Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chihuahua 9 weeks

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Shelleygo888, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Shelleygo888

Shelleygo888 PetForums Newbie

Hi, we have recently got a 9 week old male Chihuahua and have 4 year old twins. First time I have owned a Chihuahua but I have read they can be aggressive towards children. I must admit in the 3 days we have had him he has been an absolute dream. He goes in his crate all night without a bark or a whimper. He is a chilled dog and we have only heard him bark twice and not once has he growled. One twin plays with him a lot and as yet he has not shown any aggression (obviously the twins safety comes first). He is a puppy and does love to bite though which I am currently training him not to do. My question to all the Chihuahua pro’s out there is would this be his temperament for life will he continue to be laid back or could he become aggressive in time, this is a big issue to me with having small children. I’m just after some piece of mind. Thanks

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

People think of Chihuahuas as aggressive because they some times they are treated like toys and accessories rather than dogs, and the owners don't listen when the dog is telling them they don't like something, so as a last resort they bite which gets them what they want!
    Watch your dog. If he's happy bouncing around while your child plays with him then great. If he's looking unsure, trying to get away, then stop your child from playing and give your pup some space. The best thing you can do is listen to your dog. If it is growling then things have already gone too far and you've missed the early signs that your pup isn't happy.
    Don't allow your children to pick up and manhandle the pup, only play on the ground where pup has space to get away. If he's a nice chilled pup now it's likely that is his temperament, barring any incidents of course!
    I know it sounds silly but pretend he's a labrador or great dane puppy, and don't do anything with him that you wouldn't with a much larger breed. You can still teach him to be picked up and that being picked up is nice, but don't assume he will like it or tolerate it.

3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

What she said @Sarah H

Can I just add, what you are seeing as chilled now, might be he's shut down a little, a little overwhelmed hence why he's not crying when he's left in his crate. This may still come.

How are you teaching him not to bite is important too.. Chihuahuas are as you have found out really nippy, bitey little monsters and currently if he's 9 weeks developmental wise he's probably more like a 5/6 week old puppy. He will be still getting his teeth through. Most chihuahuas have their full set of full teeth at about 10 weeks, and the bitey will become more of an issue then. Also physical development may be a little behind on running, walking say compared to an 9 week lab. Most chihuahuas go to their new owners at 12 weeks so just be aware you have a little baby on your hands and will need a little more support, and house training might be exceptionally hard initially because like in most mammals the sphincter muscle is the last to develop. You will get there though. You could always have a fairly forward little one too.

JoanneF and Sarah H like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice