Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Chi chi birth pending

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Anicea, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anicea

Anicea PetForums Junior

Good morning guys I am new to this forum and would like some help my little girl is pregnant I had her scan yesterday has she's always been a very chubby girl and wanted to out rule fantam pregnancy she's expecting 4 puppies any time now I started taking her temperature from yesterday morning is was first 37.1°c this was at 11.45 I took it again at 3.53pm which it had dropped to 36.8°c then it's been going up a little and then down again this morning at 5am it was 37.2°c she's only been eating very small to not eating much food which is not like her at all and is sleeping a lot one of her puppies are breech position and I have noticed that there is one puppy lay very low down near legs am very new to this but I have been doing a lot of research on it and came across this forum any help would be appreciated

2. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My chihuahua Honey had pups 6 months ago she too had 4 I started taking her temperature and it was up and down for about a week before the pups were actually born. I knew early on she was going to have the pups that day. She was very restless from early on

I am assuming your vet did the scan so they are aware she could go into labour at any time, It is important that someone is with her all the time chihuahuas can have problems in labour. Do you know anything about you bitches mother was she a self whelping bitch as this will give you an idea what to expect. Honey is from a long line of self whelping bitches and managed just fine on her own. In fact she was quite quick she had all 4 pups and an hour and a half.

Keep an eye out for signs such as digging ripping at her bedding and Honey did loads of little wees just before she had her first pup.Honey's first pup was born breech but apart from his head getting a little stuck she managed I had to help with him and gently was able to pull him out we thought he wouldn't survive but he did and is now a lovely 6 month old little boy,

As soon as you are sure she is starting let your vet know they they are aware you could be phoning if you have any problems and please especially with the weather being as it is at the moment do not let her outside without having a lead on the last thing you want is a pup to be born outside in these freezing temperatures.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Exactly what day is she due? I find this the best starting point as this gives me an idea when to start close observation. I tend not to take temperatures anyway but as advised above it's only one of the 'signs'.

Have you got a mentor handy whom you can talk to and who can give you a hand? Having a puppy in breech means a little help may be needed (to bring them through) we had a breech Lab pup last litter.

And yes, we always have the Vet on speed dial.

Nest making, general discomfort, intermittent wandering about, lots of weeing and then of course a bit of panting are the signs we watch out for ........and be ready to keep the pups warm!

J

4. Anicea

Anicea PetForums Junior

Hi thank you for your post yes her mother is a self whelping bitch and I had her private scan at home but my vets are aware of her pregnancy I've just done her temperature again and it's 37.1°c she was digging about a bit last night and she's not walking around much either she is eating very small amount of food and has one puppy lay near her back legs and another above it she's will only walk small not very far before she goes back to her bed

5. Anicea

Anicea PetForums Junior

Hi James she's due on the 6th of march so not very far away from the due date am not sure if you can see my profile picture but that is her on my profile picture as you can see she is very big and she's only a small breed and no I don't have anyone to hand other than my vets on stand by

6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

She's feeling the weight and it looks like the pups are moving into positions - just relax and monitor her at all times. She'll let you know when she is imminent.

Make sure she stays in her whelping box area ...they can sometimes wander off when the first pup starts to come and deliver in a different 'safe space'. And as Freyja above says - follow her outside when she goes for a wee etc ( I used to carry a towel ready to catch any sudden pups born outside!).

J

7. Anicea

Anicea PetForums Junior

Thank you for your comments I've contacted my vets just to keep them posted on Chichi she doesn't go outside for wee she use the mats to wee on inside I've been getting her to walk around abit more and the puppy has move down more but she's comfortable at the moment which is good am staying with her through out the whole process and not leaving her unattended I have lots of towels and her whelping area is already for birth it's in a very dark room which is very quiet and she loves it in there thanks for your help James and fara

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  8. David C

David C PetForums Member

I have Chihuahua's and have a bitch due in 9 days who is as big as your girl is now, Your girl is only eating small amounts because there isn't much room in her tummy for food with the puppies in there. I find it best to feed them small amounts of their daily allowance 3 or 4 times a day. She will also be peeing lots because of the puppies pressing on her bladder. Don't rely on her temperature too much as its not always reliable, Yes there is a drop in temperature about 12 hours before the first stages of labour occur but you can easily miss that as it tends to go back to normal fairly quickly in my experience.
    She may go off her food when she goes into the first stages of labour but then she may not. 2 of my bitches have eaten all the way up to an hour or so before they have whelped their first pups. Intermittent scratching up at bedding is also fairly normal with chi's in the week running up to the pups being born but as the others have said watch out for proper digging in her bedding ie digging like she is on a mission lol. Also another sign to watch out for is her trembling, my bitches all do this in the first stages of labour when they are having the smaller internal contractions moving the pups in place. This can go on for up to 12 hours easily before proper contractions start in order to push the pups out.
    Have you bought liquid calcium ( colocal D ) because you will need to give her this every day as soon as she has had the pups as chi's are quite prone to getting eclampsia if they are not having a calcium supplement daily .

9. Anicea

Anicea PetForums Junior

Thanks for your message she's been digging like mad this evening and puppies are starting to move more down I took her into my vets to have her looked at and they said it will be very soon and that all dogs are different in the way they start labour either way she's not on her own has I am with her through out this journey I do also give her small amount of food but she is not eating much of it at all but will go back and forth I do have a lot of items here for her and puppies when birth takes place and for after birth thanks for your message

10. David C

David C PetForums Member

Pleaase make sure you have liquid calcium to give your bitch every day starting as soon as she has them because eclampsia can kill the bitch xx

Anicea likes this.
  11. Anicea

Anicea PetForums Junior

I do have liquid calcium for her already I got it off my vets and I also have puppy formula in case of any issues with feeding thanks again David

David C likes this.
  12. Ella28

Ella28 Banned

Wow an impending birth! :Kiss.
    I have no experience with a pregnant bitch as my dogs have never had puppies, plus most of them have been male, but i can't wait to see your new puppies, hoping everything goes well and will patiently await the birth, along with every member! :D

Anicea likes this.
  13. Anicea

Anicea PetForums Junior

Thank you Ellie my bitch is a first timer but her mum is not she's doing amazingly well considering its her first time there has been a pattern in her temperature has its continued to go down since but I am just staying with her at all times and my vets on speed dial incase of emergency am very excited to meet little puppies and I will keep you updated on chi chi and send you pictures of the puppies in due time hope all goes well with your little lady x

14. David C

David C PetForums Member

How is she doing :) x

15. Anicea

Anicea PetForums Junior

Hi David still no puppies yet lots of digging and panting vets been to see her and said she's comfortable and there happy for her to continue waiting to deliver puppies her temperature has continued to drop since the other times I've taken them and this morning it was 35.1°C so hopefully won't be much longer

16. David C

David C PetForums Member

Sounds to me like they could be on the way, Good luck and let us know how she's doing :) xx

17. Anicea

Anicea PetForums Junior

Thank you David hopefully they are but I will keep you posted on chi chi

18. Anicea

Anicea PetForums Junior

Puppies are also lay very low down now aswell to above her jewel area so hopefully soon be here

19. Ella28

Ella28 Banned

We want puppies.... We want puppies! :Kiss. Ahhhhh shouldn't be too long now, i love the little squeaky sounds that puppies make, my friends Jack Russel had 3 puppies last year, they were adorable!

20. Ella28

Ella28 Banned

Thanks! My bundle of joy is a Labrador, she's called Lulu and dives onto my lap when i sit down, she's too big now though to sit on my lap but she still tries!:Kiss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice