Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chin scab

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mellowyellow, Jun 6, 2010.

1. mellowyellow

mellowyellow PetForums Member

Nala has developed a scab on her chin, I'm on nights at moment went to stroke her when I got home on sat morning and there was a flat scab under her jaw. When I got up the scab seems to be turning into a lump and she now has no hair in that area. I cleaned it with hibiscrub in the morning and before I left for work. She seems happy in herself (does not like me cleaning it but she hates being held anyway) acting like her normal self chasing and talking to a spider in the bath lol. What else do you thing I should do till I can get her to the vets on Monday?

2. Tje

Tje Banned

cats often get feline acne around the chin... apart from getting some cream prescribed by the vet, I clean it twice daily with well diluted hibiscrub. Also they say you should feed these cats from porcelain or metal bowls/plates... and not from plastic. Something to do with plastic harbouring more bacteria because they get scratches in them. Bowls should be washed daily.

Then again, may be it's a wound or a hotspot or an allergic reaction and not acne.

Hobbs on this forum recommended aloe vera gel to me (for wounds/skin conditions in cats) and I must say I like it. It doesn't leave the skin greasy or wet, so they leave the wound alone and don't lick it continually... I get the impression that it's soothing and doesn's nip ot sting for the cats. Maybe you could try that?

But if you're taking her to the vet tomorrow, then you'll probably get cream prescribed anyway.

best of luck.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

As per usual great advice from Tje!

I had a cat who started getting a hairless scabby patch on her chin. Turned out she had something wrong with her teeth - it was the saliva/drooling that caused that as well as her pawing her mouth. Cleared when her teeth got sorted.

So the reasons why that may happen are numerous. If you are at all worried then it is a trip to vet.

4. mellowyellow

mellowyellow PetForums Member

Have just got in. It looks a little better this morning not so much of a lump just flat scaby, which I'm soo glad cause I'm dog tired and working again tonight think I would have cried if I'd had to treck to the oncall vets today. She is currently stropping as I've just put a head coller on her to stop her washing the hibiscrub off I had it from when she was spayed. They already have ceramic food dishes as my other cat sometimes gets black spots but nowere near as bad as this

#4 mellowyellow, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  5. bug_girl

bug_girl PetForums Junior

Chin injuries aren't uncommon in cats. It happens because they jump down from things head first. If they don't quite fully cushion the impact with their front legs their chins can hit the floor - if it's a hard/rough floor (e.g. concrete, tarmac) this can graze the chin.

If they'd just learn to climb down backwards like a normal person they wouldn't have this problem, but they're so stubborn...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice