Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chihuahua after Spayed

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Harry1988, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Harry1988

Harry1988 PetForums Newbie

Morning all my beautiful chi got Spayed on Thursday (now Sunday). She has a vet check tomorrow but just wanted to check if these things are normal, or if my VET bill will be expensive tomorrow. She has always had watery eyes, chihuahuas do. But now it seems to be a lot and sometimes gloopy.

Also she is weeing and pooing, heathy poos now. But she is doing lots of short wees around the garden. Is this because she’s in pain squatting? Or do you think UTI? Has anyone else had similarities after being Spayed ??

Many thanks!

2. David C

David C PetForums Senior

After a spay the check is usually free but you should mention to him about her eyes as she could have an infection which won't cost much for eye drops that the vet will prescribe if needed. As for the peeing she could just be a bit uncomfortable but you should mention it just to be on the safe side.

Harry1988 likes this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

She will be feeling quite different in the pelvic region without her uterus, and will probably interpret that as needing a wee - this is something that happens quite often. She'll soon get used to it and settle down.

4. Harry1988

Thanks all. Today I’ve noticed a lump by her scar. I’m thinking it’s a hernia poor thing. The check up 3 days after was good but now it’s 8 days after.
    I can’t get into the Vet until Tuesday, as it’s bank holiday. She has her check up then too. So I’ll keep a close eye on her until then.

Anyone got any ideas what it is?

Attached Files:

5. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

One of my cats had something similar after a spay and it disappeared on its own. Three vets gave three different opinions (one of which was hernia). One said it was most likely an allergy to whatever they used to do the stitch and to leave it until the stitch was removed; it did actually disappear after the stitch was removed. Maybe if your vet is open tomorrow (should be a normal working day for most vets) you could ring for advice to put your mind at rest.

lullabydream and Harry1988 like this.
  6. Harry1988

Sadly they aren’t open tomorrow. They open back up on Tuesday morning. She lets me touch it and doesn’t seem to be in pain with it. It isn’t soft and is right by her stitches. Let’s hope it is something like the stitches. Fingers crossed!

7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Am going for its her rejecting the stitches. It may, it may not form a head like an abscess, just be aware.

Can I ask the line where her stitches were they raised? That's often a sign that stitches 'may' get rejected.

Definitely go and see the vet Tuesday however if she seems a bit off colour she really needs to go to the out of hours vet. My chi rejected her stitches, and they came up like that then formed abscesses. My chi really wasn't herself but a short course of antibiotics sorted her out. This may not happen to your dog, however as a stitch rejector myself it usually comes with some infection as you are rejecting them because your body thinks they are a foreign body. So like a splinter in your finger, it will be pushed out eventually but usually infection surrounds it too.

Just to clarify the stitches will be internal ones.

Calvine likes this.
  8. Harry1988

Thanks for this! She seems quite her self at the moment, currently having a nap on my lap. But previously her cheeky self! The stitch line is raised yes, it’s a raised line. But hasn’t leaked or bleed the entire time. I’ve done some googling and I think you are right. Obviously I will keep an eye on her until the Vet on Tuesday morning.

Thanks everyone, sounds like it’s quite normal.
    First dog you see, so just want her to be well and given the best life.
    T

9. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Member

When I had my apso spayed she had the same thing. Her eyes were gloopy but it cleared up within a couple of days. Sometimes they put things into their eyes while they're under to stop them from drying out? Might have something to do with that? As for toileting I'd imagine she's in a bit of pain. If you think something's wrong, mention it to the vet :)

10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

The stitch line itself won't leak, or shouldn't unless it's a massive problem. The actual stitches are either side obviously internally.

You might get a stitch popping through eventually. My chihuahua's stitches were blue, but they could be any colour. Depends what the supplier is.

After my chihuahua had her antibiotics and was all healed she did have a random stitch appear, pop through the skin but no infection.

Calvine likes this.
  11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Harry1988: Did you manage to ring the vet about your concerns with your girl?

12. Harry1988

Morning! Yep, we got to the vets and the vet was really pleased with her and how it’s healing. She was super impressed. She said the lump should with a few weeks but to go back if it’s still there or oosing with liquid. She thinks it’s the stitches underneath and said it’s quite normal for this breed. As she’s quite happy with herself, no need for antibiotics. So we had the first night of cone free. Freedom from the cone of shame at last!

Thanks for asking and thanks everyone for the help and advise

Calvine and lullabydream like this.
  13. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Thank you for updating us!

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice