Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Children's Writing - Is this normal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RachJeremy, Apr 13, 2017.

1. RachJeremy

RachJeremy PetForums Senior

Just curious, as i feel like it's a serious issue... Do you think this work is acceptable from an 8 year old? Like the style of writing and the way it's worded. Not my child, but is a family member.

17884636_10208412614009788_6099067146597347924_n.jpg 17904237_10208412613769782_1734213510331676031_n.jpg

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

It can be normal, yes. At that age the parameters for normal writing are very broad.
    At that age I can assure you, neither of mine would have correctly spelled some of those words, and both are gifted students.

RachJeremy likes this.
  3. RachJeremy

Thanks for your reply. I seem to remember doing work younger than this child's age on how to do words and write neatly... Not saying this is wrong. But i remember being able to write a lot neater than this a lot younger than this too. The child in question seems to just spend his time in front of a computer or PS4, and doesn't have much in the way of social skills or vocabulary compared to many other children of his age or younger. I know it could be linked to some 'disabilities', but i feel like there is more to it than that. He's a very bright little boy, but don't think he's getting the attention or help he needs. :(

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

I think kids develop at different rates naturally.
    My writing was awful at that age, and my mum took me to a speech therapist as a youngster as they were concerned about my communication development but was sent away as I was fine! Just quiet (and a bit lazy!). My brother was also told he would never be good at maths based on his 8yo skills and he ended up with a master in maths, a chartered accountant and head of finance for a major company.....
    He may just be a later bloomer in communicative skills. I'm sure the school would raise any concerns if it was abnormal?

5. RachJeremy

I'm hoping he's a late bloomer with it... He's quite a bright child, he just doesn't seem to know how to communicate and has a lot of paddies when he doesn't get his way and doesn't understand things as well as he could at times... He's brilliant at maths and really good at gaming though... So he will probably do well regardless. I guess schools have just changed a lot since i was last in them. As when i was his age, i'd of been told off for writing the way he does XD I even remember having books where you had to write 'A' in a specific way, then 'B' in a specific way.. >.< My writing is awful now, i am dyslexic and have trouble writing tidy and the odd spelling. But when i was his age, i had to write to posh in a way, it took me forever to write a sentence, let alone a paragraph!

Thank you for your answers, it's nice to know it's normal really and that it's my way of looking at it that's odd lol :)

6. ouesi

ouesi Guest

As a generalization, boys tend to lag behind girls when it comes to fine motor skills - like writing neatly. At 8 all of that is still very much a work in progress.

Was the child attempting to write neatly or just hurry up and get the assignment done?

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you don't think he is getting enough support with his education at home, could you engage with him and perhaps encourage him?

My parents helped a couple of cousins with their reading and writing because their parents didn't really engage in their learning. One in particular, struggled badly and I think that affected his behaviour - tantrums were a regular occurrence. Probably borne out of frustration at not being able to cope with schoolwork.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Zaros like this.
  8. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I'd ask to see the school's handwriting policy. Do they teach a cursive script? Which year group is he in? At 8 he could be in either Y3 or Y4. They don't assess with levels any more, but do you have his assessment data for reading, writing and maths? I'd certainly be looking at developing his fine motor skills and developing the quality of his written work through lots of practical activities. However, as Ouesi said it does depend on how much effort he put into that piece of work.

9. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I wouldnt be worried but I'd try engaging him to practice writing. There are handwriting pages you can print off that are helpful.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

11. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

The content and punctuation and grammar of the writing is probably about what you would expect for around 8 years old. He writes in chronological order, uses time connectives, compound sentences and capital letters and full stops. He spells words like 'watched' and 'fireworks' correctly but not 'shower'.
    Some of the sentences, particularly the last one, are not in the order you would expect but I'd say that's still fairly typical of his age.
    The handwriting itself is pretty poor, but I work in a year 3 classroom and plenty of the boys in the class have similar writing. He could probably do with some handwriting practise, and possibly some fine motor skills input. Does his school run any interventions such as smart moves or fizzy motor skills groups?

LinznMilly likes this.
  12. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

And make a game of it and not an issue. :)

HarlequinCat, Lurcherlad and Jobeth like this.
  13. MrsZee

MrsZee Guest

I´d also make sure that you don´t connect handwriting with smartness or other abilities, as negative comments don´t do help at all and can cause insecurities, which might lead to real problems. Besides, nowadays people don´t write By hand much, and handwriting can be really poor, even if one is a very good student otherwise.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  14. Estelle Arama

Estelle Arama PetForums Junior

oh yes defo! My younger brother is 8, and he can read but quite slowly. As for his writing, it looks just the same as in the picture you posted, he struggles with spellings, and his writing is quite scribbly, however his teacher has told me that there have been many students in the past with the same messiness in writing, and that in about year 4-5 it will start to change as there mind will be a bit more able. Also, my brother is left handed.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  15. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

With regards to spelling I think all kids around that age have some words that they repeatedly misspell. I remember I always had problems with "either" I just couldn't get my head around it starting with ei :rolleyes:. Handwriting is also something that will get better with practice.

I don't understand the need for all children to develope at exactly the same rate as each other. Everyone has different skills, it just takes a little while to catch up in certain areas. As long as they get all the support and encouragement they need

ouesi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice