UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Chick crumbs for cat litter

3K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Dozymoo 
#1 ·
Okay guys, your opinions and the cheapest place to get it from please. Thanks.

#6 ·
Ive been using it for the last 12 months , Down here its gone up from, £9 to £13 :( I cant get it any cheaper without travelling for miles:(

Brill stuff though, better than cat litter IMO:)
Where can you get it from though? ON line pref or big stores? Does it clump? Track? last a long time?

#7 ·
My pet shop orders it for me, I get the organic ones, they eat it now and again:rolleyes:

It does track a little but no more than any other litter, a tracking matt helps loads.

Iv never known anything to clump as well, a 20kg bag lasts me about 3 weeks, depends on how many cats you have. I would say it lasts about 4x longer than clay type litters and theres no smell as you scoop all the wees and poos out.

#11 ·
My pet shop orders it for me, I get the organic ones, they eat it now and again:rolleyes:

It does track a little but no more than any other litter, a tracking matt helps loads.

Iv never known anything to clump as well, a 20kg bag lasts me about 3 weeks, depends on how many cats you have. I would say it lasts about 4x longer than clay type litters and theres no smell as you scoop all the wees and poos out.
Sounds great - got a brand name so I can ask my pet shop to do the same?

#14 ·
they are mainly made of wheat and maize I think
Just had a bit of a google session and realised you're talking about chicken feed! I've never heard for this being used for cat litter before. :confused: Very interesting.. I might look into that around my area. The best litter I've used so far is "World's Best" but it's a bit too pricy for me! Looks like this might be a good alternative? :):)

#17 ·
Just had a bit of a google session and realised you're talking about chicken feed! I've never heard for this being used for cat litter before. :confused: Very interesting.. I might look into that around my area. The best litter I've used so far is "World's Best" but it's a bit too pricy for me! Looks like this might be a good alternative? :):)
You have to try it, ive not used commercial cat litter since, Its all rubbish in comparison. Plus when you have kittens theres no worries when they eat it:)

It smells funny at first but its not horrible, it reminds me of weetabix:eek: the cats seem to like it

#24 ·
I tried layers pellets (like chick crumbs but larger pellets) a while ago but had to give up as the tracking was dreadful (so I can imagine it'd be even worse with chick crumbs).. Very disappointing as it was certainly cheaper than cat litter!
Ive not tried layers pellets, I dont find the chick crumbs track too badly. I use a tracking matt and a daily hoover. I just have to watch the dog, hes cleared a whole litter tray of chick crumb in the past, it made him so ill.

#26 ·
Yes i've heard of other dogs who've eaten it and been poorly! I don't have a dog, fortunately :)

i might give it a try, perhaps i could use it in the stud houses, but i don't think i could cope with it in the house!

Ive not tried layers pellets, I dont find the chick crumbs track too badly. I use a tracking matt and a daily hoover. I just have to watch the dog, hes cleared a whole litter tray of chick crumb in the past, it made him so ill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.