Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chicken pox

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by WelshOneEmma, Apr 17, 2011.

1. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

my one year old nephew has just been hospitalized with chicken pox (he is covered inc his eyes). Now I am meant to be going to a baby shower later in the week - am I ok to still go this?

2. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Have you had chicken pox? and have you been around your nephew alot since he got it?

3. WelshOneEmma

I had it when i was younger, and was there today as sis had run out of stuff so got it for her.

Just been told although they saw him at the hospital and have given her loads of things for him, they have sent him home. Have said it is a severe case, but not the worst they have seen.

4. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Agree. If you haven't had it it can take up to two weeks before the rash begins and you're more contagious before it develops. Very important - if you're not immune there are herpes drugs available that will help you heal faster. You have a three day window from the onset of the rash. If this is you I would strongly recommend calling your family doctor and getting a prescription to hold onto in case you need it. Remember the older you are before contracting chicken pox the more severe it can be. It can be deadly in an adult. If you've already had it then you can't pass it on.

If however you'd like to get out of going to the baby shower it is a damn good excuse!

And I hope your nephew gets better very soon. How horrible for him. :(

5. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

if it were me i`d avoid going, it`s not something i would risk as you can have chicken pox more than once although it`s not very common but me and my daughter both had it twice as children (the second time i was like your nephew and i even had them down my throat :() i know it`s unlikely that you`ll have contracted them but i`m extra para about things like that

6. 0nyxx

0nyxx PetForums VIP

chicken pox left my son diabetic at the age of 3 he ad a severe case too that was 19yrs ago!

7. LyndaDanny

LyndaDanny PetForums Senior

It can be extremely harmful to an unborn child as well.

8. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Yeah thats why they are asking about it.

To be honest its probably best to stay away, I dont know whether you carry if you have had it. Or just tell the person the situation and they can decide. They may have had it themselves, then it wont be a problem cause they are immune. I got scared when it was in Alfies school cause I had never had it and they tested me and I wasnt immune. But luckly Alfie never caught it. It is a scary thing cause it is so dangerous. But yeah talk to the person that is having the baby shower.

9. WelshOneEmma

well turns out she had the baby on the weekend so the shower is off! I was planning to ask her anyway what she wanted me to do, but definitely plan to ask her now!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice