UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a bit of a silly question :eek:

Are those dog choc drops ok for dogs? I realise they're not very healthy but am wondering about the chocolate side of things. I bought some to mix Kenzie's recall treats up a bit but now I'm worried :eek:

·
Registered
14,799 Posts
Tbh I don't know if they're safe or not. But I won't give them to Jet,coz I have chocolate in the house and won't let him have any (obviously, and it's where he can't get at it) coz how would he know the differance if he did find some when we were out.His leave it command is fairly good, but I wouldn't like to take the risk of him downing a mars bar or something.

That probably sounds a bit silly, but I'd rather not chance it. Just coz pet shops sell them doesn't mean they're safe. I got a cooked bone from a pet shop!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tbh I don't know if they're safe or not. But I won't give them to Jet,coz I have chocolate in the house and won't let him have any (obviously, and it's where he can't get at it) coz how would he know the differance if he did find some when we were out.His leave it command is fairly good, but I wouldn't like to take the risk of him downing a mars bar or something.

That probably sounds a bit silly, but I'd rather not chance it. Just coz pet shops sell them doesn't mean they're safe. I got a cooked bone from a pet shop!
I never have chocolate in the house long enough for Kenzie to get hold of it :eek: But if she did, it wouldn't matter to her whether she thought it was her own treats or not, she'd eat it anyway. But I agree that just because pet shops sell it doesn't mean it's safe! Hence my post :)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I honestly don't know what's in them but a friend of mine used them to train a very small, white, fluffy dog until she discovered that they vanished from the jar at an astonishing rate....... No, not the dog, her stepson! Apparently the look on his face when he was told he'd been eating dog chocolates was priceless!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly don't know what's in them but a friend of mine used them to train a very small, white, fluffy dog until she discovered that they vanished from the jar at an astonishing rate....... No, not the dog, her stepson! Apparently the look on his face when he was told he'd been eating dog chocolates was priceless!
The box says "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. If accidentally swallowed no harm will result". I 'accidentally swallowed' one :D

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
My cousin and I used to eat dog chocolates when we were younger as they were the only ones we could reach :lol:

I would have thought they would be fine as they probably use a chocolate substitute and not real chocolate and therefore has no Theobromide in. Most 'chocolate' biscuits you can buy actually have a 'chocolate flavour' coating and not real chocolate at all! So check the ingredients or description and that might give you more information.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it lists Cocoa powder in the ingredients which is what made me wonder.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Well it lists Cocoa powder in the ingredients which is what made me wonder.
:yikes: Then I probably wouldn't give them to her, the ones at [email protected] contain 'Oils and fats, milk & milk derivatives, cereals, various sugars, vitamins, minerals, derivatives of vegetable origin. Contains EC permitted additives. Nutritional Additives; Vitamin A: 50,000IU/kg, Vitamin D3: 2,000IU/kg, Vitamin E: 175mg/kg.'

So although they are unhealthy there is no mention of cocoa or chocolate (or even Carob which I thought they used for the chocolate flavouring!). Although looking at that list 'derivatives of a vegetable origin' could be either cocoa or carob but it doesn't say so how could you be sure? :incazzato:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:yikes: Then I probably wouldn't give them to her, the ones at [email protected] contain 'Oils and fats, milk & milk derivatives, cereals, various sugars, vitamins, minerals, derivatives of vegetable origin. Contains EC permitted additives. Nutritional Additives; Vitamin A: 50,000IU/kg, Vitamin D3: 2,000IU/kg, Vitamin E: 175mg/kg.'

So although they are unhealthy there is no mention of cocoa or chocolate (or even Carob which I thought they used for the chocolate flavouring!). Although looking at that list 'derivatives of a vegetable origin' could be either cocoa or carob but it doesn't say so how could you be sure? :incazzato:
Hmmm. I'm thinking it's probably best if I don't give them to her. I only gave her one before thinking better of it.

Maybe my Secret Santa wants an almost-full box of choc drops :lol::lol::lol: (Kidding of course!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have to admit I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole :yikes:

How about ham? Or cocktail sausage? Liver cake? or even a squdge of pate?
Yeah there's definitely other things I could give her. I just wasn't thinking and the choc drops looked like an easy treat idea at the time!

·
Registered
64 Posts
My old Rottie (no longer with us) sadly, hated them, she would sniff them and turn away. But when I was a kid, we had a dog who loved them, but we used to give 1 to the dog and then 1 each for me & my brothers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.