Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chicken bones

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by merothe, May 3, 2011.

1. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

:eek: just got a fright :eek: but both cats are looking at me like I am nuts so maybe I am overeacting? :blink:

I had almost finished my dinner when the doorbell rang. Neither cat has ever stolen food from my plate so I just left my food to answer the door. I came back to find HALF a chicken leg bone on the floor with Humphrey crouched over it. I assume the other half is inside Humphrey...I had eaten the meat already

Having had dogs as a kid and being drummed into me that chicken bones kill dogs I freaked out :( but he seems fine...

Obviously I have learnt my lesson and will be much more careful in future :(

but are cats ok with chicken bones :blink: or should I worry?

I assume he crunched/chewed it or he may have trouble at the other end :blink:

2. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

As far as I'm aware, cats are fine with uncooked chicken bones - It's once they're cooked that they can be a problem as they're more brittle. Chicken leg bones can be quite hefty aswell can't they? :eek:

I'm not sure what to suggest without causing probably unneccesary panic, so I'll leave it to the more intelligent posters! Sorry :eek:

3. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

It was cooked (as was my dinner :p) but quite a small bone

I guess the main risk is choking :confused: so since that didn't happen it's just waiting for it to pass through :confused:

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes, the main risk from eating cooked bones (regardless of whether they are chicken, lamb etc) is choking followed by obstruction in the abdomen/intestines. With any luck it will all be fine but perhaps keep an eagle eye for the next 24 hours or so and any changes (such as vomiting, lethargy etc) take him to the vet asap.

Considering that he seems to like crunching bone perhaps once this scare is over you might consider feeding them some raw chicken wings or other appropriate raw bones?

5. lizzykaty

lizzykaty PetForums Member

i didnt know cats could have raw chicken bones, is that with the raw meat left on it?

6. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Raw meat is very good for cats :) chicken wings are great for teeth ( raw )

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes, with the raw meat still left on. Certain bones are a little too difficult (e.g. drumstick) but chicken wings, chicken necks or chicken ribs are a good ones to get them to tear meat off the bone or even crunch some bone, which helps keep their teeth clean.

merothe likes this.
  8. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Thanks :) will keep an eye on him. He is wolfing down dinner (his second dinner...well third if you count part of my dinner :rolleyes:) so no obvious problems

Are any raw chicken bones ok? Or just wings and legs? Also (sorry if is dumb question :blink:) but are you saying to feed him just the bone to chew kinda like a dog? Or with all the meat attached too?

I am a recently reformed vegetarian so still figuring out how to feed myself meat :D the cats are a whole other level of confusing :D

9. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Oops sorry I was slow and my questions are already answered :D
    Thanks

10. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Apart from the obvious worry, at least your cat is good at chomping bone!! Takes some cats absolutely ages to do that when you start raw feeding. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice