Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chihuahua won't stop scratching!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Samanthag, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Samanthag

Samanthag PetForums Newbie

Hello! I've got a 10 year old chorkie, and he is constantly scratching. He's been to the vets twice already, the first time he was flead, wormed and had his anal glands checked, but he was still scratching after a week. The second time he was given some antihistamines, he's been on these a few days but he's still just as bad.

I started giving him salmon oil mid October but I've stopped this incase over 2 weeks ago, incase he was allergic.

The vets have said the next step would be steriods which I would like to avoid if possible. Is there anything I'm missing that could be irritating him?

(Nothing had changed in terms of cleaning products used in the house etc)

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

2. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

Could he be allergic to his food or treats ?
    Maybe you can try weaning him onto a different food to see if it helps him.
    Trial and error sort of thing.

Samanthag and niamh123 like this.
  3. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

As mentioned by @Beth78 this could be a diet issue.

In reply to @Samanthag

My suggestion would be to eliminate all grain from the diet and try a raw diet. There are a large number of number of our dogs these days that suffer from food allergies, very often the cause is the huge amount of grain that is in the food and man made treats.
    Having said that, there are also a huge amount of dogs that thrive just as well on the convenient kibbles without problems.
    There are some good quality "Grain free" kibbles such as, "Millies Wolfheart" Acana and Orion.
    Unfortunately our vets are not nutritionists and have very little nutritional training.
    Raw products can be just as convenient as the modern day "complete" kibbles/biscuits.
    For convenience the "Natures Menu" frozen products are very good for starters. There is no blood or mess in this product.
    Change over can be very quick, it can be done either straight away, or over just a couple of days if you wished. There are many dogs that have recovered from itchy issues, simply by changing to a raw diet.

Our dogs are canine creatures and their teeth indicate the type of food product that they should eat.
    There is also a very good informational little book that is easy to read and understand that may help. "Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs". This can be purchased on Amazon for as little as 1p, it used to be free by registering with the "Honeys" website.

#3 wee man, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    lorilu likes this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Where is he scratching?

If it’s his back end, anal glands can need more than one visit if still causing problems. It can take a while for them to settle especially if the area has been made sore by licking/rubbing.

Torin. and lullabydream like this.
  5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Yeah, I was going to ask for more details on the scratching behaviour!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Did the vets suggest any reason for the scratching? Did they take a skin scrape?

lullabydream and kimthecat like this.
  7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Surely that depends on the vet?
    My own vet has never had an issue with raw feeding, and is knowledgeable on proper ratios of bone and meat and organ... She sees way too many people hear "feed raw" and proceed to give their dog nothing but hamburger meat and then wonder why the dog is ill.

Sorry to pick up on this post, but this is like the 3rd post I've seen today essentially telling new members their vet is incompetent and I'm not sure how helpful it is. Not to mention inaccurate. We hire vets because they have extensive training in disease and disorders in our pets that we keyboard warriors do not. They're also the person who has actually laid hands on the animal, has their medical history, lab records, exams, etc. Again, we do not.

Telling someone with an itchy dog to change foods is all well and good IF the itchiness is due to a food intolerance or allergy. But itching can be due to many reasons, not just food. Putting a demodex infested dog on raw is not going to do anything to alleviate the itching.

Also telling someone to switch foods without knowing what food that dog is currently eating and why is also irresponsible. Some dogs need a low protein diet, some dogs need a low fat diet. Randomly suggesting a diet switch in a 10 year old dog without asking some questions first is not the most helpful approach. IMO of course :)

Rafa, Linda Weasel, Samanthag and 2 others like this.
  8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I wish rep was available.. Seen so many posts where dogs in double digits, who obviously must have thrived on a food their whole life to be told to switch food as if its going to be a miracle cure... There could be a serious under lying condition and whilst they are being told the food is terrible because it is only rated so much and contains nearly all grains.. Should switch now....what really should be said go back to the vet more tests are needed.

O2.0 and Samanthag like this.
  9. Samanthag

Thank you for all your replies!

@Lurcherlad He tends to scratch around his stomach, but he mainly rubs his head on the floor! The vet has told me to take him back in a week if the antihistamines don't help at all, she never mentioned skin scrapes or anything like that but i'm sure they would do something before resorting to steroids. His anal glands were really full the first time he went in, but they were checked the second time and they were fine.

Regarding his diet, he's always had a mixture of dog meat and kibble. he doesn't tend to eat many dog treats, apart from a very small amount of cooked chicken. The only new thing I've introduced was the salmon oil, which he's been without for for over 2 weeks but this hasn't made a difference. I've thought about adding raw food to his diet but i'm quite cautious due to the fact he's had gastroenteritis before after a change in food when he was a bit younger. I'm just reluctant to completely change his diet and risk further problems.

I can start taking something out of his diet though, maybe it is just a case of trial and error!

O2.0 and Beth78 like this.
  10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

You have to be careful adding oil. Of course salmon oil can be an allergen, but adding oil any oil, can also have a laxative effect. So it maybe his stools were slightly softer, which may have caused the anal gland problems. If stools aren't as hard as usual the anal glands don't empty as normal, too hard you have the same problem. So if he's never had the problem before, it could be this. If he's eating a balanced diet hypothetically he shouldn't need the extra oil anyway.

The rubbing his head on his floor, has he had his ears and teeth checked that would be my first thought on the scratching. Could be something wedged in between the back teeth, which might not be obvious. Especially as you are seeing no improvement with the antihistamine, which suggests no allergy so change of food would probably do nothing.

Lurcherlad, Linda Weasel and Torin. like this.
  11. Samanthag

I'm sure the anal gland problem was down to the oil, as he's not been 'scooting' since his first trip to the vets, so that's essentially one problem solved! My other dog has fish oil tablets to help with his arthritis, which is why I was recommend to try it with Freddy as well.

The vet checked his ears on his second visit and couldn't see any problems. His teeth haven't been looked at, so this is something that can be done, thank you!

12. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Whatever you decide to do, try not to test out too many theories at once, as you won't know what piece was the one that worked.

At his age, I would probably ask about hormonal changes. Things like thyroid issues can cause dry, itchy skin. Ask the vet what they think is going on and why they're thinking about steroids next. That will give you an idea of what direction they're looking in and you can adjust from there.

Torin., lullabydream and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Giving him a bath with Hibiscrub won’t do any harm either as it should soothe an itchy skin.

O2.0 likes this.
  14. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Or oatmeal, or both :)

lullabydream and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice