Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chicken Prolapse

Discussion in 'Poultry Health and Nutrition' started by Nico0laGouldsmith, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Nico0laGouldsmith

Nico0laGouldsmith PetForums VIP

:( :( :( got to sort this out! after one of my chickens died for no apparent reason the other day. . .my other one now has a prolapse :( :( :( poor thing!!!! got to clean it and shove it back in and hope for the best! if it keeps coming out she will have to be PTS. . . no I'm not going to neck her. . . .she will be put to sleep by a vet. . . she's a pet to me :(

2. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

All the best with it. If you can, keep her isolated from the other hens, as if she prolapsed again when you are not around, other hens may try pecking at it and then you'd stand no chance with her.

My hens are also my pets.

3. Nico0laGouldsmith

:) thanks for your reply. . . . on closer inspection I don't think it's an actual full prolapse. . . because there was a little tiny bit at the top of the vent I was able to push in a tiny bit and it didn't come back out but the rest is not like loose flesh so it wont move. . .it just looks pink and a bit sore. . . it looks like she has plucked the feathers out of it because it has been irritated by something. . .someone else who keeps chickens has told me to cover her in lice powder because that will irritate the vent and make her pluck it. . . I only have one chicken at the moment. . .my poor Molly died the other day (cause unknown) she died peacefully in her sleep. . . so we're just waiting a few weeks after disinfecting everything to make sure Maisy doesn't get sick and then get another one or 2 to introduce at night and keep her company. . .we have ducks but she doesn't walk around with them like she did with Molly. . .

I've smothered it in vaseline to try and remove any irritation around the vent and I'm keeping a close eye on her and her bum :p

I will continue to clean it with salt water until it either seems like it's not getting better and we have to seek help from a vet orrrrrrrr if it's better :) poor baby

4. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

Just be aware that often chickens prolapse because they are egg bound or constipated and often their backend looks red and sore from it - I'd maybe ask your vet to take a look. A few teaspoons of veg oil mixed in with her feed may help to smooth things out so to speak! I've had chooks prolapse before and it's not very nice at all - needless to say they got the golden handshake to stop them suffering as it usually keeps happening, so I'd get her to a vet - I hope it is fixable!
    I also wouldn't bother with lice powder - useless stuff - use the spot on bug killer as it is more effective, if she has lice you should be able to spot them easily, however for a sick or distressed bird I would ask your vet as giving it chemicals and handling it more than needs be could tip it over the edge and kill her - I've had them die just as they are picked up from toxic shock, so keep her somewhere warm and quiet until you can get her checked out.

5. Nico0laGouldsmith

this one doesn't mind being handled. . .she jumps up on your lap if you're sitting down near her :) she's not unwell at all. . .she seems really happy and content . . .she sort of craves affection like a dog hahaha

she laid an egg today so I'm not worried about her being egg bound. . .I normally put cod liver oil in the feed because I've been told that helps them to make their eggs. . . but I'll try some veg oil and see if it makes a difference :)

thanks for the advice. . . she'll definitely be going to the vet if she starts to act differently or doesn't produce eggs. . . because at the moment there isn't really anything for the vet to see or anything :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice