Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chinchilla sudden death

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by Ada Dmt, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Ada Dmt

Ada Dmt PetForums Newbie

Sadly, my chinchilla died a few days ago and I'm heartbroken. I don't know what could have caused her death and I have so many questions..
    Days before her death she refused to drink water or eat. My mom put some kind of pampers material as her bedding to absorb her urine and the bad smell a few weeks ago, and I noticed that my chin somehow chewed some. Could that be the cause? Before we used newspaper for her bedding.
    Also, we changed her food 2 weeks ago but she seemed happy with the new one..

2. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

Chinchillas have very, very sensitive stomachs.

She could well have become blocked up from the pampers style bedding.
    Newspaper isn't great for them either as they shouldn't eat it and it's not very absorbent.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

It could well have been from impaction due to eating the bedding. Woodshavings would have been better as anything in the cage should be safe for them to consume.
    Depending on how hot the room was she may have died from heat stroke, I know of a few that have passed due to their owners houses getting incredibly hot and not having air conditioning for them.
    Did you have her seen by a vet when she went off her food?

4. Ada Dmt

Ada Dmt PetForums Newbie

In the room that we usually kept her the AC was running all the time. Indeed, she had some problems back in march (a seizure I think) because my mom left her in the bathroom to play and forgot to open the windows and in the room was pretty hot. We took her to the vet and she recovered.
    The day before she died, I took her to the vet but I was nervous because in my country, especially in the small town that my parents live, there's not a specialized vet in chinchillas or in any exotic animals.
    When we took her to him back in March he actually called a friend that used to work as a vet in Circus and he told him what to do. So we rushed there without calling and he was out of town, and the nurse was there. She called him and then she injected her with some vitamins and an anti-inflammatory solution...We took her home but she still refused to eat or drink water, and the next day she passed away in my arms. I watched her suffer without being able to do anything, and it was terrible..
    Sorry for my English, I hope you understand..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice