Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chihuahua mum and pups

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Jason Jordan, May 2, 2021 at 2:21 PM.

1. Jason Jordan

Jason Jordan PetForums Newbie

Hi all my chihuahua has just given birth on Wednesday on her 56th day unfortunately we lost one I think he was too weak and I think she killed one
    She keeps on digging in her box and keeps panting a lot I’ve had to start feeding the two pups as she’s very restless is this normal for her to do this

2. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Have you had her checked by the vet and are you sure she delivered them all?. Did she delivered all the afterbirth? It isn't normal behaviour. I would get her scanned asap and get her checked out.

kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The fact that she's digging may suggest she's uncomfortable or in pain.

If you change all her bedding, make sure she's in a comfortable temperature and she continues to behave this way, you need to let your Vet see her.

4. Jason Jordan

Jason Jordan PetForums Newbie

Spoke to vets and she’s stressed and she has rejected the pups coz her digging and trying to bury the pups is a sign of the rejection too

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It is rare for bitches to reject their pups.

It sounds to me as though something is amiss with her and, she is so distracted, she cannot care for her pups.

Your Vet needs to see and thoroughly examine her.

Is her whelping box in a quiet part of the house? Sometimes, bitches will become stressed if they don't feel safe.

niamh123, David C and O2.0 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice