Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chews

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ForestWomble, May 15, 2017.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Can anyone recommend chews to help clean the teeth that are not bones or animal parts?
    Bungo usually has rawhide but he is getting bored of those and isn't chewing them much.

Thank you

2. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

3. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Any particular reason you don't want bones or animal parts?

Rawhide is from an animal - alternative to rawhide you can get pressed tripe bones.
    Other hard chews; although from an animal - dried gullets, ears, pizzles, beef scalp, fish skin and if he isn't a hard chewer; antlers.

What about brushing?

ForestWomble likes this.
  4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Mine adore Fish4Dogs sea wraps, they are strips of sweet potato wrapped in dried fish skin. The range of fishy chews is excellent , the fish skin twists go down well too.
    They love Smartbones too, a vegetable alternative to rawhide with different flavour fillings. Expensive but long lasting and worth it.

ForestWomble likes this.
  5. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Mine get pizzles, they have a nylabone each and i get them fish knots, the sea wraps etc. They’ve also got the Dentist attachment for their Connectable...Fidget will have a good chew on this, Sara is more of a “crack it open, get the treats, done!” kinda gal.

They used to have antlers, but since Sara cracked a tooth and ended up with a nasty root abscess we’ve stopped giving these; it might not have caused it, but we didn’t want to risk it!

Both of them have very lovely teethy pegs :)

ForestWomble likes this.
  6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Whimzees.

ForestWomble likes this.
  7. ForestWomble

Thanks

There are various reasons (concerned about bones splinting or my dog breaking a tooth. As for body parts concerned about fat content, my dog has a sensitive stomach and worried about smell)

sea wraps and Smartbones sound like possibles. Thanks

Thanks.

Good idea, sadly I gave Bungo one recently and it caused him a runny bum :(
    ]

8. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Frozen carrot?

ForestWomble likes this.
  9. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Pizzles are very low fat, but are animal parts obviously. And if worried about smell I wouldn't go with fishy ones!!!

ForestWomble likes this.
  10. ForestWomble

He will eat carrot sometimes so yeah, that's one option, thanks.

11. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Most animal parts, with the exception of pigs ears, are pretty low fat - pizzle, cow ears, pig snouts, dried tripe all certainly are - I've turned into a bit of a dog-food-fat-content dork since Ozzy had pancreatitis last year!

Soopa chews might be another one to look at - their regular range is just dried papaya, coconut or sweet potato - just the fruit/veg, nothing else and they smell very pleasant! They've got a new range of dental sticks too, although we've not tried those yet.

Yakkers/Himalayan chews are not bad for delicate chewers - unlikely to get anything off to cause a stomach upset and no offensive odour. No good for chompers though.

ForestWomble likes this.
  12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Mine have had sweet potato chews called smart bones, they don't last as long as rawhide, but these are avid chewers anyway and can even get through rawhide pretty quickly so they may last a lot longer for yours. They do different sizes

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/smartbones-sweet-potato-small-6-pack

ForestWomble likes this.
  13. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Just a quick heads up on SmartBones - they used to be US-made, but they've now swapped production to China :( It is written in teeny tiny writing on the pack! My dogs used to love them but I won't buy them anymore. Shame!

14. Sled dog hotel

Thanks for the heads up according to their website they are still saying the following on quality and manufacture which is a bit naught of them to say the least

https://www.smartbones.com/why-smartbones/quality-assurance/

ForestWomble likes this.
  15. ForestWomble

Thank you. Very helpful. That's good to know about the animal parts, for some reason I thought they were all rather fatty.

Soopa chews sound like one to look into more.

Not sure if you could call Bungo a delicate chewer so I'll forget those.

Thank you Sled dog. Not good about China, I won't buy anything for Bungo from there. :(

16. SixStar

SixStar Banned

It's hidden in their FAQ that they're made in China and even more hidden on the packaging! They're very sneaky. I only noticed whilst queuing to pay in Pets At Home one day - they used to have a big American flag on their packet with ''proudly USA made'' and I just happened to clock that it now said ''USA approved'' or something to that affect, I then checked the back and found made in China. Unfortunately the Webbox Dreambones, which are the same kind of thing, are the same too :(

Whimzees, made in Holland, are a good alternative (obviously not for Bungo if they upset him) but may be ok for your dogs SDH.

Sled dog hotel and ForestWomble like this.
  17. Sled dog hotel

Thanks sixstar will have a look at those. Luckily they haven't had the smartbones for ages I don't go into P@H that often.

18. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Cow and rabbit ears I find are very low on smell and they're not greasy like some animal parts are so the place where they're eating it doesn't smell of the chew afterwards either.

Sled dog hotel and ForestWomble like this.
  19. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

A Kong dental bar with toothpaste in the grooves goes down well here

20. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

So if the Smartbones are manuafactured in China , but to USA trade standards , would they still not be accetable ? I'm actually really disappointed , thought they were a good option and just bought a packet at the weekend !:(:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice