Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Children and puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by smegs1978, Aug 14, 2009.

1. smegs1978

smegs1978 PetForums Junior

Hello,
    I have just read the post about the ladies dog that bit her 2 year old and it got me thinking.

What age is an acceptable age to leave a puppy/dog with a child without supervising?

I have 3 children, 2, 5 and 6. I think i could trust the 6 year old to respect Barney, however my 5 year old is a bit immature and wouldn't understand and obviously my 2 year is to young.

Just after your opnions rather than a right or wrong answer.

2. trekky

trekky PetForums Member

I think it depends on the child and how well you know the child and dog. I currently have a 8 wk old 3yr old and 5yr old plus 2 dogs i don't leave them together unattended at all but that's mainly because i used to have a dog when my eldest was born that hated kids and i used to live my life on tenderhooks all the time so i'm probably more weary.

The dogs live in a dog run during the day for my own peace of mind so the children can play out in the garden without any supervision. They don't hassle the dogs and the dogs are quite happy to chill out in the run and kennel. They've been like that since puppies so the dogs know no different and only when we're all in the garden do they mix.

3. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

It depends on the child and the dog.
    I have 3 lhasa's and a pyrenean that I would feel totally safe leaving my 11year old with... but she's responsible enough to know how to behave with them. You may think that all children of this age should know how to behave around dogs but I know different :rolleyes: On my daughters last birthday, she had a sleepover, one of her friends just would not leave the dogs alone, kept picking them up and holding them on their backs like a baby, then trying to get them to play, do tricks, pulling at them etc. I lost count of the number of times I had to tell her to leave them alone and in the end it was the poor dogs that suffered as I had to put them all in the kitchen behind the baby gate. Thankfully kids being kids, they all went off and did something else then went to bed. In the morning I had to sit this girl down and have a serious chat with her about her serious lack of respect to our dogs and point out how things could have been so different. I think I got through to her as she was pretty quiet when her mum came to collect her.

There are children younger than my daughter that I've seen handing rather large dogs at shows, they show the dog a lot of respect and have total control, in fact they do better than a few adults.

It just depends on the child and the dog, each should be judged on their own merit and ability.

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Only when you can trust all parties...but still as liitle as possible..i will leave Lauren with the dogs when i quickly pop to the loo etc...but i always judge the situation at that time, if Mavis and Ozzy are playing together i will put them in the kitchen as they can get worked up , if they were calm or fast asleep no problem...it also derepends on your children , Lauren leaves them alone most of the time, and is very gentle with them

juliex

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i leave mine alone together to go for a wee e.t.c

My children are 4yrs old and 5yrs old, they are pretty good and lucky both dogs are fine and love the cuddles and attention as they are still only young themselfs

i'd say 99.9% of the time we are all together but at times i want to go to the loo all on my own and not have to have 2 children and 2 dogs with me lol

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Personally I would never leave a child with a dog. Teenagers are different of course but any child under 10 I wouldn't leave with them. I've had the horrible job of removing a much loved family pet from a home after it savaged the 8 year old child and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Just my opinion and I don't have kids so can't say how difficult it is to manage kids and dogs but having worked for certain services that are involved in these situations its not something I'd do.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

We werent allowed a family dog until i was 10. I wasnt allowed to walk him on my own until i was 14/15.

I started work in kennels at 11, where i was walking, feeding and cleaning, Rotties, SBT's, Mastiffs, GSD's etc. Many powerful breeds, yet i wasnt allowed to walk our own very well tempered lab. My parents weren't quite right in the head.

I dont think under 10's should ever be trusted, and even then it should be dealt with on an individual basis. Many kids seem to go through a very angry phase when they hit their teenage years, and i wouldnt trust them not to lash out at a dog.

8. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

I never leave dogs and children together i always work on:
    "its better to be safe then sorry"

Like the other posters have put some times, children know how to handle dogs and there may never be problems, I just wouldn't like to chance it..

9. personally NEVER

I understand there are times when you need the loo/pop the kettle on etc but then billy comes with me.

I now have two new boys in the house and at the moment i wouldnt trust them for even a couple of seconds alone with the kids. Its not that i think they would harm, its because i dont know them!

My kids are very pet savvy but accidents happen and i am not willing to risk that.

10. cav

cav PetForums VIP

Ive got 3 children aged 8,11 and 15 my children have learnt to respect my dogs from a early age ive never had any problems;)

I never leave my children alone with my dogs when im not there!!

11. smegs1978

smegs1978 PetForums Junior

Thanks all for your opnions.

Its hard to imagine that Barney would hurt any of us on purpose.

12. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I think this is true for most family pets :) however i think most reactions come from the dog feeling like it cant get away, or is extremely uncomfortable in a situation and is metaphorically speaking backed into a corner... Fight or flight instincts kick in, rather than the dog suddenly deciding to bite for no reason, and intentionally hurting a family member

13. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Very interesting question and it massively depends on the kids and dogs.

I don't have children, but for those of you that do, you know how trustworthy your kids are with your dogs. Some kids of 8 might be really grown up and know how to be with dogs. Then again you have kids of 12 who cannot be trusted.

I think as responsible parents, you know the right thing to do, but you have to rely on your instincts.

For me, when we do have children. I could never trust Max, he is way to unpredicatable, so I will have to be super vigilant!

14. Gil3987

Gil3987 PetForums Senior

My boyfriends daughter stays with us every second weekend she will be 5yrs old next month and i wouldnt trust her with the dog, numerous times have had to give her a row for hitting, kicking even spitting on the dog, and i just wont tolerate this because i wouldnt like the dog to retaliate because i dont see why its something he has to put up with, if my dog has to get put down because she cannot behave herself and respect the dog there will be trouble. I was brought up with dogs from an early age and have always had respect for dogs and my mum and dad have always been able to trust me ans my brother ans sister from an appropriate age.

I dont have kids of my own yet but when i do they will be taught to respect the dog from day one as i was.

So I wouldnt leave them together ever not even to nip to the loo, i trust the dog just not the child.

Hope that all made sense :lol:

15. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

My answer is i would never leave children and dogs alone together,my g/children have all been bought up with me having dogs in the house and to respect them,but we all know that sometimes a dog can feel unwell and it takes time to show so we dont really know how they are feeling 24/7 .when i am in lounge with g/childen my dogs often come in and curl up with them,but as i said only when im around.

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

it never crossed my mind not to leave my daughter with at least one of my dogs. My collie was not great with children but loved her and the other dog belonged to my daughter. We got her when my daughter was 3 and Meg was 4 months and they were inseperable. Meg went to the bathroom with her, wandered round the farm with her, played with her, was trained by her and if she had friends round to play Meg was one of the group.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice