Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chinchilla weight and eating after surgery

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by Lauren Gillman, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Lauren Gillman

Lauren Gillman PetForums Newbie

Hi,

New to the forum and looking for some advice from other chin owners. Sorry it's a long one!

About four weeks ago my 6 year old chinchilla, Dickens, had to have his leg amputated after falling it and breaking it.

After the surgery I had to syringe feed him 3 times a day as well as giving him lots of antibiotics, painkillers, anti inflammatories and anti bloat meds. The vet advised he might not eat anything while on the medication.

Medication finished after two weeks and he healed nicely. However, he's still not eating solid food properly and has been losing weight.

He currently weighs 550g (weighed 630 after surgery). My vet said he's at a good weight but shouldn't lose anymore and needs to maintain without the syringe feeding.

I tried stopping the syringe feeding but he just dropped weight more quickly. I'm currently feeding him 7-10ml of Emeraid Critical Care three times a day and he loses and gains the same 2g each day.

The vet has advised me to give him some painkiller again but I don't think he's in pain. Other than the not eating, you wouldn't think anything had happened. He's moving around really well (just as well as he did before really), is bright, alert, having sand baths and I have seen him eating hay and the occasional, approved treat.

Has anyone had experience in this before? Any advice on how to wean him off the syringe feed and back onto solids?

Many thanks!

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Try mixing his regular pellets with a little warm water to make them more palatable for him. Syringe feeding and med taking is traumatic for a chinchilla, so you could try giving his CC in a small bowl where he can help himself under close monitoring. Try this for a few days and also closely monitor his pellet intake. Is he taking his treats freely?

Lauren Gillman likes this.
  3. Lauren Gillman

Lauren Gillman PetForums Newbie

Thank you, I started doing this yesterday actually and he really seems to like it. He goes for the syringe instead of struggling.

He is taking treats pretty freely, he doesn't always take them from my hand, sometimes I have to put them down in front of him but he will pick them up straight away. Not sure if that's significant or he's just fed up with me because of the syringe feeding?

4. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Please keep us informed how you get on with your boy. If you have any further worries, post here and we will try our best to help and advise.

Lauren Gillman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice