Chinchilla Persian with no papers?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Junaki, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

I bought my first kitten a few weeks ago for £650. She is a Golden Chinchilla Persian but she came with no papers. I was given a little kitten pack with 4 weeks free insurance and an ancestry chart all the way up to her great grandparents. The ancestry chart tree thing does have the breeders name and address on it so they're not hiding where they're from or anything and we were shown the parents GCCF pedigree but I was wondering if this was uncommon practice and something to worry about? She is just a pet (not for shows or breeding) and I'll love and pamper her regardless but I wouldn't appreciate being misled after spending that much money. Is there a justifiable reason for not registering the kittens?

2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

If either of the parents were registered on the non-active register no offspring can be registered. The non-active register is for all cats not intended for breeding for whatever reason. They may not be good enough for breeding or they may just have been sold as pets. I do not think there is any justifiable reason for not registering kittens if they are bred properly. After all they are not really pedigree kittens without the registration certificate.

3. Nicholas86

Nicholas86 PetForums Junior

I would go ask the breeder why.
    £650 is alot of money for a unregistered Persian.

4. Smuge

Smuge PetForums Senior

I paid less for Tali, she is fully registered and has a strong show family history.

Tho pedigree cats in general cost less in my part of the country compared to other areas, I suppose the OP could be in London or somewhere like that

5. Nicholas86

Nicholas86 PetForums Junior

£650 is pet price fully non active registered in the UK.

6. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums Member

£650 is on the upper end of pet price, particularly for a kitten that comes without a registration document. I would be asking the breeder a lot of questions and ringing GCCF to see if the "breeder" has a registered prefix with them

7. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I am not sure a prefix is relevant here but the office may be able to say if the parents are on the active register. (It may be sensitive data I suppose.) The GCCF has no power over people who choose not to register their cats with them.

8. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums Member

A prefix would be helpful to understand why the kitten has not been registered - either they don't have one or they are on the suspension list. Worth an ask anyway, as part of the whole picture.

The office can give out information as to whether the cats are on the active register, yes. I have asked the question about a few different cats, I can provide the cat's name but they can't give any information out beyond yes or no to active.

9. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Those who are suspended are named. Prefix applications are falling and more breeders are registering litters using an administrative prefix, which is not sinister in itself.

havoc likes this.
  10. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Member

It could be the registrations hadn't come through in time. I have had two of my three pedigrees with their breeders pedigree and I got sent through their official certified pedigree a week after I got them.

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

*if* the parents are both registered active with the GCCF then an unregistered kitten should be supplied with the paperwork for the new owner to register it themselves, and they could register it active. I would be astonished if this kitten could be registered.

havoc and QOTN like this.
  12. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I agree. I was simply stating the rules. I am not sure about the position regarding registering kittens who have not been declared.

13. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Member

Unlike FIFe where all offspring from FIFe registered Dams, GCCF and TICA do not have the same requirement. So I will have to register my dams kittens with FIFe but I do not have to register or even declare kittens with TICA of GCCF as mine are registered with all 3 registrys.

14. OrientalSlave

QOTN likes this.
  15. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

Okay, I've emailed the breeder today about this. I thought it was a bit strange. Also I'm from the Midlands but I travelled 1 hour or so north to collect Princess.

16. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Unfortunately the breeding of cats on the non-active register is not within the control of the GCCF. Their regulations can only apply to offspring of active register cats.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  17. OrientalSlave

Indeed, and as I said previously, "I would be astonished if this kitten could be registered."

18. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums Member

My comment was simply a way of crossing something a list. I agree that admin prefixes are not sinister in itself, only that if it were me, I would find it helpful to know whether the parents of the kitten were active registered or not, as that would clear up whether they're breeding from non-active or active. It's simply another line of enquiry that would do no harm to investigate, and OP may not have known it was possible to investigate this way.

19. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I don't charge that much for my Chinchilla pets and mine come registered, vaccinated, chipped and neutered! Personally I don't think that there is any justifiable reason not to register kittens. Unfortunately Chinchillas are particularly favoured by BYBs and there are loads of them operating around the UK, particularly the Midlands and Manchester areas. No proper breeder will allow a kitten to go before 12 weeks (I think that under GCCF the rule is 13 weeks now). So if your kitten was younger than this, which I seem to recall from a previous post it was, and isn't vaccinated then you've unfortunately probably bought your kitten from a BYB :(

20. Junaki

Junaki PetForums Junior

Ugh, I feel so naive and now looking back at it (with all the information provided by you guys) it has become evident as stated by @Tigermoon that they seem to be BYB. I emailed them and they replied by saying unfortunately, it would not be possible to register her. Oh well, at least she's in good hands now and now I can be more careful with any future purchases. I'm kind of angry that I spent so much for so less (not talking about the kitty, talking about the lack of registration and vaccinations)