Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

"Chihuahua (Almost) Puppies" for sale

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Thorne, May 15, 2010.

1. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Spotted this ad in the local paper this morning:

"CHIHUAHUA (ALMOST) PUPPIES"

3/4 Chihuahua, 1/4 Jack Russell - which adds intelligent and strength to the breed, home bred, seen with mother. Insured, fully wormed and puppy pack. £675"

Almost £700 for a cross!

2. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Fools this way, money this way.

3. kookie

kookie PetForums Newbie

well, at least the seller is honest.

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

What a cheek! Chihuahua's are plenty intelligent and strong thank you very much!!:mad:
    :D

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Looking at the for sales it seems that these crossings are fetching way more than their pedigree parents at the mo. Total madness! I will soon be able to afford a pedigree at this rate :thumbup:

6. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I have noticed this wth Poodles - you can get a Miniature Poodle for less than a Cava-poo, Westie-poo,etc. In some cases it's nearly as cheap to buy one of each parent breed than buy a "designer" cross:(

I an not anti crossbreeding as I have 2 Labradoodles - they were bought for a purpose, Poodle temperament but with a more easily managed coat. I did not pay silly prices, as most people were after the fluffy and heavy coated ones which need a lot of grooming/trimming which I did not want:D

7. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

My OH bought me a Chihuahua cross Jack russell for my birthday and she cost him £200.

She is 75% Chihuahua and 25% JR

(Her mum was Chihuahua X Jack Russell and her dad was pure Chihuahua)

So £700 is pretty expensive!!! xxxxx

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

My Heidi is a Westie x Jack Russell and she was £200 too :thumbup:

9. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

There is obviously a market out there for them!

If they struggle to sell them they will just drop the price.. Im pretty sure they will all find homes.

10. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

atleast the seller is honest. the price may depend on area but 700 is too much in my opinion.

11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I didn't pay that much for any of my show dogs even William wasn't that much and show greyhounds are very expensive.

12. comfortcreature

comfortcreature PetForums VIP

My friend's pet quality Cavalier King Charles cost $2500, no MRIs on parents as that is a rarity from any breeder in North America, and that is the common price here from a breeder involved in the show ring. Mixes of Cavaliers (with Poodles and Bichons) usually cost a third that so it doesn't fall true that all crossbreeds are more expensive than their parent breeds. 650 pounds is quite expensive for a Chihuahua mix, but at least this seller is being truthful about the mix. Hopefully they are caring for their dogs properly and backing up these pups as they should . . . that would be more my worry than the price.

CC

#12 comfortcreature, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  13. welshdoglover

welshdoglover PetForums Senior

I went to Pets At Home in Cwmbran today and saw an advert on the notice board advertising the chi x JR for £250. They did look thoroughly gorgeous though :D

14. Rhi and Cai

Rhi and Cai PetForums Junior

When I was looking to buy Cai there were many Jugs, chugs, shug's and all the other pug crosses you could think of, anywhere between £500 and £900.

Had to smile at one of the more expensive ones though; it was for a jug and it made a note of saying that both parents, a purebred JRT and purebred pug, were successful show dogs. Just made me think, does that really matter if the pups are crosses? :lol:

15. BubsyBear

BubsyBear PetForums Member

My Tribble is supposedly a "Designer" cross. She cost me £100 :thumbup:

16. welshdoglover

welshdoglover PetForums Senior

Years ago these fancy 'designer' dogs were advertised as 'free to good home' and usually came with half a tin of whatever it was being bed on :lol:

17. comfortcreature

comfortcreature PetForums VIP

I don't understand those that find it O.K. that those that breed purebreds found a way to market their dogs as "more valuable" and upcharge for them, but then complain that cross-breeders have now followed the lead and are charging hefty prices.

Both use marketting ploys to selll their pups.

Why is one more at fault than the other in the whole scheme of things?

I will add that I come from Alberta where 90% of our dogs are unregistered, and I find that it is the purebred breeders that are the worst offenders for deliberately marketting their dogs as "better" and charging hefty prices.

CC

#17 comfortcreature, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  18. momentofmadness

It so the new mummies and daddies of the pups can brag to their friends that there puppies parents were champions..lol People do it in the Horse world.. people use grade a showjumping stallions with an average mare get a foal and then just Brag Brag Brag..lol

At the end of the day.. They all have legs a head a heart and a tail that wags when they see us..... And we love them to bits regardless of where they are from... hehe

19. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't pay nearly £700 unless for a very special dog if I end up with a maltese it might be more than that. For a mutt no way. Nothing against mutts I have one which I got for free because the owner refused to take money for a cross

20. momentofmadness

If I paid £700 for a dog I would expect to put a saddle on it and be able to take it round a course of jumps..

I only paid £750 for my (was then) 4year old Irish draught x TB 16h horse..

I don't believe in robbing people...

Buying and selling I horses I always put them on the market at affordable prices..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice