Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chickens for small garden?

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by Alvina, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Alvina

Alvina PetForums Junior

Are there any breeds of chicken that don't mind or (or can thrive in) the British weather and are okay in a small garden which has tall fences.
    Thinking of chickens more as a garden pet then livestock but having occassional eggs would be a lovely bonus.
    I would like chicken that are calm and would love some attention, that can bond with owners.

Are Orpingtons, Easter eggers or Lincolnshire buffs suitable?
    I don't mind a little bit of scratching or diging in the garden, I made the garden sparrows their own dust bath in the garden.
    What is the minimum number of hens that can be kept whilst maintaining good welfare and stress down.

Any kind advice would be lovely, thank you.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Alvina likes this.
  3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

How small is small?

Have you checked you are allowed livestock where you live?

4. Alvina

Alvina PetForums Junior

My neighbors have canaries, ducks and I think I can hear chickens too.
    A couple roads away there is definitely a rooster I hear during my lunch walk.
    My home is not rented.
    We do have foxes in the area but since the neighbors fixed their fence, they can't get in my garden anymore
    (Been spying on my garden with a wildlife camera :) )

I don't know the measurements of my garden right now but its not tiny, I have had guinea pigs in a hutch and made a run for them on the grass which was regularly moved around to avoid "bald" spots.
    I haven't thought about rescue hens before (I was thinking of adopting from Pets4Homes), what are the usual breed.
    Looks aren't important, just that they are okay with drizzle and frost.
    What's the maximum travel time do you think is okay to collect/transport hens?

5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

My ex-batts have always been such lovely birds. Despite their poor start they have always been friendly & very inquisitive. They usually look dreadful when you pick them up but it's amazing seeing them blossom as they settle in.

Even if you have tall fences a fox can easily scale one if it knew you had chickens so a secure coop at night is still a must. Make sure it's waterproof, easy to clean out & non-draughty.

The British Hen Welfare Trust may be able to answer any more questions you have …. https://www.bhwt.org.uk/rehome-hens/

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

You are giving them a house?

Cleo38 likes this.
  7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

You also need to consider shelter when they are out, if it is very sunny then they will need to be able to sit in areas of shade & have somewhere to go in heavy rain.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Alvina

Alvina PetForums Junior

Of course I am giving them a house, one of the five needs of the Welfare Act.
    I was initially researching silkies because they are friendly but they don't get along with rain.
    I just wanted a breed that is more suited to a colder climate and won't get put off by rain when they are having supervised garden roaming in the day.
    I plan to make my own coop and roofed run as I have done with guinea pigs, hamsters and mice.

#8 Alvina, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
  9. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

I would second Lurcherlad and say rescue hens are your best bet, we have six ex battery hens and they are very friendly and have loads of character, they are also fairly quiet.

Alvina and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice