Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chinchilla rescue and rehoming

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by susie, Dec 12, 2007.

1. susie

susie PetForums Member

Hi I have just found your forum . Look forward to chatting to you all.

I have a mini menagerie of approx 30 chins , a gsd , 2 ducks and a daft African Grey

We are also part of a small rescue based in Yorkshire and Cumbria and are always looking for knowledgeable loving homes for the chins that through no fault of their own arrive with us for rehoming .

Chins are not rehomed for breeding purposes and a donation is required

2. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

hello and welcome to the forum

3. Hi Susie and welcome!

4. sokeldachshunds

sokeldachshunds PetForums Member

Chinchillas4life still have many chinchillas at Leeds and with me in Cumbria

5. cav

cav PetForums VIP

hi and welcome.:)

6. xXhayleyroxX

xXhayleyroxX PetForums Senior

hiya :) i would take some chins but i already have 5 that have been found in cruel situations and locations :(
    plus i live in the north east of england :p
    but if you're ever up here i know a lot of lovely people who might love one :)
    thats all i can suggest :(

nice to see someone else who helps rescue them! obviously i hav'nt got as many as you but at least i saved 5 :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

EDIT: gawd im soo stoopid i do live near you! silly me :) if u do need a one rehoming i told my mum about you and she said we could take another girl on for Nina because she is lonely. how much is the donation?

#6 xXhayleyroxX, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  7. susie

susie PetForums Member

Hi Hayley

Sorry I have been offline for a few days with pc problems :mad:

I do have a single gorgeous girl who needs a friend and a good forever home .

I am not sure if you know how to introduce chins but you would need 2 cages side by side for a few weeks to allow the chins to get used to and accept one another. If you would like to chat further I can pm you my telephone number or you can email if you prefer :)

8. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hi and welcome
    ive always wanted one but cant now :) :)

9. cav

cav PetForums VIP

i would love one but you are to far away:( and to be honest do not realy know what care and time they need.:)

10. xXhayleyroxX

xXhayleyroxX PetForums Senior

lol don't worry i've had pc problems as well haha
    and sounds great :)
    i dont mind how we get in contact lol, ill just double check with my mum `cause a tiny baby girl chinchilla isnt wanted so my mum said she would have it, but im sure we can still take on another girl :D and yeah i know how to introduce them :p
    ill get back to you as soon as possible

xxxxxx

11. vet-2-b

vet-2-b PetForums VIP

i'm not sure whether to get one from my r.s.p.c.a or a baby?older baby from a rescue can you please help me

12. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

Rescue chinchilas are becoming more common - I have taken in 4 within the last week....two from people who contacted me through my site and 2 from someone at work.

Last year was worse - I took in 8 animals from one person - their coats were matted and I had to shave a couple of them.

Chinchillas are easy to look after, all they need is hay/pellets and a regular dustbath

13. ladypurple

ladypurple PetForums Junior

my first chin rescue comes to me this week have just seen pic of her she gorgeous i cant wait

14. wilma

wilma PetForums Newbie

Hi

You sound like you must know alot about chinchillas. i have a chinchilla who is 6 years old i took her to the vets last week as she was being picky with her food, the vet checked her teeth bith front and back but they were fine. Shesw running round as normal but now today she won't eat anything! don't suppose you've come across this or if anyone else has have they? i'd be greatfull if there's anyone out they that could advise me.

cheers

15. Jammy

Jammy PetForums Junior

Can we please have chinny pics we used to breed and keep chins but havent any these days and i miss them :(

16. susie

susie PetForums Member

It is impossible to properly check the back teeth without an anaesthetic so unless your vet gave your chinchilla a general anaesthetic and used special tools to look at the back teeth theres no way they can know if her back teeth are ok.

If your chin is not eating she needs to be seen by a chinchilla competent vet as a matter of urgency as a chin that is not eating can quickly go into gut stasis and can become very ill . In the mean time you need to syringe feed him with a liquid diet, theres one called critical care for herbivores.
    Good luck and I hope she gets better, please let us know how she goes on

17. ladypurple

Hi to all own 2 chins waiting to collect another they are very catching gorgeous creatures:cool:

18. ladypurple

have space to take on 1 chin whatever the sex i am in clacton on sea::cool:

19. ladypurple

willing to take on a male or female chin that needs a home already have 2

20. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

Albatross Chinchillas are in Kent and often have rescue animals looking for homes. If you contact Heather she will be able to give you more details.

The link is:
    Albatross Chinchillas

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice