Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chinese crested cross chihuahua

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vizzy24, Jul 10, 2009.

1. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Hi I know there are some Chinese crested lover out there so just after some advice for a friend. She is looking at a Chinese crested cross chihuahua (sorry if that is wrong) pup tomorrow and I wondered if there is anything apart from the usual that she should be checking out. It has very little hair, and is very small. That is all I know at this point. I will probably go with her so any info will be gratefully received

2. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

sorry no advice. except to say what an odd cross??? how much r the pups if u don't miind me asking.

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Do you know if the parent(The chinese crested one) Was hairless or puff, if very little hair im guessing Hairless!!

Just look out for the same as any other pup i guess..
    You may want to look at coat types as if the crested parent was hairless then you are going to get a wide range of different coat types i expect.I cant really say what this litter is going to be like as i have never seen a chinese crested crossed litter

Im gutted to hear of another litter of chinese crested crosses litter, Ruining such a beautiful breed!!
    Good luck with it and i hope your friend finds in the litter what she wants!!

4. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Hi thanks for your replys. My friends is only looking for a pet for her family. She already has a min poodle and she really likes chinese crested's and saw this advertised. The coat from the pic is quite short, well what hair she has got. The mum was a hairless and the dad a short coated chi. I totally understand your thoughts dd, like I said though my friend is only looking for a small pet dog and hasd no intention of breeding or carry the cross breeding on. I think the price is about £350 ish

5. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

WOW £350 she could get a powderpuff for that!! :(

Glad to here she isnt going to be breeding from it :) Hope all goes well and that this pup is what she wants!!

6. charlie9009

charlie9009 PetForums Senior

I would just like to say that I got my hairless chinese crested for £400. She is pedigree, although not KC reg, so if this pup isn't what she wants then tell her to keep an eye out, you can get cheaper one's sometimes.

How old is the pup? I would say just ask the usual questions and see how the pup is. I've seen a chinese crested x chi before and they look alot like full chinese cresteds. Also I would take a very close look at the pups skin, as I do believe some CC's can have quite bad skin and if it was poorley bred it may also (although I'm sure DD will have more advice about that than what I do, I only know what I've read on the internet)

Good luck with the viewing, and let us know how it goes! :)

7. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

i wish you friend best of luck for tomorrow hope the puppy is the one for her familey. All that matters is the puppies get a good home, maybe try and knock the price down and see if they will accept that as the home should be more important then the £ to the breeder because £350 seems alittle high for such an unusual cross.

8. clueless

clueless Banned

It seems their is a lot of Numpties out there using this cross. Do not ask me why!!!!Epupz had a few advertised recently. Going by the pics on them ads I do not understand why as just looked like poor quality Cresteds no Chi looks in them.
    Bad skin in Cresteds occurs quite often depending on what lines you use. Also poorly bred Chi's can have a condition where their skuls do not close over completely.
    I do not think the crosses I have seen advertised are from well bred Parents In fact I know they are not
    I would warn your friend about PRA as this blinding disease is found in both Breeds and Chi's can have Mitral Heart Disease and Haemophilia I believe
    ps If you wish to PM me I will see if I know the Crested Breeding for you

#8 clueless, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  9. clueless

clueless Banned

Sorry DK I meant to quote the OP Post Think I need ma bed

10. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Hi Clueless

I agree with what you say but any dogs can have those problems really i dont feel it has to do with it being a cross breed as some can be healthy just like some unhealthy but the same can be said for purebred dogs. I would advise your friend to look at both parents really well before deciding weather or not to take a pup. Atleast they dont have a silly name thats a good thing or do they?

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

£350 for a mongrel, it's amazing what people get away with :(

12. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

I have seen quite a few of this cross breed around and the average price seems to be around the 350/450 mark as said before most of them look nothing like chihuahuas.
    Its not just poorly bred chihuahuas who have moleras, most moleras close when the pup is a few months old, some chihuahuas have permanent moleras which persist into adulthood.
    Heart dieses is more offen found in older chihuahuas so it is something to watch as they get older.
    Like said before Haemophilia, a blood clotting disorder carried by the females and manifesting in the males, also occurs, also things that when looking at the pups parents is Weak knee or patellar luxation (dislocation of the knee cap). :)

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think this has been done to death. I would have thought that was about half the price for a pedigree registered pup of either breed which is a huge improvement on the crosses of cheaper breeds that are then double what the pure parents would have been!
    A breeder I spoke to that breeds pure (labs and cockers) and crossbreed (cockerpoos) says she charges the same for all pups. She charges £400 which is a sensible price for either of these as she says it is ridiculous to be charging more for a crossbreed but that the same care goes into breeding them as it does into the pure pups so she wants the same price. Fair enough, she has a good cocker bitch and uses a proper poodle stud dog and she rears the pups with care to go to pet homes.

Having said that, the problem is that most will not have been bred carefully and will be asking ridiculously high prices. But then there are plenty of pet breeders that do ask the same price as proper responsible breeders so how different is it.

#13 Blitz, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  14. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Hi thanks for the advice, the price really isnt the issue to be honest. I have never come across either breed personally so I was just asking for things to be looking out for, that may occur in either breed. Wish us luck :D

15. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

i fail to see why somone would pay more for a crossbred, with or without a stupid name, when they can buy a pure bred of one of the parents for the same if not less money???.

16. clueless

clueless Banned

Emm thats why I posted the health issues, these were from both breeds so not disputing that purebreeds do not suffer from them?????
    Thanks for that I thought they suffered from these things but could not remember lol

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'm not sure why anyone would pay £350 for a mongrel in the first place :rolleyes: Designer breeds at its worst.

DKDREAM likes this.
  18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Because IF, and this is a big if, the breeder of a crossbreed litter has researched the market, researched what is likely to be produced, used a dog and bitch that are good enough to be used for pure breeding and have had health checks and has then decided to breed something which appears to be wanted then why shouldnt they ask a price that reflects the work and money that has gone into producing a litter.
    Surely better than that than 2 pure dogs being mated indiscriminately and selling pups for the 'going rate' for that breed regardless of the fact that they havent been produced or reared with any care or knowledge.

19. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

There's going to be good and bad breeders whether or not you're breeding purepreds or crosses so I'm not quite sure what you're saying by there.

I think it's ridiculous that crosses are being bred and sold for well over £100. I have no problems in buying crosses, I understand people need to make money back from the litter but why INTENTIONALLY cross two breeds? What does that achieve?

I have had many cross breeds in my life whom I have loved. They all came from rescues and this is where I suspect many of these designer breeds will end up.

20. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

If the breeder had done that then they wouldnt have done the mating :D
    Ok we all know its a mongrel but the prices are far to much
    imo a responsible breeder wouldnt cross two breds any way weather searched or not!! Theres only one reason people do it on purpose and thats for cash signs!

#20 DevilDogz, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice