Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chocolate Lab shades (for Dodigna, and anyone else interested)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sleeping_Lion, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

After I'd posted the pics of the girls with Sasha, I just thought it would be interesting to show the different colours of my two girls, apols for those who have seen these before, I have posted them previously to show the different shades. Tau is a very pale choc, I am going to (I think) dna colour test her, which I am sure will show she is a dilute, so a genetically paler chocolate. She may also carry yellow, but that wouldn't contribute to her being paler, she could be a very dark chocolate and carry yellow.

Tau at a few days old....
    [​IMG]

A few showing the differences between Indie, who is medium to dark choc, and Tau
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tau at her darkest....
    [​IMG]

.... and palest.
    [​IMG]

I have had her next to a dark fox red Labrador when she was very sun bleached last year, although a different tone, she was definitely paler.

2. pika

pika PetForums VIP

Aw they are adorable! Tau's colour is amazing, I don't think I've ever seen a chocolate lab that shade before!:thumbup:

3. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I think it's fascinating how the colours can vary, i've met a real rich dark that looked almost black unless you got up close and noticed the fur was actually a very dark brown but then i've met yellow labs so pale they are white. I have to say i have not noticed shading in the black coats? maybe 'cause I don't see many black labs it's mostly chocolates here. Either way both your girls are very stunning :thumbup:

4. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

Thank you! She is beautiful! Milkychoc!
    Her face is adorable, different from all the choccy labs I have seen around here (who are all fairly stocky show types and more like Indie) and her eyes are very similarly cut to my dog who is apparently supposed to be crossed with a black lab; in the picture with what might have once been a football in her mouth she is Ray from the neck up sporting bigger ears!
    Would you say she is lighter built then Indie or is is it less skin, she is really unique!

I didn't know the coat bleached in the sun, is it for all chocs or all dogs? :confused: I am really learning loads today!!!!! Sorry about the zillion questions I find her really fascinating :001_wub: :eek:

5. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

what gorgeous labs you have

6. Tollisty

Tollisty PetForums VIP

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Thanks for the lovely comments. Tau and Indie are half sisters, out of the same dam, although Indie is slightly larger and bigger boned, Tau is more muscular overall, so there isn't that much weight difference, if any, between them.

Tau's eye colour is better than her big sis's, although because Indie is darker, her eye colour will look paler against the closest brown comparison of her coat, and of course the opposite is true of Tau. But Labs should have a good hazel or brown eye, rather than orange or much paler eyes, I've seen some that look as though they have pale green eyes, very odd!

Both have got show bred sires, they are kept nice and lean for their frame, which is a personal preference.

I believe bleaching is genetic, so where as one dog might bleach, another won't, and because Tau is already pale, when she bleaches she does go extremely pale.

With black Labs you can get different colour undercoats, I can't remember all the genetic reasons why, but that's the reason behind the myth when you hear people say that they can tell by looking whether a black Lab carries chocolate, because their undercoat has a red tint to it, and when they moult, it can look odd with bits of reddish brown undercoat coming through.

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Another couple of photos I've dug out of Tau, that illustrate just how pale she can get, a couple with Indie next to her for comparison.......

[​IMG]

She looks like a yellow Lab next to her big sis here......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here, she could be described as *silver*, which is how some of those who breed silver Labradors mislead, they are basically a pale chocolate in some, but not all, instances.....
    [​IMG]

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I LOVE that pic of the GR's!

I'm not 100% certain she is dilute, but would like to test to find out, she can look silver in some lights, as in one of the extra photos I just posted. I suppose I won't know until I test really.

Her nickname is the ginger piglet btw, because not only is she a funny pale colour, but she grunts when she gets excited :D

10. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

i know ive told you before but your labs are gorgeous :)

11. comfortcreature

comfortcreature PetForums VIP

If you get the DNA testing done, please post the results.

Curious. Have you seen geneticist Sheila Schmutz's page that goes into the possible different 'b' type alleles and the different shades of chocolate that can be produced? It is here, and it lists proposed recessive b's', b'd' and b'c' alleles in the Labrador that can cause different shading.

http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/dogbrown.html

She might be interested in your girls, as they are littermates and you have a great photographic record of them as they have grown.

CC

12. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I love Tau's coat,in some pics it looks almost velvety,it look s very unusual. But absolutely gorgeous!

13. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look later as I'm popping in and out from the garden, enjoying the sunshine with a bottle of beer and a good book, and doing a bit of gardening inbetween.

They're half sisters, rather than litter siblings, although I do know Tau's full sister, who is a mid chocolate carries yellow, as she threw a couple of yellow pups in her last litter.

Do you know Sheila at all? If you do, I'd be more than happy for you to point her my way, if you think she'd be interested in the chocolate numpty girls, and yes, I do have lots of photos of the pair of them for comparison. Or if you think she'd be interested in me just emailing her out of the blue to add information about them to her records I'm more than happy to do that.

14. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Indie's actually got the longer, thicker, more *luxurious* coat, Tau's is short and dense, a bit like her ;) (only kidding, lol).

15. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

You have stunningly beautiful dogs:)

16. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Lol,yeah iv a choc like that!! But iv not seen coats like that,do you think it their breeding? or may even just be the camera! Indies face is so like my Ailsa!

17. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Definitely in the breeding I think! Indie's got a lot of boothgates at the back of her sire's breeding, and she looks very much like her sire.

Tau's got a lot of rocheby and oakhouse in her sire's breeding, and when you look at other similarly bred Labs, you can see similarities in appearance.

18. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Of course,boothgates do have coats like that! i was trying to think of a name id seen before!
    Oakhouse and Rocheby have some super dogs too.

Anyways,fab dogs :)

19. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

They are amazing i have to say ive seen many, many labs all the different colours but ive never seen labs as stunning as you have. Bet they turn a few heads.

20. comfortcreature

comfortcreature PetForums VIP

I only know Sheila Schmutz through a few email exchanges re: recessive black in spaniels. She is very open to information re color genetics in canines. From that page I cannot tell if they have the alleles actually identified . . . . it looks like they don't yet, just a proposed idea of what they are from following pedigrees and breedings probably.

I believe she'd welcome an email with the open offering of DNA for the point in time in which someone decides to identify these alleles.

CC

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice