    So whilst we were out the dog managed to eat 3-4 twixs

    I know chocolate is poisonous to dogs, so I should I just wait it out ?, as twixs are mainly biscuits.

    He is happily bouncing around

    Thanks
     
  2. ellenlouisepascoe

    ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2013
    Messages:
    5,860
    Likes Received:
    7,028
    Is that 3-4 twix sticks or 3-4 twix bars all together?
    How long ago did the dog eat it ? And how big is the dog? Weight etc
     
  3. lostbear

    lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Messages:
    13,406
    Likes Received:
    5,104
    The odds are he'll be fine - I know of dogs that live on choclate biscuits, and my own stole a HUGE box of Thorntons at Christmas and scoffed the lot with no ill effects except squirty bottoms!

    While I wouldn't advise regular chocolating of dogs, unless yours is unfortunate enough to have a particular sensitivity, a one off twix overload shouldn't be a problem. I believe dark chocolate is worse for them than milk chocolate anyway, which doesn't actually contain much real 'chocolate' stuff. (It's still fattening and bad for their teeth though, so don't take this as a green light to feed him on Cadbury's)
     
  4. vanessaw200

    vanessaw200 PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2013
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    He's had 3-4 twix packs (so 6-8 bars in total) about 2 hours ago, he's about 13kg

    He got into a cupboard, I'm not sharing my chocolate with the dog lol We had a pack of them as my daughter likes them

    Thanks
     
  5. ellenlouisepascoe

    ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2013
    Messages:
    5,860
    Likes Received:
    7,028
    That is quite a lot of Twix lol! I would just keep an eye out for any strange behaviour, make sure there is plenty of water down :)

    He's probably going to have a bad backside but if you notice anything worrying take him to the vet :) But you're right twix's are mostly biscuit.

    To be on the safe side I would get a biscuit "tin" that has a tight seal to stop him getting into there in future x
     
  6. Fleur

    Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2008
    Messages:
    33,779
    Likes Received:
    12,451
    As Twix is mostly biscuit and caramel I would keep a close eye on him and expect an uoset tummy.
    If he starts to be sick, drinking lots or any other behaviours out of the norm go to the vets.

    Zipper and Missy have both eaten chocolate with no ill effects - Lilly however was very sick and had to spend 24 hours in the Vets on a drip.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice