Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

chicks

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by jenny22, Apr 28, 2011.

1. jenny22

jenny22 PetForums Member

well we now have lots of them, the first lot are now 6 weeks old, 5 out of 6 eggs hatched yesterday, four are brown and one is yellow with a big black V down his back, dont know what he is and the third broody has hatched some but wont let me near them, they are under her and I can hear them but she wont let them come out. only hatched this morning so looking forward to seeing them tomorrow.

will try and get some photos

jenn

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

that is great news well done on the hatching

3. jenny22

jenny22 PetForums Member

silly chicken moved off the nest with some and left four eggs behind half pecked open could hear chicks peeping in so I put them back under her and last I looked she was sitting on the lot. incubators are BEST but not so much fun.

had a goose once that sat on 18 eggs and walked off the day before they were due to hatch!!!

jenn

4. chickenrun

chickenrun PetForums Member

Congrats on the new arrivals :D
    I love incubating i got ducklings due monday.

I have just got 2 silkie hens i might put some duck eggs under them if they go broody.

cant wait for the pics

5. jenny22

jenny22 PetForums Member

just cant believe it, yet again these thieves have struck, overnight our small bantam with her 5 6 week old chicks were stolen, this is the 5th time in a year

I dont want to play this game of soldiers any more

jenn

6. chickenrun

Bloody hell that is taking the p**s there are some muppets out there. some people havnt got nothing better to do.. if i ever caught anyone nicking my ducks ill make sure they cant walk out.

Im just waiting for the day someone stands on top of one of my runs and fall though trying to get in the garden as they will hurt themselfs badly. and not just by falling through :D

I would put some cameras up to catch them.

Do you sell chickens to other people?

mitch

7. jenny22

jenny22 PetForums Member

thanks for reply mich, that was the idea we had a friend wanted them if they were hens, we have the police and the local paper coming down again tomorrow thing is we cant afford cameras as we have over an acre of garden and they are in the orchard part. we moved them from the field as thts where the first lot went/ my oh is very mild but he said this morning, well Im 72 and I dont care if I got a criminal record at my age they wouldnt walk out if I caught them Im afraid Im the same mind, I would help him!!!!! in fact Id be there before him. thing is its horrid cause we know we are being watched, thy waited until we were out the sat before christmas and came in and stole our ducks, wthin an hour of our going out and coming back. we know somone comes in as things are 'moved'.

jenn

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

fcuking hell what is this bloody country coming to when hens and chicks are getting nicked i would set up another hen with chicks and then hide away with a base ball bat when they come come in batter them

9. jenny22

jenny22 PetForums Member

thanks big daddy, thing is we have just discovered that our small black and white hen was taken too, her cockeral is fierce so you tend to open them up and run, as he comes charging out and she followed stately like, was so hiped up about the chicks that until I went down at lunch time to check them all again she wasnt there, their pen is next to the chick ones. do you think g.flowl would help had them before and they are noisy so and sos but you dont lock thm up as they roost in trees, at least ours did. I cant think straight,

jenn

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

they may do but if you are going to have a mixed flock you can only have 1 cock as game cocks are nasty and they wont tollerate another they are a lot harder well if you have had them before you will no

i would have a look at the way they are getting in and try and do some thing about that mabye put blots and paddlocks on the house when you lock them in ?

11. chickenrun

now they are taking the p**s taking others aswell.

you want to get some geese from babys so they are friendly with you and let them roam around free range even at night the f**kers shouldnt come in then..

Another idea is to get some rape alarms and put them on the inside on coop doors. put the rape alarm on oneside and the pull cord on a hook the other side so you can get your hand in to unhook it so they dont go off.... and when they open the door they wont know its there and when it goes off give them a shock.... if your in you will hear it.
    I have one on my shed.

Or get some padlocks and padlock every openings.

I know we shouldnt be doing all this but this is what this world is coming too.

I have to be on gaurd all the time as i have people come round to buy ducklings, they could come back one night or when im out but touch wood the people that come round seem all right.

My mate is the same he dont even let them in his garden he takes the birds to the front of his house.

mitch

12. jenny22

jenny22 PetForums Member

its difficult to put locks on as thy are coops with attached run also thy get in via the rugby field next to our pony field, climb over the pony field gate, through th pony field, ito the back of the orchard, we have so many b trees that you cant see dpwn there unless you are in the garden, they cant come up the drive as there is a locked gate at the bottom. thnks for the advice tho thing is we are retired (sorry not a moan) and on a fixed income and you budget for everything (like a lot of people ) and things like cameras etc. dont come within that budget

thanks for all your replies and suggestions, it really makes you feel supported

jenn

13. jenny22

jenny22 PetForums Member

well miracles do happen - after all the trauma of th stolen ones of the last to hatch was having difficulty getting out of the shell, yes I know you shouldnt but its cheeping was gtting fainter, so I broke the shell a little and it struggled out, I thought it was dead and all day yesterday I actually cuddled it and had it in a box in the greenhouse, at one point I thought it had died and was going to put it on the muck pile and its little leg twitched, so I cuddled it a bit more (probably shouldnt do that either) and left if in the greenhouse, last night it was tryi ng to get up so I put it back with the hen, thinking well if it dies it will at least be with its mum, and lo and behold this morning its running around, a dear little cream and brown one, I felt so full I couldnt speak

to whoever is up there thank you

jenn

14. chickenrun

Aww that is a nice end to the day (so to speak) after all the trouble you have had.

If there is a god he has just help you bounce back.

all the best

15. jenny22

jenny22 PetForums Member

well we are once again notorious a 3/4 page spread in the local rag, photos of ab and me with chick and hen. got some rape alarms and have to put them on somehow, oh is away for the day so will try to get them on tonight.

jenn

16. chickenrun

hope you managed to fit them on?
    see im not just a pretty face haha with good ideas :D

If you havnt managed to fit them i can draw a diagram for you.

lets just hope the theifs get caught trying to sell them to someone who seen the paper.

mitch

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice