Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chicken Neck Woes

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by cbrookman, Sep 27, 2013.

1. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Well after the disastrous episode last weekend with the sprats:( I decided to carry on with raw feeding but to avoid raw fish in the future. My dogs have all eaten plenty of lamb tripe(4 weeks) and also had about 3 weeks of being fed chicken necks 2/3 times/week. After the weekend of sickness I began feeding tripe again (so far so good) and by Wednesday had fed their first meal of chicken necks since their sickness bout. Thursday morning my Golden Retriever had vomited chicken bones(eaten nearly24 hours earlier) and also done a small amount of diarrhea in the early hours of the morning. He had around 5 more bouts of the runs (watery but no blood) yesterday but after him being so sick last weekend I was concerned about not feeding him so fed as normal with Prokolin. Today he has vomited grass and all the way round on his walk was straining to pass motions. He produced 2 small soft poos after much straining :( but the rest was bloody liquid. I have not fed him at all today as I want to give his poor insides a rest. I am worried that undigested chicken bones may be blocking his digestive tract and the bone may have scratched his insides. How likely is a blockage?

2. PennyGSD

PennyGSD PetForums Senior

I have to say if I was in your position I'd be whipping him straight the vet. Bloody diarrhea might be innocuous as a result of straining, but needs investigating in case it's not.

3. Prowl

Prowl Guest

As this has happened 24 hours after the meal I don't think the food is responsable as it only takes 8 hours for dogs to digest their food.

4. patterdalelass

patterdalelass PetForums Senior

Maybe a vet visit to be on the safe side.

5. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

I'd be at the vet as well. Not worth taking the risk.

6. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

I'd be taking him to the Vet.

7. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

Hi everybody, thanks for the replies. As it was, my dog was still well in himself (doing plenty of zoomies and playing with his baby brother) and his tummy didn't seem to be sore to him when I gave it a good feel, so I decided to give it one more day to see if he could pass a normal poo (which he did :)) Since then we have continued feeding tripe with no problems and also today tried minced lamb (with bone and offal). So far so good, the bone pieces are no bigger than 1cm so I don't predict any problems. Trouble is I am now too scared to feed the chicken necks I have (11kg!!!). I read the link about raw feeding on Goblin's signature(very informative) and it said not to feed chicken necks to larger breed dogs :confused: I was under the impression that chicken necks were nice small and relatively soft bones and ideal as an introductory bony meal? My other 2 dogs did OK on them but I am a bit scared about risking feeding again. All the dogs seemed to swallow them down and I don't want to hold them for fear of getting my fingers crunched :eek:
    Does anyone feed chicken necks to larger dogs? Is it safe?

8. Prowl

Prowl Guest

I would have thought so because the bones are so soft their easy to crunch aand don't bind them so much.

I tend to feed the occasional chicken wing as I have some left over but avoid because I do find they make Millie quite constapated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice