Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chirping!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by sami87, Apr 17, 2011.

1. sami87

sami87 PetForums Member

My kitten is a real chatterbox. I've gotten used to it now, it did worry me at the beginning - thinking she was upset or hurting or something!

It's a really inane, pointless question but what or earth is chirping about?!

She does it all the time! I go to give her a stroke, chirp. She jumps up or down from something, chirp. I talk to her, chirpchirpchirp. I sneeze, chirp. She's wandering around the flat, meowchirpmeowmeowchirp (I think she's singing... hehe) When she's chasing a ball it's constant, and turns into a hilarious loud meow-chirp.

You get the idea! She's only silent when she's asleep or doing something naughty.

Is it just me that has such a talkative cat?! Translations? I really don't know what it's meant to mean!

:eek:

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Are you feeding her as much as she wants? If not it's best to :) That might be one reason why she's chattering a lot, but she could well be a talkative cat anyway :D

I love it when my girls talk to me :D

3. sami87

sami87 PetForums Member

I give her kitten milk in the morning, she has Orijen biscuits all day, a tin of P@H food at 6pm, then she gets her biscuit back when I go to bed at around midnight. By this point all the tinned food has been eaten, generally.

I was wondering if she's lonely.... I'm here 24/7 pretty much but maybe she'd like a friend of her own species? Hmm.

I do love our little conversations though ;)

4. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

i think shes just a talkative cat :D very cute

5. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

You give her kitten milk every day? It's only meant to be an occasional treat ;)

She would definately benifit from a friend ;) as would you of course :D

6. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Mine do something similar.. They run off and start warbling/chirping to themselves, so much so I've started to call it their turkey noise. I find they normally do it when they don't know where the other cat is, to either call the other one or get our attention, so that we'll make a noise to let them know where we are.

With mine it's most definitely different to the miaow's I get when they're hungry :p

Cute little noise though, always puts a smile on my face!

7. daniellecool2003

daniellecool2003 PetForums Junior

lol I have a little girl who chirps. But here is a funny note. She makes a really odd chirp which if you didnt know better sounds like a bark. My little girl loves bones too so me and my OH has a joke in the house and say she thinks she is a dog.

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Merson squeaks & half-miaows when he is playing with his toys. He also does this when he is lying out in the garden, enjoying the sunshine. I get chirup-purrs when he is chilling on the bed and I lie down & snuggle up next to him or if I lie down on the grass beside him. I'm sure the neighbours think I am completely off me rocker!! :D

Oscar 'shouts' at me at 9pm to tell me it's time to start 'cooking' his dinner, then shouts at me constantly from 9.30pm to tell me is ready to eat it!!! :eek: Even thought he KNOWS that dinner-time is 10.15pm!! :mad:

Other than that, my lads are quite quiet. My sisters cat, however, is a right wee chatterbox and 'talks' to her & the OH ALL the time. They love it!! :001_smile:

It sounds to me like you have got a very happy cat. You are obviously doing something right. :D

9. debbie29

debbie29 PetForums Junior

Aw bless these noisy kitties!

Reg is sooo noisy! He chirps to say hello and if he plays and especially when he jumps up on the bed to say hello! I love it. Although he does do a weird gargling sheeplike noise which I am not so keen on!! :D

10. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

You just seem to have a talkative kitty!

All cats have different personalities just like humans, some are more quiet and some more chatty. Sooty talks for king and country, especially if you are holding a pouch of food in your hand :D

Otherwise he calls for us until we respond, he talks to you if you talk baby language to him, he chirps while standing by the back door, he is just a happy mog.

Debbie's Reg does the same noise Soots does, it's more of a sheeplike bah mixed with a meow. Very strange indeed! :D

11. sami87

sami87 PetForums Member

:D :D :D

I've loved reading all these posts! Kinda glad I'm not alone with my chatterbox ;)

12. Kat74Em

Kat74Em PetForums Member

Our Harry is a right chirper too :D

He does it when he jumps onto or off anything, when he plays fetch and if you stroke him as he walks past you.

He also has a funny little meow that goes 'wa-ha-ha' which seems to be purely conversational. If we do it back to him, the conversation can go on for quite a while, lol.

13. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Yup Kiera does that too. It's very sweet :) I also have the strangest conversations with both of them if I lean iut of the upstairs window and call them in the garden. They miaow and miaow at me and try to reach me. Luckily the closest they can get is on top of the car! It strange though because the doors always open when they're out and they could easily just come through the door and up the stairs if they wanted to get to me. Strange little critters :)

14. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Is it like a sheep sound mixed wit the meow? :D

15. Kat74Em

Kat74Em PetForums Member

It's more like a chimpanzee sound actually, lol. We do call him monkey sometimes so maybe he's taken it to heart ;)

16. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

My kitten makes sort of chattering noises when she's stalking a fly or sees a bird outside. Dunno if cats try to mimic bird noises to attract them closer, but its really weird!

17. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

My cat chirps when he sees birds outside... and also when he's about to do something naughty (like stripping our wallpaper or attacking our feet). We call it his battle cry. :laugh:

18. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Won't strike fear into many people with that noise lol

19. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

Perhaps his true strategy is to lull people into a false sense of security... and then sneak attack! My toes certainly tell the tale!

20. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Haha, I'm smart and wear slippers. Not only cos I have a rampant kitten but I always stubb my little toe into conveniently placed furniture :rolleyes::lol:

My fingers bear the brunt. Scratches everywhere

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice