UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Chinese Chongqing Dogs in the UK?
They are a rare breed of dog native to the Chongqing city of China, and are also very rare in China, just wondering if any on our shores?
or if anyone knows anything about them...

never seen anything like them before...

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
the only place it is recognised is China so your chances of getting a very rare unknown breed elsewhere are pretty slim x

·
Registered
579 Posts
They may well be, but the problem is the gene pool on the dogs that are here must be so small mustn't it? Not likely to get a healthy dog is the foundation stock that everyone is breeding from is inbred. :scared:

Since countries like China declared pet keeping bourgeois in communist times they slayed hundreds of dogs and native breeds like this really suffered.

I'd get a thai ridgeback or a Franch bulldog if I wanted similar I think. :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Breeds die out for a reason though! :D And they're entirely man made so what's stopping you making your own? :p
the a very old breed and date back as far as 206 B.C.E back to the Han Dynasty :scared:
The Chinese Chongqing dog is an ancient and unique breed, thought to have been in existence since the Han dynasty in China. The origin of this breed is Chongqing, located in the southwestern region of the China. The Chongqing dogs are used for hunting ( scent hound ) and protection of the home, they are good working dog and family companion.
The Chinese Chongqing dog is quite different from many western breeds, it is known that many western breeds are "man-made", but the Chinese Chongqing dog is a "natural" breed. They were bred for centuries with little regard for conformation, but solely for their working capabilities, and in the old days, geographical isolation make the breed remained pure without the interference from the outside( Introductions to Chongqing ). They shaped by the forces of nature, natural selection has successfully eliminated undesirable traits in the breed. Therefore, no known major health problems exist in the Chinese Chongqing dog

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
I doubt there would be any in the UK as they are such a rare breed (being made rarer by the silly chinese government :()

but they are beautiful and i'd love to meet one, absoloutely stunning dogs.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
There was a thread on champdogs a while back where someone had imported two from China to the UK. The thread seems to have vanished but I've found a link to the vieo of the dogs. I quite like them. They say they will breed them in the comments, too.

YouTube - Chinese Chongqing Dog & Bulldog
smaller then i thought! but wow that bull dog is a chunky thing!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.